Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

two 12-year-olds stab another to 'please slenderman'

News

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,770 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,397 rep

How is this news and thread-worthy? I mean, who cares what two 12 year old girls did? I dont think anybody here thinks that what they did was right.

This is easily more newsworthy than what Charlize Theron said in an interview, and I'm not just saying that cause it's my state.

• Ryan and gerardsangel4977 like this

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• 12,385 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,494 rep

Jeez, that's really fucked up. Do they really believe Slenderman is real??? If so, they shouldn't be going to jail, they should be going to some kind of psychiatric hospital. 12, that's like 6th grade. I think that's right on the line of adult/child, making it a difficult call. 

• Tightwad Hill likes this

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,005 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 9,650 rep

yeah jokes aside i think it's really important that these girls are removed from society and rehabilitated in a safe and sensitive way. they're young enough that they're still emotionally malleable, as it were, and some good and intensive therapy will hopefully go a long way to helping them recover their sensibilities and what have you. obviously this is crazy fucked up, but there are obviously some mitigating factors of which we aren't aware, and with time hopefully the perpetrators will get back to 'normal' and be able to live relatively peaceful lives.

Agreed.

It's absolutely insane to think it's a good idea to just pretend that a child is an adult because they did something particularly bad. They're not adults so treating them as adults isn't going to be the best thing for them or for society. Facing reality and treating them as what they actually are, twelve year old's who have committed a serious crime, and taking the most effective steps to both rehabilitate them and protect society (which, whatever they are, are going to be different from the steps that would be most effective for an adult) has to be the best way.

• Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love likes this

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Leader of the Tomnomnom Security Contingent

• 11,204 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 10,862 rep

is it normal in america to charge 12-year old as adults...? sounds weird.

Not at all. But when a particularly heinous crime is committed by minors and there really aren't any mitigating factors, it's definitely not unheard of to try them as adults. I'd be really interested to see the police reports/transcripts of court appearances on this to see if they have/will express an appropriate amount of remorse over this. A lack of remorse can be another reason that factors into minors being charged as adults.

• Ryan, gerardsangel4977 and Sauli like this

Ryan

Ryan
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Joined Mar 01, 2006
  • 2,046 rep

Jeez, that's really fucked up. Do they really believe Slenderman is real??? If so, they shouldn't be going to jail, they should be going to some kind of psychiatric hospital. 12, that's like 6th grade. I think that's right on the line of adult/child, making it a difficult call.

Yeah, these two are obviously psychos if they went ahead and did something like this...seriously. I always tip toe a very fine line with the whole rehab vs. prison thing. This doesn't make it any easier.

Todd

Todd

• 12,385 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,494 rep

Yeah, these two are obviously psychos if they went ahead and did something like this...seriously. I always tip toe a very fine line with the whole rehab vs. prison thing. This doesn't make it any easier.

can we not with using words like 'psycho' please and thanks.

;)

• johndorkian and Not Anyone. like this

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Leader of the Tomnomnom Security Contingent

• 11,204 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 10,862 rep

I'm very much a proponent of rehab/intensive mental health counseling/therapy rather than prison, especially for people this young. I've seen jail destroy kids, and I've seen compassionate judges order therapy/rehab and have amazing results. One of my favorite outcomes was a client who was on heroin, an alcoholic, and bulimic to boot who was just destroying herself despite stints in jail. A judge here in town ordered her to go through a rehabilitation program he'd designed and a year later she was clean, healthy, and was in recovery.

Of course, sometimes neither one of those options help, but I've seen rehab help way more than prison.

• Ryan, The Disappearing Boy, gerardsangel4977 and 1 other like this

Ryan

Ryan
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,854 posts
  • Joined Mar 01, 2006
  • 2,046 rep

;)

Really? So abbreviations and shortened versions of words aren't allowed now either? Fml

johndorkian

johndorkian
  • what is edd may never die

• 15,351 posts
  • Joined Dec 31, 2006
  • 3,403 rep

POPULAR

Really? So abbreviations and shortened versions of words aren't allowed now either? Fml

you know full well that 'psycho' is a word used to dehumanise and demonise people who have mental illnesses. it's just about having some fucking respect. pretty sure you've been in threads where this has been explained, so you have no excuse.

and in any case, this incident was clearly not psychotic in nature; it was premeditated.

• Hayley, Yussef, gerardsangel4977 and 2 others like this

Todd

Todd

• 12,385 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,494 rep

Yes, I thought we learned that last time with "transgenders"

• Ryan likes this

Ryan

Ryan
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,854 posts
  • Joined Mar 01, 2006
  • 2,046 rep

you know full well that 'psycho' is a word used to dehumanise and demonise people who have mental illnesses. it's just about having some fucking respect. pretty sure you've been in threads where this has been explained, so you have no excuse.

and in any case, this incident was clearly not psychotic in nature; it was premeditated.

People who are psychotic can premeditate crimes though. And I honestly dont think ive seen the "dont use psycho" argument here before.

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • Psychological Terrorist

• 12,683 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 13,007 rep
Psychosis is an already stigmatised mental illness. Not all psychopaths are murderers.

Anyway, Slenderman is fucking scary, it's no wonder they wanted to keep him happy.
  • Ryan, GreenDayBass and Sauli like this

Ryan

Ryan
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,854 posts
  • Joined Mar 01, 2006
  • 2,046 rep

Psychosis is an already stigmatised mental illness. Not all psychopaths are murderers.
Anyway, Slenderman is fucking scary, it's no wonder they wanted to keep him happy.

#notallpsychopaths :)

Todd

Todd

• 12,385 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,494 rep

#notallpsychopaths :)

#YesAllPsychopaths? Too soon?

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,005 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 9,650 rep

"Psychotic" and "psychopathic" are two different things! Being psychotic involves suffering from delusions or hallucinations, being psychopathic involves lacking empathy for other people. All the more reason not to use a vague word like "psycho" which is used to demonize people suffering from psychosis and as an inaccurate an unhelpful blanket term for different mental illnesses or behaviours that only serves to spread ignorance. I don't think it's been reported that these children have a mental illness anyway, one that starts with "psycho-" or not, and pretty sure no one in this thread is in a position to diagnose them.

• gerardsangel4977 and Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love like this

Advertising

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton
  • Head of Tom's legal council

• 18,008 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 2,356 rep

Oh so now we're adding "psycho" to our list of slurs we're using? Lovely.

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • northern sailor

• 26,448 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 6,947 rep

Jesus, nothing ever happens in Waukesha.

i read this as wow kesha now tik tok is stuck in my head

/meaningful contribution

• Ryan and The Disappearing Boy like this

Steven Seagull

Steven Seagull
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • Joined Dec 02, 2012
  • 1,409 rep

"Psychotic" and "psychopathic" are two different things! Being psychotic involves suffering from delusions or hallucinations, being psychopathic involves lacking empathy for other people. All the more reason not to use a vague word like "psycho" which is used to demonize people suffering from psychosis and as an inaccurate an unhelpful blanket term for different mental illnesses or behaviours that only serves to spread ignorance. I don't think it's been reported that these children have a mental illness anyway, one that starts with "psycho-" or not, and pretty sure no one in this thread is in a position to diagnose them.

Since this post is probably targeting me again. I'll just say I feel no sympathy for people who kill other people and that's why I can call them any vague word I want.

• Ryan and JackInABox86 like this

captain peroxide

captain peroxide

• 15,770 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,397 rep

i read this as wow kesha now tik tok is stuck in my head

/meaningful contribution

It's funny you say that. The correct pronunciation is "WAUH-ke-shah," but ever since I saw someone spell it "WauKe$ha" on Facebook, my head pronunciation is "wauh-KE-$ha." 

/less meaningful contribution

• gerardsangel4977 likes this

Ryan

Ryan
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,854 posts
  • Joined Mar 01, 2006
  • 2,046 rep

Take your logic and gtfo please

• Hermione likes this

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • northern sailor

• 26,448 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 6,947 rep

It's funny you say that. The correct pronunciation is "WAUH-ke-shah," but ever since I saw someone spell it "WauKe$ha" on Facebook, my head pronunciation is "wauh-KE-$ha." 

/less meaningful contribution

au as in ahh or orr?? tbf no matter what you tell me it's going to be wow kesha forever

captain peroxide

captain peroxide

• 15,770 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,397 rep

au as in ahh or orr?? tbf no matter what you tell me it's going to be wow kesha forever

It's a really hard sound to spell phonetically :lol: Closer to "orrr" I guess, but with a softer "r" sound.

#midwest

• Maddy. and Idlewild. like this

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 21,978 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 5,951 rep

Heard they want to charge them as adults so they can try and get them the maximum of 60 years in prison each.  Pretty sure that means they wouldn't get any therapy but it will be interesting to see how the trial plays out.

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,005 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 9,650 rep

Since this post is probably targeting me again. I'll just say I feel no sympathy for people who kill other people and that's why I can call them any vague word I want.

Wasn't really targeting anyone, just pointing out that "psychotic", "psychopathic", and "psycho" mean different things. It has nothing to do with having sympathy for the people who committed these crimes, the issue is that using these words incorrectly can lead to other people who didn't commit any crime being unfairly labelled or discriminated against.

• gerardsangel4977 and Floyd Pinkerton like this

JackInABox86

JackInABox86
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Joined Jan 06, 2013
  • 308 rep

Y'all a big bunch of psychos

• Ryan likes this

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,258 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 738 rep

I know this question is a little stupid, but didn't anyone see that coming? I mean, what, their parents/grandparents/friends/uncles saw nothing weird, and they were perfectly healthy and happy 12 year olds playing with toys until they suddenly stabbed their friend 19 times? I think they should check their environment and see who raised them and how. I don't think kids that young can be held 100% accountable for their actions. After all, putting them in jail for 60 years isn't solving the problem, those kids need therapy. 

• gerardsangel4977 and Dirntbag like this

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • Psychological Terrorist

• 12,683 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 13,007 rep

I know this question is a little stupid, but didn't anyone see that coming? I mean, what, their parents/grandparents/friends/uncles saw nothing weird, and they were perfectly healthy and happy 12 year olds playing with toys until they suddenly stabbed their friend 19 times? I think they should check their environment and see who raised them and how. I don't think kids that young can be held 100% accountable for their actions. After all, putting them in jail for 60 years isn't solving the problem, those kids need therapy. 

To be fair, that tends to be the kind of age when people begin to demand (and require) privacy. I don't necessarily think it's fair to blame people for not noticing anything in advance. This kind of thing happens a lot and people are stunned by the perpetrator/s. You never really know what's going on in someone's head. I'm also 100% behind at least trying rehab, however. Locking kids up at 12 is an overreaction whatever they've done, no one is a lost cause at that age. 

• GreenDayBass, gerardsangel4977 and Sauli like this

Idlewild.

Idlewild.
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,068 posts
  • Joined Mar 13, 2011
  • 901 rep

Guess I know the subject matter for the next ASP song. :woot:

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 1,027 rep
But mental hospitals are sometimes worse than prisons at least according to someone I knew whose been to both

A family member has been to a mental hosp said it was literally hell on earth

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,213 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,248 rep

I don't think minors should ever be charged with crimes in adult courts. Radical, I know. But you know what, we don't go around making random exceptions for children and adolescents to drive, drink, smoke, vote, gamble, join the military or anything else. Why should crime be the only thing that doesn't work this way? 

This isn't to say a 17 year old serial killer should be allowed to be walking the streets. It just means to let a family court deal with them and when they're older if they're beyond help they can be institutionalized in a mental health facility or a prison indefinitely. 

But mental hospitals are sometimes worse than prisons at least according to someone I knew whose been to both

A family member has been to a mental hosp said it was literally hell on earth

These are usually ones at hospitals, because they are understaffed and have a whole host of people strung out on drugs and violent, unstable criminals too close to suicide attempt victims and the staff just doesn't have the resources to help. 

Most mental health facilities, long term ones though, have voluntary patients as a majority and it's not like stereotypes show. There are exceptions, sure. But in any case, two disturbed twelve year olds should not be denied a chance at living freely again someday if they can be rehabilitated, which we don't know. 

• gerardsangel4977 and Hermione like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users