Would you consider 21st Century Breakdown a Half-assed album?

xBlaydeRx

Let me get this outta the way, 21st century breakdown was the 1st full Green day album I listened to and the one that got me into Them. But after listening to Holiday, and American idiot as a whole, that's when I became a true green day fan and after that,I listened to everything they put out.

Now that I got that outta the way, Yes, 21st breakdown is a great album but there as songs that aren't so great, i feel this album has half Amazingly Mind blowing songs and half not so good songs.

This album could've done without:

Know your enemy

Last of the American girls

Horseshoes and hand grenades(the riff is the only good thing about this song)

Christians inferno

See the light

Static age(while I do like this song, it could've been better) at times, It feels like a filler

American eulogy(idk. I like this song. But could've been so much better) feels like a filler though.

Before the lobotomy would've been on that list had I made this topic years ago but it's grown on me now.

The rest of the songs are Mind Blowing.

I can't help but wonder what the hell happened? Why so many fillers? What the hell have they been doing for 5 years?

As others have said, it's long and sprawling and that's its biggest problem. I agree that it probably could have been trimmed. Know Your Enemy, Last of the American Girls (though I do quite like the song), Horseshoes and Handgrenades, Christians Inferno and possibly American Eulogy could have been removed and would not have been missed. Static Age is good, but perhaps could have been re-worked (fewer choruses at the end!), and See the Light is needed as it is an excellent bookend and a good mirror of the song 21st Century Breakdown.

Also, are we counting Song of the Century? Cos that can go too!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still nowhere near Dookie or Nimrod.

American eulogy(idk. I like this song. But could've been so much better) feels like a filler though.

yeah this completely invalidated your post. what the fuck man.

21cb is brilliant and i love it.

I connect with this album on a deep level, the whole broken on the edge vibe hits home. And no I don't think its half assed I think they really put everything they had in it. And the only songs I think have weak lyrics are LNOE (which is supposed to be corny), See the Light and maybe 21 Guns. The album is kind of long but I love it and as I said above its far from half assed. The trilogies half assed

yeah this completely invalidated your post. what the fuck man.

21cb is brilliant and i love it.

Yeah, yeah. I knew it would. The song is ok. I don't hate it but it's an alright song. Yes, it feels like a filler but it's better than the other songs I just listed

I consider it quite the opposite! By all accounts it's the album they worked longest and hardest on, toiling over it for years and then obsessively tweaking it to make it perfect right up until a few weeks before it was out (swapping Drama Queen for Murder City after the track listing had already come out and making last minute changes to the lyrics etc). They built on what they'd started with American Idiot and took it further, making the most complex music they've made yet with all kinds of new instruments and styles, and Billie took his singing to the next level with falsetto and a greater range than ever before. Might not have struck a chord with the zeitgeist of the moment or told as universally relatable a story as American Idiot did, but half-arsed never! It's the furthest they've taken their music and most blood sweat and tears they've put in an album to date.

It's far from half-assed. If anything, they spent too much time working on it and anxiously trying to add extra dimensions to it. Its main problem is that it might not feel truly genuine.

I actually like Last of the American Girls and I don't have anything against Know Your Enemy since it really works well live. But sure, it has a lot of filler. And sure, it's not as good as American Idiot. But it's without doubt an above average Green Day album.

To be fair 21st Century Breakdown is the frigging second best album they ever put out. So no fillers, even if its long, but so are London Calling and The White Album.

The only song that could be cut out is Know Your Enemy, and only because its so frigging generic.

Lyrics are sometimes too pretentious but not too bad after all. I enjoy bombast.

Well almost everything after warning was shit anyway. Uno and Tre were actully good. My list from best to worse would be like:

1) Dookie

2) Nimrod

3) Warning

4) Kerplunk

5) Uno

6) Tre

7) Insomniac

8) 1039

9) American Idiot

10) Dos

11) 21st century breakdown

and the trilogy of half-assed or even assless albums includes Uno, Dos and Tre IMO

Well almost everything after warning was shit anyway. Uno and Tre were actully good. My list from best to worse would be like:

1) Dookie

2) Nimrod

3) Warning

4) Kerplunk

5) Uno

6) Tre

7) Insomniac

8) 1039

9) American Idiot

10) Dos

Lol.

Lol.

If it was 21 GDC I would put it in top 5 but it's not so...

the only song i never listen to is 21 Guns... it's overplayed imo.

I love 21cb, wouldn't call it half assed by any means. It's one of the longest and most complex albums green day has done. I don't know much about sound engineering but Butch vig gave it much more oomph than previous albums, when Rob cavallo produced.

Yeah sure there are a few duds (Christians inferno and see the light) but overall it's really good. The intro to 21cb still gives me shivers, as does the end of restless heart syndrome.

I dont agree with some of the song choices as I do like Know Your Enemy, Static Age and American Eulogy. There are some songs that could and should have been dropped and it is probably not as good as American Idiot. However this album is in no way half assed. They put everything they had into that record and worked there asses off putting it together. I think its probably the album that the put the most work and effort into. The result may not be a perfect album but they did not half ass it. If they released a record a year or 2 after American Idiot it could be seen as a half assed album trying to ride on the success of American Idiot. They waited years to perfect the songs and the themes of the album.

I suppose I'll toss in my 2 cents. This album is their next effort following arguably their biggest album ( insert Dookie Vs AI deathmatch) and for sure the largest and more extensive touring the band has ever done to promote an album. So in that regard were they feeling pressure from fans, label and themselves as musicians to follow up AI to make something just as memorable and iconic most defiantly. (bare with me I'm taking this somewhere.) So with all that said I believe the band tried maybe to hard on the album. For some fans its the overproduction of the album (myself included) that takes away the feeling of the album leaving it feeling well for lack of a better phrase produced and revised to the point that it loses the spirit. But with all that said is it a terrible album? No. Has it been overly criticized? Probably. But sticking with the rock opera format following AI they were asking and it will always be compared to AI. So all in all even though it is far from my favorite Green Day albums I'm just saying cut it some slack.

I wouldn't consider it half-assed. I think that Green Day worked really hard on it and they seemed to really care about having it sound really good (unlike those other three albums :unsure: ), and there were definitely some songs on 21cb that I really liked. However, it still seems "lacking" for some reason, and I can't really say why. Maybe it's just the amount of "slow songs" on it or maybe it's because they were trying to make another AI and just didn't really achieve the same results or something. :P

Y'know, I was already wary with Jason Freese being credited in the booklet but after hearing of Tom Kitt's involvement I'm really not sure how much of the piano Billie actually wrote. I hope someone asks him someday.

According to Bille in Guitar World he wrote the piano parts himself

Tom probally came in and tighten it up

21st Century Breakdown is American Idiot's younger brother who nobody likes

But there's still some people who prefer him over the older brother because the older brother can sometimes be an ass hole.

Y'know, I was already wary with Jason Freese being credited in the booklet but after hearing of Tom Kitt's involvement I'm really not sure how much of the piano Billie actually wrote. I hope someone asks him someday.

There's a difference between writing on piano and being good enough at it to record/do full arrangements on it, so I'm willing to believe it. It just made sense for Jason to play piano on the record since he's probably a better/tighter pianist than Billie, and Tom's involvement was primarily for the string arrangements.

1) Dookie

2) Nimrod

3) Warning

4) Kerplunk

5) Uno

6) Tre

7) Insomniac

8) 1039

9) American Idiot

10) Dos

Uno at number 5?!

Naughty seagull - stop it!

Uno at number 5?!

Naughty seagull - stop it!

Uno is actually really underrated. Usually when I listen to an album I always find about 3-4 songs I don't like that much. Uno had 12 really fun songs.

There are 3 half assed Green Day albums, and 21stCB isn't one of them. Fuckin' amazing album.

Dookie, Nimrod, and AI, right?

Archived