Green Day/Laney College Connection

IrishBritGirl

I'm a student completing her first year at Laney College in Oakland California and I've heard dozens of stories that 1 or more members of Green Day went to this college back when they were forming the band. I think its BS but sometimes there's underlying truth to Urban Legends. Does anyone know if this Laney College connection is true? Since I wasn't born until 1996, I don't know a lot of Green Day early history, except Wikipedia crap, which isn't, you know, always truthful. But i LOVE their music now and wouldn't it be cool to go to the same college as one of the band members.

So, true or false members of Green Day wend to Laney College in Oakland.

They're all high school drop outs. So no.

I thought only Billie dropped out. Not really sure though.

I thought only Billie dropped out. Not really sure though.

I know for sure Mike graduated. Their first tour started the day he did. He said he did it for his mom.

Mike did graduate highschool and went to college for a year i think. Tre dropped out but passed equivalency test.

Yeah Mike stayed at school and graduated. And Tre left high school but got his diploma at a local community college (up in the mountains where he lived, not in Oakland) instead. Billie was the only dropout. But none of them went to university type college.

Actually I read a really old interview from back in 1039 days and Billie said he had been taking a couple of classes at a local community college. I'll try to find it

Actually I read a really old interview from back in 1039 days and Billie said he had been taking a couple of classes at a local community college. I'll try to find it

Interesting! It can't have come to much though, he's said many times over the years that he never graduated/got his diploma.

Edit: Just realized the college the OP is talking about is a community college rather than a university (these US terms confuse me :P). Maybe he could've taken classes there then!

Found it on GDC! b0.rimg.tw/shingo_yabuki/f5d3d9ee.doc

It's a document though I couldn't find a link but I guess he doesn't say he's going to college but he says he takes night classes at a school. And he talks about Rest and how it "means absolutely nothing" lol and it gives some insight into Sobrante who I don't think I would particularly like and I'm not one of those people who just don't like him for no reason but he seems a little annoying

I always figured he was taking night classes to get his GED

Billie after he drop out high school he was going in a night school 2 days the week .!

I do believe that Tre did study at Laney College. I saw that online not long ago. Can't remember where. I do know that Tre said he did.

Interesting! It can't have come to much though, he's said many times over the years that he never graduated/got his diploma.

Edit: Just realized the college the OP is talking about is a community college rather than a university (these US terms confuse me :P). Maybe he could've taken classes there then!

I thought college was university in the US & I thought community college was like a free college - I have probably no clue.

I thought college was university in the US & I thought community college was like a free college - I have probably no clue.

People go to community college if they can't pay for university, didn't get a scholarship in high school, or can't get a grant from the government. It's not free, though, just cheaper. They stay there for two years and hopefully do well enough to get a scholarship to a university. If not they at least have their associates degree now and can probably start working more easily.

People go to community college if they can't pay for university, didn't get a scholarship in high school, or can't get a grant from the government. It's not free, though, just cheaper. They stay there for two years and hopefully do well enough to get a scholarship to a university. If not they at least have their associates degree now and can probably start working more easily.

It might be what we call tafe here - is an associate degree like a diploma or certificate which is what you get here after completing tafe & then you can upgrade to university & get a bachelor degree.

is an associate degree like a diploma or certificate which is what you get here after completing tafe & then you can upgrade to university & get a bachelor degree.

Sounds kind of like it. You get your associates after two years of college (assuming you get all the required credits) and bachelors after four. You also can get your associates at university but community colleges only offer up to associates.

I actually confirmed that one of them did attend Laney College in the Fall of 1990. So does anyone want to guess who it was?

I actually confirmed that one of them did attend Laney College in the Fall of 1990. So does anyone want to guess who it was?

From the info here it sounds like it was most likely Billie, since I think Mike stayed on at high school and graduated there, while Tre went to a community college further up north where he lived at the time to graduate, and Billie dropped out of high school before graduating but mentioned he was taking a night class one hour a week in a 1990 interview (posted further up this page). I guess it's possible that Mike did some further studies there rather than Billie, but since it was Billie who hadn't graduated yet and he's the one who's mentioned studying somewhere other than high school or a community college in another town it does seem most probable that it was him.

Archived