Turn It Around: The Story of East Bay Punk

Tightwad Hill

1 hour ago, Mega Man said:

Apologies for being out of the loop, but is there no CD release for the soundtrack? All power to the analog resurgence, but it shouldn't be impossible to get a digital version of the album.

Also, I'm seeing the demo for Sweet Children by Sweet Children on the tracklisting. Is this actually an unreleased track, or is it a mislabeled release of the Green Day recording?

definitely a demo and not the version that was on the Green Day recording

• Like 1

I really expected this to be on Youtube by now. People have had the soundtrack since Monday. I’d love to be the first one to put it on youtube, but with my luck, it won’t find its way online until two hours before I get mine in the mail. 

• Like 2

Wait this came out 4 years ago, so why are they bringing out a DVD and vinyl now?

edit: never mind, it's not as old as I thought it was (because the thread was made in 2014)

Edited by duckez
  • Confused 1

My dvd is out for delivery!! GAH! I wish my week wasn't so busy in the evenings. I probably won't get to actually watch until Sunday night. 

mine is finally in ontario!.. hopefully I get it by Saturday cause I'm heading north to a cottage for a week on Canada Day.

its say 3-7 business days it's in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) which is 2 hours from where I live.

Just finished watching this. Love the film.  I was however disappointed with the bonus features I had been hoping for some longer cuts of the archival footage and video of the bands’ shows like they said they had so many hours of. Instead it’s bits of deleted interview pieces about peripheral subjects that were understandably cut. Nothing I would watch again. 

still can't get a digital copy.

I don't have a device to play this physically, it's actually making me upset. I eat shit like this up

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Just finished watching this. Love the film.  I was however disappointed with the bonus features I had been hoping for some longer cuts of the archival footage and video of the bands’ shows like they said they had so many hours of. Instead it’s bits of deleted interview pieces about peripheral subjects that were understandably cut. Nothing I would watch again. 

Band shows they have to pay for licensing and such probably no budget for that 

My vinyl has arrived!! 

I will be going home tomorrow so I can't wait to open it.
Now... if only I had a record player...

6 minutes ago, Todd said:

All of the shows they collected are on their way to youtube, if not there already :) a new Green Day show that they collected just surfaced tonight. 

This is awesome! If you see any others that show up there, could you please also link them here? Thank you!

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163108119004  two wonderful posters signed by Corbett for sale, buy it now gets one instantly. trying to hook up his biggest fans with real signed merchandise direct from Corbett Himself! 100% FOR CHARITY THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE TWO PEOPLE WILL SCORE HUGE INSPIRATIONAL POSTERS!

100% OF EVERYTHING GOES TO CHARITY !!!!   Corbett Redford, Producer and Director of Turn It Around: The Story of East Bay Punk, has given (2) full-sized and signed Turn it Around posters by Corbett himself as his own personal contribution to this important campaign. This auction is for the first signed in silver ink by the Writer and Director of this profound and beautiful documentary HIMSELF. Truth be told this film and recent DIY music projects by one of my favorite musicians really inspired me to take action here to help Jackson and his family continue the fight (The two best offers or combined offer takes these rare posters). 100% of your donation minus shipping costs (appropriate and affordable) will be given directly to Jackson's mother Rayna Marie Bell-a close family friend I met through working for the National Disease Cluster Alliance. Good people help...good people =========================================================================================

For More information about Hope for Jackson please visit

please check us out! GDA PLEASE HELP US HERE!

http://www.gofundme.com/hopeforjackson27

==============================================================================================“To those who live it punk rock is a conversation with society.”- Iggy Pop discussing punk music in the Turn It Around: Story of East Bay Punk Documentary

Thank you very much to Corbett Redford and we at Hope for Jackson are certainly very inspired by this movie and to be entirely honest  we at Hope for Jackson is so inspired by this film none of this would be possible without this movie alone, let alone Corbett Redford's participation in this auction. This movie changed my life. Enough said, own a piece of punk rock history and feel good about your purchase SIMULTANEOUSLY. 100% goes to Hope for Jackson. I am a former #3 Green Day bootlegger in the world and many of the Green Day bootlegs on Youtube were personally given by my partner in crime/bootlegging by the best bootlegger of his day NJDBOY himself at times in collaboration with myself. GreenDayAuthority.com and Green Day.net helped enable this. So thank us by thanking Hope for Jackson. Let's rock!

More about the man behind the film and rocker Corbett Redford:

Turn It Around: The Story of East Bay Punk explores Northern California’s pivotal role in evolution of punk rock - the loud, intense and anti-authoritarian philosophy of music and politics that arose in the late 1970s. Early San Francisco Bay Area punk pioneers like Dead Kennedys, Avengers and Flipper as well as the Maximum Rocknroll fanzine helped take the punk underground global.

As the once-vibrant local scene became wrought with violence, corruption and racism, punks over the bridge in the East Bay responded by creating a fun and inclusive style of punk that also carried on the region’s tradition of radical thought. Banding together around Berkeley’s all- volunteer 924 Gilman Club, this diverse collective of misfits created a do-it-yourself, no-spectators’ petri dish for art & music that changed the Bay Area punk scene… and the world at large.

Today, we know about some of the bands who emerged from this scene, like Green Day and Rancid, but their success is just the tip of the iceberg; the roots of this inspiring story go deep into the underground. Directed and produced by Corbett Redford, narrated by Iggy Pop and executive produced by Green Day, Turn It Around: The Story Of East Bay Punk is told by the people who were there.  The story of East Bay punk rock unfolds from its unlikely beginnings, continues through its struggles, and triumphs with its raucous power continuing to be influential today.

PRODUCED & DIRECTED BY

Corbett Redford (ROCKSTAR EXTROIDARAIRE, ULTIMATE MEN OF ALL MEN)

NARRATED BY

Iggy Pop

WRITTEN BY

Corbett Redford & Anthony Marchitiello

CINEMATOGRAPHER/EDITOR

Greg Schneider

EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS

Green Day & Pat Magnarella

Turn It Around: The Story of East Bay Punk features a diverse spectrum of musicians and artists who have all been impacted by or participated in the California San Francisco Bay Area punk music scene of the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. During the production of our film, we conducted over 150 interviews around the United States and amassed over 500 hours of interview footage. Those participating in the documentary include past and current members of: 924 Gilman, Maximumrocknroll, Lookout Records, Green Day, Rancid, Neurosis, Operation Ivy, Crimpshrine, Yeastie Girlz, Stikky, Samiam, Jawbreaker, Isocracy, Kamala and the Karnivores, Beatnigs, NOFX, Primus, Metallica, Bikini Kill, Bad Religion, Soup, Sweet Baby, Special Forces, Deadly Reign, Christ On Parade, Corrupted Morals, Mr. T Experience, Victims Family, The Lookouts, Monsula, Cringer, Spitboy, Blatz, Filth, Econochrist, Fifteen, Pinhead Gunpowder, Tilt, Pansy Division, Dead Kennedys, Avengers, Fugazi, Flipper, 7 Seconds, Fang, Angry Samoans, Nuisance, Screeching Weasel, Engage, Dicks, Subhumans, The Tubes, Boo Hss Pfft, Verbal Abuse, The Vagrants, Schlong, The Gr'ups, The Tourettes, Pinhead Gunpowder, Tribe 8, Kwik Way, Social Unrest, White Trash Debutantes, Outpunk, DMR, Psycotic Pineapple, Black Fork, Sawhorse, The Skinflutes, The List, Sacrilege BC, No Dogs, Gag Order and more.

Clocking in at 158 minutes, this extensive documentary features archive footage and photos from Murray Bowles, Oddball Film + Video Archive, TARGETVIDEO77, Shayne Stacy, Wayne Vanderkuil, Cammie Toloui, Aaron Cometbus, Rhoda Rohnstock, John Cazden and hundreds more who documented the Bay Area scene of the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.

About Matt3BJ27GD:

“Today is the first day of the rest of our lives, tomorrow is too late to pretend everything is alright.” -BJA on Warning's  "Church On Sunday"

know the power of THIS specific rock and roll community. The extended Green Day family has been good to charitable causes I have sent their way over the many years I have been active in the community. I can honestly remember logging onto the netscapes and the Prodigy’s of the world and my user handle was Green Day rand I would go straight to the music chats and chat for hours. Once AOL came and began to dominate, then Green Day fan sites started popping up all over the place. There was greenday.net and the Brian Gray’s of the world. There was Tristan Carkeet, there were cool people everywhere just sharing music and loving music and talking about music and new ideas from all walks of life that I never would have encountered in my former sleepy beach town of Del Mar, CA. Don’t get me wrong-Del Mar had and has plenty of personality and charm even to this day but my high school was a neat place. Apparently a lot of people had a bad time there. I loved it, not because I was popular even though I got along with most groups and never stuck to one although I did have a few different packs I ran tight with-I could care less because once I hit the age of 16 and got into my car-I literally would head North and see where I could end up. Sometimes it was Irvine, sometimes Costa Mesa, often I beelined it to the Sunset Strip at all hours. I made so many friends and I could honestly give a hoot about what was going on back at Torrey Pines High School because I mean I’m pretty sure the parties at the Troubador and the Roxy and wherever else the shows were or even the house parties were because those rock and roll weekends made everything amazing. I met my heroes for the most part although I refused to ever meet anyone in Green Day because I was scared of Tre at the time and nervous Billie wouldn’t like me and that would have damaged my fragile little punk rock bubble I had going for me. The music was more than enough and still is. I eventually did meet Mike and he was just so kind. I thanked him for writing the song J.A.R. at a Frustrators show in LA then tried to buy him a drink. He kindly told me that being the headliner that night and all drinks were covered for him so not to worry. What a cool guy! Anyway-this party is getting dull. I basically lived all my rock and roll fantasies at a very young age, sowed more wild oats than I could even handle. It was exciting and fresh and dirty and sweet all at the same time. It was like the song Dizzy up the girl by the Goo Goo Dolls meets Rock and Roll Fantasy by the Kinks. Life happened soon after this and my priorities had to change fast but I still remained deep into the band but began thinking more about how I could help people instead of how I could help myself have the most amount of fun possible. I think the best thing that Green Day left me with was a Teflon exterior and at times interior. It’s not that I didn’t care it’s just that I mean-yeah I was a pretty cool kid back then, I was hip and I could traverse different worlds with ease and somehow fit in anywhere despite my persona back home which was certainly consistent with who I was in LA or at these shows more laid back and mellow. Anyway-I got to meet a lot of neat people and they are starting to come out of the woodwork to help again. I wanted to share some of my story a bit to remind myself who I am in this community and what I once meant to it. For myself, for anyone curious whatever it may be. I am here to raise money for Hope for Jackson today. Now that I hopefully have your attention let me explain who they are and how I know them. I can inspire the Lewis family through the music that turned my life upside down but aside from a playlist I can only offer my collection of Rock History. Look for more cool unique items through Hope for Jackson and soon through www.theseanyfoundation.org, www.gamechanger1.org, and last but certainly not least I will also be fundraising for domesticworkers.org using my TONS of Green Day and greater rock and roll collection. Lookout! For more! See what I did there? I know you did, you get my style! 

“So say a prayer and light a fire, we’re going to start a war, your slogan’s a gun for hire it’s what we waited for.”-BJA Viva La Gloria-off of 21st Century Breakdown...

"We're aiming for the rooftops
Beyond the river of doubt
We're arm-in-arm; sound the alarm
Turning whispers into shouts

If there was ever a time to stand together
If there was ever a time, it's tonight
If there was ever a time to hold your brothers and your sisters
Then the time is right' -The Armstrongs (BJA AND TIM) in honor of this wonderful documentary

Edited by Matt3BJ

4 hours ago, tdlyon said:

How much specifically Green Day-related content is in the movie?

Well, it’s all Green Day-related :lol: but Green Day specific? Not a whole lot. Maybe 8%? If you want just Green Day, stick to the Spotify documentary. 

• Like 1

I thought the coolest Green Day related video was the Sweet Children (or even before) clip from someone’s backyard with Billie, Mike, Raj and Sean looking about 13 years old. So weird to see Billie that young and singing with a mic but no guitar. I wish there was more of that around.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I thought the coolest Green Day related video was the Sweet Children (or even before) clip from someone’s backyard with Billie, Mike, Raj and Sean looking about 13 years old. So weird to see Billie that young and singing with a mic but no guitar. I wish there was more of that around.

This is one thing I want to see the most. How long is this clip?

Got my mega-pack over the weekend!! Vinyl played great and so did the Blu-Ray, but I'm disappointed in the cassette. The Lest We Forget cassette plays fine but the Turn It Around one had inconsistent audio quality. I tweeted 1-2-3-4 Go about it and they said it might be the heads in my car's tape deck, but if that's the case why would one tape come through clear with the other one going in and out? I ordered myself a cassette deck cleaner anyway to make sure the problem's not with my car, but after calling yesterday about it, they said if the tape is the problem they'd be willing to ship me out a free replacement.

I was able to watch it last night (got home from work and the gym at a decent time). It was super interesting. I think my favorite part was seeing all of the weird (and I mean weird) band names that came from Gillman/East Bay.

15 minutes ago, Alf said:

This is one thing I want to see the most. How long is this clip?

About 20-30 seconds. He had longish-curly hair. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Before Sweet Children, circa 86/87. I’m anxious to see that clip again. 

1 hour ago, squashie09 said:

I was able to watch it last night (got home from work and the gym at a decent time). It was super interesting. I think my favorite part was seeing all of the weird (and I mean weird) band names that came from Gillman/East Bay.

17264142_10154250023517327_1735266104230313835_n.jpg

• Like 2