Billie Joe & Avicii, Thoughts?

kiarakoval

I think this could be a hit, although a bit hard to tell from such low quality.

And it seems to me that some people are a bit too quick to dismiss Avicii as rubbish. You may not like the genre in general, but I would argue that some of his songs are among the best tracks to be written in recent years.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has bitched about lots of pop music over the years naming individuals and bands and just pop music in general for causing the decline in music quality. My main point however is now Billie has sang on this little beauty that would easily fit on any album by the artists he so wonderfully hates for causing the "steady decline in music". Both musically and most certainly lyrically this would fit on a BSB record. Call it dance, call it pop...it's mortifying to hear Billie's voice on it.

Genuinely don't see how this sounds anything like BSB (speaking as someone who is fond of BSB :P). I call dance music dance and pop music pop since they're different types of music, it's a bit much to pretend they're the exact same thing. A boy band who sing pop songs written and produced by other people and a DJ who writes and produces his own dance songs are two very different acts.

It's really catchy and I think Billie's voice really fits the song (and genre). It's hard to see past the terrible lyrics, but overall I quite like it!

And it seems to me that some people are a bit too quick to dismiss Avicii as rubbish. You may not like the genre in general, but I would argue that some of his songs are among the best tracks to be written in recent years.

Levels came out in 2011, that's plenty of time for me.

I fucking hate it. Trash. Garbage. Pop. Ew.

So, you hate pop music yet you're on a Green Day forum?

Interesting.

love it. can't wait for it to come out.

all y'all whining about it sound like angry 12 year olds to be honest. just because it involved a computer doesn't automatically make it shit.

I'll be bummed out if Avicii releases another song as a single because he thinks the artist has more pop appeal. I mean, considering he's collaborating with Bon Jovi, Wyclef Jean, Chris Martin etc, all of those artists have had arguably more commercial success in the last 5 years than Green Day has (OK, I have no clue about Wyclef Jean other than that time he was gonna run for President of Haiti), so it would make more sense from a business POV if he chooses one of their songs as a single.

Hopefully Billie's is the best, and he just likes Billie a lot :lol: I know someone mentioned that last time he just released all of his songs in order, and for some reason Billie's name *has* been at the top of most of the articles about this, so... here's hoping.

Who said Billie did anything wrong? This is a shitty collaboration in my opinion (and others from what i see on facebook) and bizzare that he choose to lend his voice to what I would have previously thought he would have considered to be tripe. And as for him not being so narrow minded to consider all pop music rubbish...he may like Gaga but he has insulted so many of tje major pop acts over the years it's safe to assume he really does believe what he says himself (how dumb does that sound...) when he summed it up at iHeart for example as "you've been listening to a lot of pop shit".

"It's safe to assume he really does believe what he says himself."

Cites iHeartRadio's drunken rant that he said in an interview he doesn't remember/hasn't watched himself as evidence of his opinions. Mmk, that makes sense.

"It's safe to assume he really does believe what he says himself."

Cites iHeartRadio's drunken rant that he said in an interview he doesn't remember/hasn't watched himself as evidence of his opinions. Mmk, that makes sense.

Ugh...stupidity should be outlawed. It's not my fault if you became a fan in 2012, began watching interviews then or simply have seen an extremely limited amount of Green Day material however as I pointed out in earlier posts which you ignored he has been bitching out pop since he got his hands on a microphone and the reason I mentioned iHeart is because it's about the last time he really spoke (or ranted without it being a repetitive "joy" thing at gigs ie. virtually scripted) in whatever form as he really doesn't give interviews etc anymore. Don't try and twist everything I said before...or for that matter the multitude of sober interviews in magazines and on tv Billie has given from '94 right up to recent times. Here's an idea...why not hit google or youtube ;)

I really am curious why everyone is SO defensive of pop/dance music on this site and slams anyone who dislikes one song by an artist who happens to collaborate with Billie yet more than half the site took 30 seconds to condemn the trilogy as the greatest crime against music ever...and they weren't too hot on 21st Century Breakdown either...but this song is the greatest song ever and anyone who says otherwise must be convinced otherwise or reminded how important and wonderful dance music is...perhaps those people should reconsider if they are really Green Day/rock etc fans or just "Billie" fans. Hmm.

I love this song and that's all I have to say about Vietnam.

Thats the best thing I've read on here in a while :lol:

It was a interview during the 21st era I believe or could've been AI maybe? but when asked if he allowed his kids to listen to uncensored albums he said no said not until they were older which I was not attacking him for as I agree but when he has had his kids at GD shows it just seems weird like it's ok if I cuss in front of my kids but no one else but I wasn't using that to start a debate or anything just that can't take Billie so seriously in interviews the I don't like this song this is what he is against etc so seriously

Maybe tman knows the interview I don't really follow or keep up with them only if I see one posted and have time to read em and I may not have been verbatim but I do recall a int saying he doesn't allow the kids to have uncensored music not until they were older

I remember I read something about it in that interview he did with Larry Livermore

that was posted on his blog..Billie talked about turning down the radio so his kids couldn't hear some words etc..

btw Billie is a walking contradiction and we all know that,but I appreciate the fact that he loves experimenting new things, bad or not.

Ugh...stupidity should be outlawed. It's not my fault if you became a fan in 2012, began watching interviews then or simply have seen an extremely limited amount of Green Day material however as I pointed out in earlier posts which you ignored he has been bitching out pop since he got his hands on a microphone and the reason I mentioned iHeart is because it's about the last time he really spoke (or ranted without it being a repetitive "joy" thing at gigs ie. virtually scripted) in whatever form as he really doesn't give interviews etc anymore. Don't try and twist everything I said before...or for that matter the multitude of sober interviews in magazines and on tv Billie has given from '94 right up to recent times. Here's an idea...why not hit google or youtube ;)

I really am curious why everyone is SO defensive of pop/dance music on this site and slams anyone who dislikes one song by an artist who happens to collaborate with Billie yet more than half the site took 30 seconds to condemn the trilogy as the greatest crime against music ever...and they weren't too hot on 21st Century Breakdown either...but this song is the greatest song ever and anyone who says otherwise must be convinced otherwise or reminded how important and wonderful dance music is...perhaps those people should reconsider if they are really Green Day/rock etc fans or just "Billie" fans. Hmm.

Does it matter if someone enjoys this song because they like Billie's singing (as if there's anything wrong with that) or because they like the song itself, or a mixture? Surely if someone enjoys something and it's harmless it doesn't matter and good for them. Just because we like rock music it doesn't mean we have to automatically dislike or be closed minded towards other music genres. I don't think anyone's bothered if someone just doesn't personally like this song, it's when you try and make out Billie's broken a solemn oath or something because he's slagged off some pop music in the past and now collaborated on a dance song, and that people are at fault for daring to like it.

Instead of having a debate about pop music as a form, can we instead talk about how this track is not only a warmed-over re-hash of "Wake Me Up," but also really, really misogynist and gross? I can't even believe Billie agreed to sing this bullshit.

Like, what the fuck is going on in this song? It's the audio equivalent of those euphoric fedora bros on Reddit. And I know the vocals are all sped up, but Billie sounds like fucking Tom DeLonge.

I was willing to be open-minded about this collaboration, but the preview realized all my worst fears about it. Just an abysmal failure in all respects. Pretty disheartening!

It does not sound bad, in my opinion. It might need a few more listens, but it's quite catchy and interesting.

perhaps those people should reconsider if they are really Green Day/rock etc fans or just "Billie" fans. Hmm.

are you serious? you are 29 years old. 29. you should know by now that people are allowed to like different genres of music, it's not a revolutionary concept. your entire argument is ridiculous.

Really pulling a new fan card shit?

As far as last sentence goes you know to be a Green Day fan you don't have to just like Green Day or rock alone alone you can like other fields including pop or dance or whatever if Mike went out and sung on a Keisha song you'll have people who'll like it cause Mike is on it doesn't make em bad fans

Also, why no punctuation?

Been over this before but 1) laziness (this isn't real importance as on I'll be graded or anything) 2) I'm always on a phone 3) bad health as my hands are starting to get worse hence why some of my posts are just very short

At this point I have concluded that absolutely nothing I say here will actually be understood (probably deliberately or possibly because people read one post and not others). No point in responding to all the repetitive points...just going to state (again sigh)...I myself like some pop music (oh the horror) and a variety of other genres of music too (thats for those too lazy to read back yet quick to inform me of the possibility of liking more than one type of music Oh My!), yes people can like or hate whatever they want but expressing a hatred of a song shouldn't evoke such a ridiculous reaction as it has on here. Those who said the song was great were ignored while those who called it shit were responded to by half the forum. That is a basic fact. And it is beyond pathetic to then talk about having different opinions/tastes.

Arguing about genre superiority is the domain of 12 year old youtube commenters. Can we just differentiate between good music and shite music, this falling squarely into the latter category.

Plenty of people called it shit and got no reaction. It's when we start talking about Billie doing this as the end of civilization and the decay of morality as we know it that things get out of hand.

How about everyone just quits arguing. If you like it, great. If you don't, that's great too. No need to try and convince someone else of your opinion.

Archived