Turn It Around: The Story of East Bay Punk

Tightwad Hill

The Definitive Documentary on East Bay Punk is Coming (@: Pit Warning)

When I think of the new documentary Turn It Around: The Story of East Bay Punk, I think about a teenager named Jimmy Mahoney, who last year was called up on stage by Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day for a dream opportunity: to play guitar with his favorite band in front of thousands of people.

The band routinely does this for a lucky fan every night on tour, but on this night at the Oracle Arena, after Caleb’s guest turn, Billie Joe unexpectedly gave Mahoney his guitar, covered in stickers from early-’90s East Bay punk bands like Monsula, Econochrist and Spitboy.

You have to wonder: was the guitar intentionally decorated with names of other East Bay bands in order to provide its recipient with musical clues in a treasure hunt? And did Jimmy bring the guitar home and Google them, to discover the influence they had on his teenage heroes?

Turn It Around, a 158-minute documentary produced by members of Green Day which opens May 31, is that same idea in extended cinematic form. Released during Green Day’s current world tour of sold-out arenas, it’s their way of telling the world: We didn’t do this alone. The East Bay is special. Here’s where we came from.

It’s a job that tireless director Corbett Redford, 41, didn’t take lightly. “I know I’ve been tasked to represent a sacred history,” the musician, filmmaker, and Pinole native says. “I spent four years of my life letting it consume me. But it had to be done right.”

READ MORE:

https://ww2.kqed.org/arts/2017/05/16/the-definitive-documentary-on-east-bay-punk-is-coming-pit-warning/

Tim-Armstrong-Murray-Bowles-Robert-Eggpl

Tim Armstrong, Robert Eggplant, Murray Bowles, and Corbett Redford, after sorting through Bowles’ 30,000-strong photo archive.

GREEN-DAY-AT-GILMAN-1990-PHOTO-BY-MURRAY

Green Day with first drummer John Kiffmeyer at Gilman, circa 1990

• Like 2

Is this coming out in theaters, or video, or online? I want to know where to look for it. 

I want to know too, I believe they said it should be coming to some theaters around the world, but nothing more specific.

9 minutes ago, Marki. said:

I want to know too, I believe they said it should be coming to some theaters around the world, but nothing more specific.

Hopefully not the same way as that AI documentary, I don't even remeber how is it called. got it - HLAHG. 

I'd totally love to see it in a theater.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Hopefully not the same way as that AI documentary, I don't even remeber how is it called. got it - HLAHG. 

I'd totally love to see it in a theater.

Yeah (I think I fell asleep the last time I tried to watch that whole thing :ninja:

I can't wait to watch this documentary though, I'd love to see it in a theater! I hope they share more information after the premiere, I'm going to hold onto a bit of hope that it could come here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marki. said:

Yeah (I think I fell asleep the last time I tried to watch that whole thing :ninja:

I can't wait to watch this documentary though, I'd love to see it in a theater! I hope they share more information after the premiere, I'm going to hold onto a bit of hope that it could come here.

Me too. I'm not getting my hopes up too much, but it would be really nice :lol:

• Like 1

'Turn It Around' Looks Back at East Bay Punk 

The ambitious documentary dives deep into the East Bay scene’s genesis.

By Aaron Carnes

The brainchild of Green Day, Turn It Around is set to premiere at SF DocFest on May 31 and has secured a deal with distribution company Abramorama for a national theatrical run.

The project’s first iterations included a documentary of Green Day’s early days and a chronicle of the influential bands from that era (Neurosis, Rancid, Jawbreaker, Operation Ivy). Green Day singer Billie Joe Armstrong asked friend and musician Corbett Redford (singer in the satirical folk-punk band, Bobby Joe Ebola and the Children MacNuggits), if he knew anyone that could direct the documentary. Redford suggested himself.

“I know the effect this scene had on the world. I remember it. There are people all over the place that still subscribe to it.” Redford said. “Green Day brought East Bay culture to the world.”

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/turn-it-around-looks-back-at-east-bay-punk/Content?oid=6865077

• Like 1

I doubt it'll come to the theater here. I live in a small city and there probably wouldn't be much interest in it. 

• Like 1

I can't fucking wait for this film. This film for me = life goals :D:bunny:

Just watched the trailer. It looks really good! I can't wait to see it.

Green Day Fans Get Ready to Freak Out

Your favorite punk band produced a documentary about the East Bay punk scene at 924 Gilman in the '90s.

It was Green Day’s idea to make the film — which opens in select theaters on Friday, June 2 — and the band tapped Redford to direct it. Three-and-a-half years in the making, the film starts with the early days of Bay Area punk, featuring interviews with members of the Dead Kennedys, Avengers, and Fang. The focus, though, is on the 924 Gilman Street collective that included Operation Ivy and Green Day, among others, like The Hi-Fives.

“I wanted someone to do it that knows the scene and knows all the people that are involved,” Armstrong says. “[Someone] that people are going to respect, want to tell their story to, and trust. That’s one thing with the East Bay punk scene: It’s like that old song by The Germs, “What We Do Is Secret.” He was the perfect guy for people to share their stories with and not do it in a way that would create drama.”

Armstrong, who previously worked on documentaries and acted in movies, was careful not to micromanage Redford by constantly offering tips.

“I knew that Corbett was a good storyteller, so I told him to go for it,” he says. “I just wanted everybody’s voice heard, so that it could inspire another group of people in some other small town to do the same thing.”

READ MORE:

http://www.sfweekly.com/music/allshookdown/green-day-fans-get-ready-to-freak-out/