Turn It Around: The Story of East Bay Punk

Tightwad Hill

• 2 weeks later...

10517520_1475985812647670_20887293727778

10492544_1472850392961212_85335069431989

Our documentary crew was recently granted the very special opportunity to shoot an interview with Richie Bucher - East Bay artist and bassist of Soup, Sweet Baby and more - at The UC Theatre in Berkeley, CA. The theatre closed in 2001 and holds an important place in the hearts of nearly everyone we have interviewed for our movie. It was THE center for culture, film and art in Berkeley for decades.

This summer, its renovation begins. The UC Theatre will reopen in 2015 as a non-profit music venue but could still use help raising funds to make it happen. Visit their website at http://www.theuctheatre.org/ for more information on how you can contribute.

Thanks to David Mayeri at The UC Theatre for making our visit possible.
  • Like 3

10574388_1478434959069422_38155353785883
Kristin Green Is Green Day producing this film? Will they also be in the film?
East Bay: By The Punx, For The Punx, About The Punx Kristin - Yes and yes. They will be a focus alongside many other bands, individual artists, volunteers and other East Bay punk scene participants. See http://eastbaypunk.com for more info. Thanks.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1516458_583079338450580_1470425856_n.jpg

melissadaleneal

7 months ago

Finished up day one on the new Green Day Documentary! Today we spoke to Pete Rypins from Crimpshire, Tilt and The Tantrums. #greenday #greendaydoc #documentary #greendaydocumentary #crimpshire #tilt #eastbay #eastbaypunk #gilman #punk #punkdocumentary #oakland

• Like 2

Is Crimpshire a different band than the "Crimpshrine" that I swear Billie has mentioned a million times? I can't keep these punk bands straight.

Exciting to see for sure that they're starting the Green Day specific one. I'm interested in the East Bay generic one, but this is really the interest.

Is Crimpshire a different band than the "Crimpshrine" that I swear Billie has mentioned a million times? I can't keep these punk bands straight.

Exciting to see for sure that they're starting the Green Day specific one. I'm interested in the East Bay generic one, but this is really the interest.

No, they meant "Crimpshrine". In case you didn't know, Pete is credited for helping write the music for 2000 Light Years Away, Billie jammed it out with him, Jesse Michaels, and Dave EC Henwood

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

10607973_1480649815538782_1967734034_n.j

corbettredford

4 hours ago

Other than a few pick-up interviews here and there, after 11 months, today our documentary crew will complete the last of over 200 fantastic interviews. I'm wholly grateful for this ride. Thanks to our patient and knowledgeable producers - Billie, Mike, Tre, Pat, Chris and Mari. And to my diligent crew (from who I received these flowers and abrasive inside joke of a card) - Greg, Anthony, Matthew, Dan, Caoimhe,

• 3 weeks later...
Orlando and Turner Babcock of Special Forces @ 924 Gilman, 1987 - Photo by Murray Bowles. Berkeley Hardcore!
10624898_1500659043513680_63884669301513
East Bay: By The Punx, For The Punx, About The Punx Steven and Bill - Fixed it in the text! Eggplant has been tagging photos with names and I guess this one got thru. Apologies.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm excited for you people to learn about real punk bands! :lol:

Kidding aside, this is gonna be awesome. I'm looking forward to all the different interviews

I'm very exited for bands like Crimpshrine,Fifteen,Monsula,Jawbreaker,Isocrasy and Op Ivy ofc!!

Man i wanna se guys like Jeff Ott ,Aaron Cometbus Blake from jawbreaker and etc.. to say their stories and stuff!!!!

Butt-Head is right.!!

55170727.jpg

• Like 3

I'm very exited for bands like Crimpshrine,Fifteen,Monsula,Jawbreaker,Isocrasy and Op Ivy ofc!!

Man i wanna se guys like Jeff Ott ,Aaron Cometbus Blake from jawbreaker and etc.. to say their stories and stuff!!!!

Butt-Head is right.!!

55170727.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing Eggplant, maybe Jesse Luscious (I don't remember if any interviews were done with him) and hopefully our own Al Sobrante :D
  • Like 1

I hope that we will still get credited at the end, in the credits !

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

12002836_10153361589718961_2867537191682

corbettredfordLots of you good folks have been asking about it lately, so here is an update on the East Bay documentary... editing process is about 70% complete. I'm excited about the film we're making and we're working hard everyday to get this in front of yer peepers ASAP. I think you're all gonna dig it.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

12081173_1696210873941451_343701994_n.jp

corbettredford Work print deadline for the documentary looms. This is, of course, the most harrowing & sleepless leg of the production... but it is the time I will look back on most fondly when it is all over. 3d