Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Green Day's Fashion Choices

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

AmyxLongview

AmyxLongview
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined Aug 15, 2009
  • 44 rep

I’m not sure if anyone on this forum would be interested in discussing fashion, but what do you guys think about the clothing choices of the three most recent eras?

The American Idiot era was when they started having a distinctive look. They wore a lot of ties and blazers. A lot of black, red, and white to go with the AI album art. The black shirt with a red tie has become an iconic look for Billie Joe (even though my favorite is a black shirt with white tie :happy: ). They also started wearing eyeliner regularly during this era.

During the 21st Century Breakdown era, they wore a lot of leather jackets and black T-shirts. More all-black, classic rock star outfits to go with another serious album. I think this is the era when Billie started wearing patches on his shirts and jackets, which was cool.

Then they started incorporating more colors and prints to go with the “fun” vibe of the trilogy. I think some of the outfits were really cool, but some of them overused prints. There was a lot of leopard print, houndstooth, checkers, stripes, etc. They combined prints a lot and sometimes it was too much. I also wasn’t really a fan of Mike’s long hair.

Edited by AmyxLongview, 20 May 2014 - 03:03 PM.

VidKid

VidKid
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Joined Apr 11, 2014
  • 54 rep

To me, they were best dressed during the American Idiot era.  Billie could never go wrong with the eyeliner and ties. :wub: Also, I agree with you about Mike's long hair during the Trilogy era.  He looks much better with his shorter hair.  His long hair made him look older...

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Always You, Never A Replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,271 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 10,936 rep

POPULAR

AI >>>> Everything else.

• Davis Weiss, StuckWithDom, Not Anyone. and 2 others like this

GugsGreenDay

GugsGreenDay
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2014
  • 68 rep

I think it was the best style in the 21st Century Breakdown tour ... The painted eye of Billie Darkest that form was better than today. It is the clothes have not changed much, just a matter of the same color.

Funky Kong

Funky Kong
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Joined Apr 18, 2014
  • 117 rep

They should have just stuck with what they did during the Warning Era keep it simple  and keep it about the music not your image as a band.

• Steven Seagull, jake7722 and Savannah. like this

GugsGreenDay

GugsGreenDay
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2014
  • 68 rep

They should have just stuck with what they did during the Warning Era keep it simple  and keep it about the music not your image as a band.

This is a giant crap!

• Mato likes this

Funky Kong

Funky Kong
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Joined Apr 18, 2014
  • 117 rep

This is a giant crap!

It's called my opinion and in no way did I discredit or attackanyone else's so why attempt to do so to mine.

• In Your Coffee Maker likes this

GugsGreenDay

GugsGreenDay
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2014
  • 68 rep

It's called my opinion and in no way did I discredit or attackanyone else's so why attempt to do so to mine.

sorry not want offend you

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• 12,426 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,518 rep

Im not sure if anyone on this forum would be interested in discussing fashion, but what do you guys think about the clothing choices of the three most recent eras?

The American Idiot era was when they started having a distinctive look. They wore a lot of ties and blazers. A lot of black, red, and white to go with the AI album art. The black shirt with a red tie has become an iconic look for Billie Joe (even though my favorite is a black shirt with white tie :happy: ). They also started wearing eyeliner regularly during this era.

During the 21st Century Breakdown era, they wore a lot of leather jackets and black T-shirts. More all-black, classic rock star outfits to go with another serious album. I think this is the era when Billie started wearing patches on his shirts and jackets, which was cool.

Then they started incorporating more colors and prints to go with the fun vibe of the trilogy. I think some of the outfits were really cool, but some of them overused prints. There was a lot of leopard print, houndstooth, checkers, stripes, etc. They combined prints a lot and sometimes it was too much. I also wasnt really a fan of Mikes long hair.

Sorry if this isnt thread-worthy.  :)

Hate to tell you you're wrong, but the black shirt and re tie started back in the Warning era, it wasn't created to compliment the AI cover, although it surely does anyways.

Funky Kong

Funky Kong
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Joined Apr 18, 2014
  • 117 rep

sorry not want offend you

you didn't lol

AmyxLongview

AmyxLongview
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined Aug 15, 2009
  • 44 rep

Hate to tell you you're wrong, but the black shirt and re tie started back in the Warning era, it wasn't created to compliment the AI cover, although it surely does anyways.

Actually, it started during the Dookie era  :lol: . But he wore it A LOT more during the AI era, so in my mind I associate it with that era.

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • Psychological Terrorist

• 12,789 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 13,143 rep

Image is very important in music, though. Plus Billie was already rocking the red and black look during Warning anyway, and as far back as Woodstock. 

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,036 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 9,671 rep

The clothes they wore during Warning times were fashionable at that time though (logo t shirts and baggy shorts etc), same with their spiky hair during Nimrod times and brightly coloured hair and punky/grungy clothes during Dookie times. Like most people they've always followed fashion in one way or another, and like most bands they've always dressed in a certain way to fit a certain image that they wanted to project as a band. It's no harm done, it doesn't take away from the music and if anything it complements it, it's cool when the visuals fit the sound  :)

This is a giant crap!

You could try saying why you disagree instead of just being rude

• Savannah. likes this

GugsGreenDay

GugsGreenDay
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2014
  • 68 rep

Image is very important in music, though. Plus Billie was already rocking the red and black look during Warning anyway, and as far back as Woodstock. 

Exactly!

The clothes they wore during Warning times were fashionable at that time though (logo t shirts and baggy shorts etc), same with their spiky hair during Nimrod times and brightly coloured hair and punky/grungy clothes during Dookie times. Like most people they've always followed fashion, and like most bands they've always dressed in a certain way to fit a certain image that they wanted to project as a band. It's no harm done, it doesn't take away from the music and if anything it complements it, it's cool when the visuals fit the sound  :)

You could try saying why you disagree instead of just being rude

You are right! sorry!

Funky Kong

Funky Kong
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Joined Apr 18, 2014
  • 117 rep

Image is very important in music, though.

I agree. But when a band/artist becomes popular for the image more so their music its a terrible thing. (Not at all hinting Green Day, just countless generic pop artists in modern pop music.)

• Savannah. likes this

Advertising

Todd

Todd

• 12,426 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,518 rep

Actually, it started during the Dookie era  :lol: . But he wore it A LOT more during the AI era, so in my mind I associate it with that era.

Actually, i guess that's correct. I can only think of one instance of that though :P

AmyxLongview

AmyxLongview
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined Aug 15, 2009
  • 44 rep

Actually, i guess that's correct. I can only think of one instance of that though :P

Yeah, me too.  :D

The Platypus!

The Platypus!
  • Broadcast This.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Joined Sep 01, 2009
  • 71 rep

Everybody says AI but how can you say the long shaggy hair, waistcoat, shirt and tie is not the best?

03-15-03_billie-joe-armstrong_original.j

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,032 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,834 rep

POPULAR

Hobo Billie Joe >>>>>> Everything else

30de92f.jpg

Spoiler

• Tubbie Head, The Platypus!, missminority182 and 6 others like this

StiffLittleFinger

StiffLittleFinger
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Joined Oct 15, 2012
  • 259 rep

Sorry but i think their best fashion era was Insomniac.. So punk. I loved GD like that.

• Savannah. likes this

Tubbie Head

Tubbie Head
  • teh biggest Blue Night fan

• 12,465 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2008
  • 2,896 rep

I like it better when there's not much thinking into it, as in no "uniform", so I like everything pre-AI era and then there's the trilogy era, Billie's striped t-shirts were pretty awesome, plus there was a bit more diversity on what they were wearing at each concert, unlike in the AI tour or even 21st CBD tour (although there were the striped and coloured pants, I loved those). 

I'd like them not to have an actual style to go with the next "era", no need to match colours with the album or anthing like that. It would be a nice change in my opinion.  

AI >>>> Everything else.

Completely disagree.  :P

• Todd and IsaGreenDay like this

Laly

Laly
  • Moving Target

• 13,949 posts
  • Joined Oct 13, 2009
  • 15,254 rep

Each era has its style and I love every single one of them, but my favorite of all is American Idiot.

Talking about fashion... don't we have a similar discussion on the Green Day's Looks thread?

Todd

Todd

• 12,426 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,518 rep
I liked everything they wore from 1989- 1996. I definitely have a 90's fetish :P

Gwen Stacy

Gwen Stacy
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2010
  • 952 rep

Nah guys, 2010-2012 fashion was best. I loved Billie's blond hair and the black and red striped pants!

AmyxLongview

AmyxLongview
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined Aug 15, 2009
  • 44 rep

Nah guys, 2010-2012 fashion was best. I loved Billie's blond hair and the black and red striped pants!

That's hands down the best hair and pants combination! Plus the black and white striped socks he wore with it.  :happy:

missminority182

missminority182
  • You Can't Kill the Me in You

• 8,200 posts
  • Joined Dec 06, 2011
  • 1,728 rep

21CB  and AI  were the best in terms of fashion

Todd

Todd

• 12,426 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,518 rep

My favorite fashion of 1994 was in Milan

icvu8tl91k96.jpg

hl7b3rt1adsr.jpg

• Savannah. likes this

Jimmy Strummer

Jimmy Strummer
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Joined May 08, 2009
  • 192 rep

For me, it's apples and oranges. I like the AI fashion for what it was, I really dug the 21CB fashion, and the Trilogy fashion was fun too. BUT if you twisted my arm and made me choose, I'd say 21CB. It wasn't too outlandish like the Trilogy but it wasn't too uniform either like AI. Plus, as the OP said, it had a classic, more dignified rock-star look. I still want a leather jacket like the one Billie used to wear all the time (I just need to come across 101 extra dollars so I can buy a similar jacket from Phix Clothing).

StuckWithInsomnia

StuckWithInsomnia
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Joined May 26, 2012
  • 451 rep

I think the Nimrod era was the best

Steven Seagull

Steven Seagull
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  • Joined Dec 02, 2012
  • 1,417 rep

What are you a fan from like 2004? You didn't even mention the dookie era. The blue hair Billie had and the green Tre hairstyle was the best. People didn't care about the looks but about the music.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users