Green Day's Fashion Choices

AmyxLongview

I’m not sure if anyone on this forum would be interested in discussing fashion, but what do you guys think about the clothing choices of the three most recent eras?

The American Idiot era was when they started having a distinctive look. They wore a lot of ties and blazers. A lot of black, red, and white to go with the AI album art. The black shirt with a red tie has become an iconic look for Billie Joe (even though my favorite is a black shirt with white tie :happy: ). They also started wearing eyeliner regularly during this era.

During the 21st Century Breakdown era, they wore a lot of leather jackets and black T-shirts. More all-black, classic rock star outfits to go with another serious album. I think this is the era when Billie started wearing patches on his shirts and jackets, which was cool.

Then they started incorporating more colors and prints to go with the “fun” vibe of the trilogy. I think some of the outfits were really cool, but some of them overused prints. There was a lot of leopard print, houndstooth, checkers, stripes, etc. They combined prints a lot and sometimes it was too much. I also wasn’t really a fan of Mike’s long hair.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, they were best dressed during the American Idiot era. Billie could never go wrong with the eyeliner and ties. :wub: Also, I agree with you about Mike's long hair during the Trilogy era. He looks much better with his shorter hair. His long hair made him look older...

I think it was the best style in the 21st Century Breakdown tour ... The painted eye of Billie Darkest that form was better than today. It is the clothes have not changed much, just a matter of the same color.

They should have just stuck with what they did during the Warning Era keep it simple and keep it about the music not your image as a band.

They should have just stuck with what they did during the Warning Era keep it simple and keep it about the music not your image as a band.

This is a giant crap!

This is a giant crap!

It's called my opinion and in no way did I discredit or attackanyone else's so why attempt to do so to mine.

It's called my opinion and in no way did I discredit or attackanyone else's so why attempt to do so to mine.

sorry not want offend you

Im not sure if anyone on this forum would be interested in discussing fashion, but what do you guys think about the clothing choices of the three most recent eras?

The American Idiot era was when they started having a distinctive look. They wore a lot of ties and blazers. A lot of black, red, and white to go with the AI album art. The black shirt with a red tie has become an iconic look for Billie Joe (even though my favorite is a black shirt with white tie :happy: ). They also started wearing eyeliner regularly during this era.

During the 21st Century Breakdown era, they wore a lot of leather jackets and black T-shirts. More all-black, classic rock star outfits to go with another serious album. I think this is the era when Billie started wearing patches on his shirts and jackets, which was cool.

Then they started incorporating more colors and prints to go with the fun vibe of the trilogy. I think some of the outfits were really cool, but some of them overused prints. There was a lot of leopard print, houndstooth, checkers, stripes, etc. They combined prints a lot and sometimes it was too much. I also wasnt really a fan of Mikes long hair.

Sorry if this isnt thread-worthy. :)

Hate to tell you you're wrong, but the black shirt and re tie started back in the Warning era, it wasn't created to compliment the AI cover, although it surely does anyways.

Hate to tell you you're wrong, but the black shirt and re tie started back in the Warning era, it wasn't created to compliment the AI cover, although it surely does anyways.

Actually, it started during the Dookie era :lol: . But he wore it A LOT more during the AI era, so in my mind I associate it with that era.

Image is very important in music, though. Plus Billie was already rocking the red and black look during Warning anyway, and as far back as Woodstock.

The clothes they wore during Warning times were fashionable at that time though (logo t shirts and baggy shorts etc), same with their spiky hair during Nimrod times and brightly coloured hair and punky/grungy clothes during Dookie times. Like most people they've always followed fashion in one way or another, and like most bands they've always dressed in a certain way to fit a certain image that they wanted to project as a band. It's no harm done, it doesn't take away from the music and if anything it complements it, it's cool when the visuals fit the sound :)

This is a giant crap!

You could try saying why you disagree instead of just being rude

Image is very important in music, though. Plus Billie was already rocking the red and black look during Warning anyway, and as far back as Woodstock.

Exactly!

The clothes they wore during Warning times were fashionable at that time though (logo t shirts and baggy shorts etc), same with their spiky hair during Nimrod times and brightly coloured hair and punky/grungy clothes during Dookie times. Like most people they've always followed fashion, and like most bands they've always dressed in a certain way to fit a certain image that they wanted to project as a band. It's no harm done, it doesn't take away from the music and if anything it complements it, it's cool when the visuals fit the sound :)

You could try saying why you disagree instead of just being rude

You are right! sorry!

Image is very important in music, though.

I agree. But when a band/artist becomes popular for the image more so their music its a terrible thing. (Not at all hinting Green Day, just countless generic pop artists in modern pop music.)

Actually, it started during the Dookie era :lol: . But he wore it A LOT more during the AI era, so in my mind I associate it with that era.

Actually, i guess that's correct. I can only think of one instance of that though :P

Actually, i guess that's correct. I can only think of one instance of that though :P

Yeah, me too. :D

Everybody says AI but how can you say the long shaggy hair, waistcoat, shirt and tie is not the best?

03-15-03_billie-joe-armstrong_original.j

Sorry but i think their best fashion era was Insomniac.. So punk. I loved GD like that.

I like it better when there's not much thinking into it, as in no "uniform", so I like everything pre-AI era and then there's the trilogy era, Billie's striped t-shirts were pretty awesome, plus there was a bit more diversity on what they were wearing at each concert, unlike in the AI tour or even 21st CBD tour (although there were the striped and coloured pants, I loved those).

I'd like them not to have an actual style to go with the next "era", no need to match colours with the album or anthing like that. It would be a nice change in my opinion.

AI >>>> Everything else.

Completely disagree. :P

Each era has its style and I love every single one of them, but my favorite of all is American Idiot.

Talking about fashion... don't we have a similar discussion on the Green Day's Looks thread?

Nah guys, 2010-2012 fashion was best. I loved Billie's blond hair and the black and red striped pants!

Nah guys, 2010-2012 fashion was best. I loved Billie's blond hair and the black and red striped pants!

That's hands down the best hair and pants combination! Plus the black and white striped socks he wore with it. :happy:

Archived