21 Guns turns 5 Today!

T.C

Unarguably Green Days last real 'hit' is now half a decade old having been released to radio and digital download on May 25 2009. Share your memories with this song :)

I was 14 and in 8th grade and now im 19. Brings back nostalgic memories and still love it more than ever

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such a boulevard of broken dreams rip off. Same melody same song structure same everything. Nice chorus though.

I'd like for every green day album to have a song like this though to become hit and stay relevant.

Technically speaking, it turned five years old on May 15, 2014 when 21st Century Breakdown turned five years old.

I don't really consider the single release date to be relevant to the whole thing, unless it came out months in advance.

"when your mind breaks the spirit of your soul" what the actual fuck does that even mean?

"when your mind breaks the spirit of your soul" what the actual fuck does that even mean?

probably something pretentious since that's Billie's style these days. :whistle

i bought the single when it came out and always really liked that song but it isn't my favorite from the album

Such a boulevard of broken dreams rip off. Same melody same song structure same everything. Nice chorus though.

I'd like for every green day album to have a song like this though to become hit and stay relevant.

The melody isn't the same? Neither is the structure, really. The only similarities are the overall feel and the identical drum fill at the start of the second verse.

:ermm:

5 years later and I still haven't a fucking clue what this song is about.

I think 21 Guns fits perfectly in the story 21CB is trying to tell us. I had to listen to the whole album a few times to make up my opinion of what that song is about, but now it's become pretty clear to me.

As it comes at the end of the story, Christian and Gloria have figured out that maybe their time has gone, and "it's not worth dying" for that cause anymore. They're at "the end of the road", their faith "walks on broken glass" and "something inside their heart has died", and that, in my opinion, explains a sort of resignation that's growing up in the minds of the protagonists. All they want to do now is give up the fight and pass their pride and their guns to the next generation, the Class of 13 which will be mentioned (directly or undirectly) in the final two songs. In 21 Guns we can see that deep sense of resignation that will end up in a blast of hope in "See The Light".

Therefore I think the line "when your mind breaks the spirit of your soul" means that the reason (mind) has finally overcome the instinct (spirit of the soul) and the fight Christian and Gloria were trying to conduct has now definitively ended.

Idk guys the drum fill you mentioned the guitar melody and the fact that both songs go slow-chorous-slow-chorous-bridge-stop of music-slow-chorus remind me of each other. Guess it's just me then.

I'm supposed to care?

Not very many memories with this song. I remember even when 21CB was first released I thought this song sucked, then I heard people talk about how it was the "best" song on the album and it made me hate that album for a bit. So I've never been very fond of this song.

One of the few Green Day songs I removed from my itunes library long ago. It's hanging with Oh Love in a lonely folder somewhere on my computer.

Well, used to listen to 21 Guns all the time after a bad breakup.. really helped me.But as today is kinda hard to listen to It, bad memories and all.

"When it's time to live and let die
And you can't get another try
Something inside this heart has died,you're in ruins"

Gets me everytime.

When this songe came out, it was (like everywhere else, I guess) totally overplayed. 5 times a day in every radio station. And I hated this song, I really hated it. 6 months later, I became a green day fans and the first album I bought was 21st CB and after a few times listening to this album I really liked the song. But the musical version did it for me, I love this version so much. But the last two years or so I totally forgot the song and I barely listen to it anymore. But I share some good memories with this little piece of music. And I really love the live-versions when he repeats the "1, 21 guns" just with piano playing in the background. gives me chills everytime :wub:

The AAF version trumps the live version by miles. Overall just much better live.

The AAF version trumps the live version by miles. Overall just much better live.

The AAF version is a live version :P But yeah, I agree 100%.

I haven't listened to 21CB in over 2 years and this song isn't going to make me want to anytime soon.

I haven't listened to 21CB in over 2 years and this song isn't going to make me want to anytime soon.

I like you more and more every post you make :P

Made me a friend of GD, one of the first songs I ever heard of them. So this song is definitely good enough for me.

The AAF version is a live version :P But yeah, I agree 100%.

I meant studio, not live lol

Archived