Turn It Around: The Story of East Bay Punk

Tightwad Hill

WATCH: Punk power pitching by Turn It Around: The Story of East Bay Punk filmmaker Corbett Redford, who threw out the first pitch at the Oakland Athletics game in honor of our hometown East Bay screenings at Rialto Elmwood.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Montclare said:

Very cool!  I did the 4:15pm show and Corbett Redford was talking to a woman outside the theatre afterwards, so I got to say a quick hi.

Corbett seems like such a nice, genuine guy. I talked to him for a bit outside of the pop up shop on Thursday and took my picture with him haha. I felt like a fangirl, but I really dig that documentary. 

• Like 2

I finally saw this last night in San Jose, I didn't realize how long the movie was! Not complaining though cuz it was rather interesting.

Just saw this today!  Fantastic!!!! A must see for anyone, young and old, loves music,  or has no clue about East Bay Punk.

• Like 3

Pros

• Incredibly thorough. 
  • Well shot / Directed Produced.
  • Learned things about many of the bands I did not know about before. 

Cons

• About 45 mins to and hour too long.
  • Too much of the "VHS tape filter".

Observations

• Not Green Day focused.
  • Not enough Green Day.
  • But also just enough Green Day.
  • Loved Billie Joe and Mike backyard video with first high school band. Billie singing. Incredible.
  • Like 2

UMM sooo...I just looked at the screenings after getting this email about it from Idiot Club and holy shit it's screening in my town tonight. Like holy what...I really need to go.

EDIT:

JK it's screening on the 21st, which is when I get back from the concert trip. But this is great! I am so going!!!

• Like 1

Hmmm...the last day of the tour is two days before the film screening in L.A.  I wonder who the 'special guests' might be?  :)

Watch: 'Turn it Around: The Story of East Bay Punk' trailer, featuring Green Day, Iggy Pop and Metallica

https://www.axs.com/watch-turn-it-around-the-story-of-east-bay-punk-trailer-featuring-gree-119047?utm_content=buffer34d50

Corbett Redford: director of Turn it Around: The Story of East Bay Punk

by Microcosm Publishing: The Podcast

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/joe-microcosm/episodes/2017-07-26T17_44_30-07_00

So if anybody else here lives in the Pittsburgh area and would like it to screen here, you can help by contacting Pittsburgh filmmakers and asking them to book this film. All the venue has to do is visit EastBayPunk.com/contact and request a booking.

Pittsburgh filmmakers cinema website: https://cinema.pfpca.org/

I've done this and also messaged the folks at Turn It Around about it.  They are also working on their end to bring it to Pittsburgh but this will help if local people let the venue know they want to see it. Thanks.

I drove 2 1/2 hours to Columbus to see this with @AlissaGoesRAWR and I enjoyed it! It was engrossing and made me feel like I was there (no pun intended). As others have said, the length was a little off-putting, but I'm forgiving of that because I understand that this was largely a labor of love and that while the average viewer like myself would (and did) think, "Did we really need to mention what seemed like every single band that performed even once?" it was important for the filmmakers to include anyone and everyone to flesh it out. I think it glossed over Green Day's 86ing and the viciousness that came with it. But since it wasn't a Green Day movie, I also think that was slightly deliberate, in that they didn't want to focus on them too much or how one band's success likely dramatically affected the whole scene in possibly unpleasant ways.

I got to see this last night!!

So yeah, the length, obviously. But let me see if I can dive in deeper (spoilers below I guess if you're waiting to see it):

I think what caused the length was ultimately a poorly written middle structure. The best parts of the band overviews were when they correlated with the map. The movie set up this great initial rhythm that you went to the map, went to a location, learned about those bands and that area or someone notable from there and then continued on. If they had kept that structure and then perhaps centralized Gilman at the end of it, that maybe would have been fine on its own. Where it got lost was the section where we'd...talk about the wars with skinheads, then do some more bands, then talk about the correlation with Olympia and feminism, then some more bands. Unfortunately, I think the Lookout section was also not well integrated. It almost was...it definitely set up Gilman and then had a set up of "ok, now these bands need a compilation". But when they brought up Lookout again later, it was jumbled and out of place. In fact, much of that section and GD's story wasn't well integrated. We lost Lookout and GD for a huuuuge chunk of time and then they got picked up again. Now, part of this downfall I think was also trying to be chronological. This would be why Rancid wasn't until much later, obviously. But it caused a few issues with the inconsistency between storylines.

Iggy's narration also wasn't consistent exactly. Had a great set up, a great end, but it came in a couple times in the middle where I thought "Couldn't I have just gotten this point from an interview?"

However, the funny moments were great. The animations gave it a cool feel. The emotional moments were well handled also. Ultimately, I am SO glad that the story of this scene was all kinda laid out for me in one place. This thing felt like a cousin of the Spotify series we got in the spring and I liked that.

There's quite a few stories I enjoyed learning about that I didn't know: The actual 7/11, the photographer guy (such a sweetheart), the Nazi wars (very resonant with current events...our audience clapped a bit when they fucked up their truck), Gilman closing (why did I not know that?), and ultimately really learning the network of everyone.

Jesse Michaels tantalizes me and I don't know why. It was a weird mixture of attraction, intrigue, and familiarity.

Also, did anyone stay until the veerrrrryyy end (you should because it's respectful!!) because that last sendoff from Metal Mike LMAO.

• Like 2

Got to see it last night here at the Visual Arts Center of Richmond. Loved it! It reminded me a bit of a less in depth version of the book "Gimme Something Better: The Profound, Progressive, and Occasionally Pointless History of Bay Area Punk from Dead Kennedys to Green Day," which was co-authored by Jack Boulware who was in this documentary as well. I like that it touched on the queercore and riot grrl parts of the scene, the small bit on Jawbreaker was good to see too. (Still waiting for a screening of their new doc "Don't Break Down" to come near my area.) Overall, I can't complain much about it. Some segments did feel incomplete and I wish they were talked upon more, but I'll definitely be looking forward to this coming out on DVD and for all the bonus material. 

So I'm just wondering how much of this is focused on green day and is there alot of stuff we haven't seen or heard in regards to the band?

18 hours ago, nopride84 said:

So I'm just wondering how much of this is focused on green day and is there alot of stuff we haven't seen or heard in regards to the band?

Not a lot is focused on Green Day. There will be a Green Day documentary in the works, but not until after Turn It Around is taken care of. There are some cool clips of new live footage, a short clip of an unreleased song demo that you might miss, interviews with Billie, Mike, Tre, Tre's mom and dad, and Jason about the scene and bands, and even a brief word from Raj, their drummer before John. It's definitely worth going out to see if you're a Green Day fan, but if you'd rather watch at home, the DVD should be out later this year, maybe early next year.