Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Posted Image Trick or treat! We have a new Halloween theme. We also have two Halloween contests going on right now - enter with your pumpkin carvings here and your costumes here!

Photo

"Anti-homeless spikes" installed outside London flats.

News Debate

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

Morrissey.

Morrissey.
  • Yorkshire Pudding

• 16,155 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 17,061 rep

A shitstorm has emerged on Twitter after it came to light that spikes designed to deter rough sleepers have been installed outside a block of flats in Southwark, London. This kind of thing is nothing new; these spikes been springing up outside shops around more affluent areas of the city, such as on Regent Street, for a while:

Spoiler

Here's the photo from the block of flats:

homelessnessspikesv2.jpg

Clearly the goal is to stop homeless people sleeping outside residential buildings and businesses, and obviously the prevailing opinion is that it's horrific to demonise homeless people like this, as well as making life even more difficult for them. Even David Schneider has had his say on the matter, tweeting:

"Is that where we are now in Britain?

"How can we rid ourselves of the problem of homelessness?"

- "Little spikes in the ground?" 

- "Genius!"

So, how do you feel about it? Is it barbaric, or would you be comfortable with someone sleeping in your doorway? Obviously people have taken this as someone's attempt to "fix homelessness," but I don't really think that was the intention in the first place.

Here's a news story on the subject.

A homeless person was not available for comment.

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,495 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,167 rep

I'm on the fence about whether it's alright for a private building/business to do. But the claim by some people that it's to help homeless people/help end homelessness is the biggest load of shit I've ever heard.

• Lindsay and Morrissey. like this

Malleus

Malleus
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts
  • Joined Jan 30, 2010
  • 1,518 rep

Maybe it's the fact that it's almost 5am but fuck, this is funny as shit to me. Why you really think hard about it, it's sad and scary, but on the surface something about this is so hilarious. Fucking homeless people spikes.

• captain peroxide likes this

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 4,118 rep
That's what those things are? I thought they were for pigeons.

Aren't we (quite conveniently) shifting the blame, though? It should be the government's fault for not stepping in, and not trying hard enough to tackle the problem instead of insulting these people who don't happen to want it living on their doorstep.

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,716 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 16,018 rep

It's kind of fucked up, but can't say I blame them. If I had a business I'd be concerned about homeless people sleeping around my building. Thing is, one business alone can't fix the homeless situation and it's not fair that it becomes their responsibility. 

Sauli

Sauli
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 1,356 rep
I see both points. But it certainly is not gonna help the homeless. But I also know normally people don't like the homeless sleeping on their doorways and windowsills.
But spikes feel rude still.
Don't know aince here we haven't got many homeless people really and at least they don't sleep in the streets...but metropolises have their own problems.

So basically I guess spikes and their point can be understood, evenif its not necessarily right thing to do; but claiming they are helping the homeless is stupendous and actually quite hypocritical.

Backyard Skulls

Backyard Skulls
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,310 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2009
  • 1,088 rep
Instead of spending money installing spikes outside of buildings the government should be taking steps to actually help homeless people instead of allowing businesses to do this.
  • Floyd Pinkerton likes this

Sauli

Sauli
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 1,356 rep

Instead of spending money installing spikes outside of buildings the government should be taking steps to actually help homeless people instead of allowing businesses to do this.

True, I guess the government thinks this is much easier amd like outta sight, outta mind...but it's right wrong though I see the poibt.

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,716 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 16,018 rep

The government didn't spend money on them. The business owners did.

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 822 rep

It's disgusting. If people don't have anywhere to live, the government should be giving thems somewhere to live. This is indirectly threatening homeless people with spikes, which must be some kind of human rights offence.

Edited by SaintJimmy13, 09 June 2014 - 06:16 AM.

Black Dynamite

Black Dynamite
  • STOP WHEN THE RED LIGHT flashES

• 3,237 posts
  • Joined Apr 06, 2011
  • 3,331 rep

Seems like a great idea. Train them to get jobs as illusionists by having them lie on spikes for hours every night, eventually they'll be so good at it they'll be able to make a living doing street magic and will no longer be homeless from their new found source of income!

• BringMoreKnives likes this

Lindsay

Lindsay
  • Tittysprinkles

• 6,074 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2010
  • 4,085 rep

I can see why flat owners & businesses would install these, as people may be thrown off from buying a flat or visiting a business if there's a bunch of homeless people sleeping outside of it, but it's sad that it's come to that state. I don't see how people could say this "fixes" homelessness though, that's a bunch of bullshit. 

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,495 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,167 rep

The government didn't spend money on them. The business owners did.

True. I'd hope that this would serve as a wake up call to the government that they need to tackle homelessness better though. The current one has cut welfare and homeless services meaning it's easier to become homeless and harder to get help once you are. When we're at the point that people are putting spikes outside buildings to keep homeless people away like they're pigeons it shows that the government needs to do more.

• Fuzz, Mar and Sauli like this

Yussef

Yussef
  • love infinitely

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,369 posts
  • Joined Jun 22, 2006
  • 4,670 rep

cruel, cruel people. just disgusting.

• Trotsky likes this

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,536 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,691 rep

cruel, cruel people. just disgusting.

Indeed. There is no justification. 

Advertising

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 18,280 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 5,064 rep

True. I'd hope that this would serve as a wake up call to the government that they need to tackle homelessness better though. The current one has cut welfare and homeless services meaning it's easier to become homeless and harder to get help once you are. When we're at the point that people are putting spikes outside buildings to keep homeless people away like they're pigeons it shows that the government needs to do more.

That's how I feel. I do not blame the businesses for doing this on their private property as it can affect business and, in the case of these apartment buildings, the safety of the tenants, but it's sad that such a cruel (if, imo, justifiable) act is seen as the most effective way to combat the problem. Instead of government/society treating it like the socioeconomic problem it is, homelessness is now something that is dealt with on an individual/sole business level. It's just all about getting rid of, probably, one or two people that hang around, and that's the extent of the action - jut getting them AWAY, out of sight out of mind.

Morrissey.

Morrissey.
  • Yorkshire Pudding

• 16,155 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 17,061 rep

Boris Johnson wants rid of them. It feels weird having him talk sense.

• Hermione and SaintJimmy13 like this

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,492 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,480 rep

The worst one I saw was a bench with those spikes. There was a little meter on the side, so basically you have to pay to sit in a public place.  :mellow:

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Fuckity Bye

• 12,433 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,277 rep

Indeed. There is no justification. 

Nope. No justification at all. A private property owner has no right to discourage people from sleeping on their doorstep/windowsills!!

• Ryan, Comrade and Lindsay like this

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,536 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,691 rep

Nope. No justification at all. A private property owner has no right to discourage people from sleeping on their doorstep/windowsills!!

They couldn't have used all that money installing those things to donate toward a local shelter? No, because they're the same types of snobs who don't want shelters anywhere near them. "Not in my backyard" pricks.

• Yussef likes this

Morrissey.

Morrissey.
  • Yorkshire Pudding

• 16,155 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 17,061 rep

The worst one I saw was a bench with those spikes. There was a little meter on the side, so basically you have to pay to sit in a public place.  :mellow:

What the fuck?!

• Sauli likes this

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Fuckity Bye

• 12,433 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,277 rep

They couldn't have used all that money installing those things to donate toward a local shelter? No, because they're the same types of snobs who don't want shelters anywhere near them. "Not in my backyard" pricks.

Don't be dramatic, it doesn't suit you.

• Ryan likes this

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton
  • Head of Tom's legal council

• 19,149 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 3,040 rep

It's not being dramatic if it's true though?

• Trotsky likes this

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,469 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 2,947 rep

All this prompted was a pretty big wave of guilt that I don't do more to help the homeless. Obviously these spikes are horrible but at the end of the day can I really say anything? Must do some sort of volunteer work this summer tbh.

• Lady Nightlife likes this

Yussef

Yussef
  • love infinitely

• 17,369 posts
  • Joined Jun 22, 2006
  • 4,670 rep

POPULAR

I think treating people as pests is pretty dramatic.

• Amanda, ifmemoryserves, Trotsky and 5 others like this

9876gwen

9876gwen
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Joined Apr 10, 2012
  • 96 rep

I have to say thats kinda fucked up...Maybe ok for private residents but everywhere else not ok...I mean come on Britain...America isnt even that cruel to put spikes on the street... 

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• 15,815 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,466 rep

They couldn't have used all that money installing those things to donate toward a local shelter?

Donating to a local shelter doesn't mean that all the homeless people in that area would have a place to sleep every night. The course of action they chose solved their problem. In a very callous way that was, in my opinion, entirely unnecessary, but the point stands.

• Ryan and Mar like this

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,536 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,691 rep

Donating to a local shelter doesn't mean that all the homeless people in that area would have a place to sleep every night. The course of action they chose solved their problem. In a very callous way that was, in my opinion, entirely unnecessary, but the point stands.

And they now have expensive "we are terrible people" displays by their doors, congrats to them. 

• Sofouska likes this

Amanda

Amanda
  • Loved Very Much by Joey

• 30,275 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2005
  • 7,698 rep
This was an item of discussion on a TV panel show this morning. Christine Hamilton said that they are not spikes, they're studs. Spikes impale, whilst studs merely cause discomfort.
Well that's ok then :rolleyes:
  • Tubbie Head, Kayfabe, Morrissey. and 1 other like this

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• 15,815 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,466 rep

And they now have expensive "we are terrible people" displays by their doors, congrats to them. 

I guess I don't see your point. What they did wasn't illegal, even if it was hugely dickish, and if people don't like that, they can make the choice not to rent from those property managers.

• Ryan, Lindsay and Lady Nightlife like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News, Debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users