Anaïs.

The Sad Thread

Emilie

I've lost my mum's recipe book :( It had all her favourite recipes in it and all our family recipes. I swear to god I only used it a few weeks ago and then put it back in the little magazine rack where we keep all our recipes. But I've just torn the kitchen and living room apart looking for it and I can't find it anywhere.

lizziebix

I've lost my mum's recipe book :( It had all her favourite recipes in it and all our family recipes. I swear to god I only used it a few weeks ago and then put it back in the little magazine rack where we keep all our recipes. But I've just torn the kitchen and living room apart looking for it and I can't find it anywhere.

Check your sister's room. Bet it's in there.

I know how I'd feel if I lost my mom's recipe box so I really hope you find it.

Emilie

Check your sister's room. Bet it's in there.

I know how I'd feel if I lost my mom's recipe box so I really hope you find it.

I did, it wasn't there. My brother was apparently the last one who had it but he showed me where he left it and it wasn't there

We had a massive clean up for grandmas birthday party last weekend and I'm scared someone threw it out accidentally. It's not likely because everyone who lives here knows the book is important, but still. It could have just been lost in a pile of magazines or something else that got thrown out

Cult Hero

It's really weird but I feel like I'm in a better place than I've been in for a really long time, but at the same time I miss being in school and meeting new people my own age. Everyone at work is either a lot older or younger, and I get along really well with at least some of them to the point where I don't dread work very much anymore and having to please customers and other employees, but i still feel really alone, because no one wants to hang out with someone older or a lot younger than them. And I feel like all I can think about is people I knew in the past, girls I liked or friends who don't live close anymore but especially more recently this girl who I knew throughout college but never felt like i could tell her how i felt because she was in a serious relationship with someone else and ended up marrying him a couple years ago. I know i should just move in but she lives so close and kills me that she tries to avoid me because I think she knows how i feel. It's like I need someone else to have a crush on to move on but I just haven't gotten out much over the last two years until this summer. I just wish there was a way I could spend time with her because I feel like she is the only person that would make me not feel alone even if we are just friends.

And to the previous post about animals in the road. I ran over a rather large bunny once going about 45 mph. And there was no way I could have avoided it because it hopped out of tall grass out onto on the road right before I hit it. It made me quite sad for the rest of the day knowing it was probably dead. It wasn't even like I ran over it technically I guess because it flew far away right when it hit the tire. Either died instantly or had a major concussion as I think I hit him square in the head :/

Ludwig van Beethoven

Every year on my birthday I wonder if my parents would leave me along and not scream at me for a day. That wish is always in vain.

Spike

Every year on my birthday I wonder if my parents would leave me along and not scream at me for a day. That wish is always in vain.

I'm sorry to hear that :hug:

Did you ever get your violin back, by the way?

Ludwig van Beethoven

Did you ever get your violin back, by the way?

I have access to it, but my mom is always home. :(

Spike

I have access to it, but my mom is always home. :(

That's a shame :(

Happy birthday, by the way!

Sauli

Happy Birthday :D

And I'm sorry. I can't imagine more awful situation than to be unable to play music :(

klytaemnestra

i just started reading the colour purple for english lit and my god, it's so depressing.

Spike

i just started reading the colour purple for english lit and my god, it's so depressing.

Surely it can't be as bad as watching Apocalypse Now.

klytaemnestra

Surely it can't be as bad as watching Apocalypse Now.

this is the first page:

You better not never tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy.

Dear God,

I am fourteen years old. I am I have always been a good girl. Maybe you can give me a sign letting me know what is happening to me.

Last spring after little Lucious come I heard them fussing. He was pulling on her arm. She say It too soon, Fonso, I ain't well. Finally he leave her alone. A week go by, he pulling on her arm again. She say Naw, I ain't gonna. Can't you see I'm already half dead, an all of these chilren.

She went to visit her sister doctor over Macon. Left me to see after the others. He never had a kine word to say to me. Just say You gonna do what your mammy wouldn't. First he put his thing up gainst my hip and sort of wiggle it around. Then he grab hold my titties. Then he push his thing inside my pussy. When that hurt, I cry. He start to choke me, saying You better shut up and git used to it.

But I don't never get used to it. And now I feels sick every time I be the one to cook. My mama she fuss at me an look at me. She happy, cause he good to her now. But too sick to last long.

i haven't seen apocalypse now but i'm not sure if there's anything worse.

Spike

this is the first page:

i haven't seen apocalypse now but i'm not sure if there's anything worse.

Oh, fucking hell. Point taken. :mellow:

It's hard to describe Apocalypse Now in a way that does it justice. It's just three and a half hours of I can't even...

Have you ever read The Mark On The Wall by Virginia Woolf? I've never been bored to tears by a piece of "literature" before or since. If not, here's the first 10%, and it just gets worse from there:

PERHAPS it was the middle of January in the

present year that I first looked up and saw the

mark on the wall. In order to fix a date it is

necessary to remember what one saw. So now I

think of the fire; the steady film of yellow light

upon the page of my book ; the three chrysanthemums in

the round glass bowl on the mantelpiece. Yes, it must

have been the winter time, and we had just finished our

tea, for I remember that I was smoking a cigarette when

I looked up and saw the mark on the wall for the first

time. I looked up through the smoke of my cigarette

and my eye lodged for a moment upon the burning coals,

and that old fancy of the crimson flag flapping from the

castle tower came into my mind, and I thought of the

cavalcade of red knights riding up the side of the black

rock. Rather to my relief the sight of the mark inter-

rupted the fancy, for it is an old fancy, an automatic

fancy, made as a child perhaps. The mark was a small

round mark, black upon the white wall, about six or

seven inches above the mantelpiece.

How readily our thoughts swarm upon a new object,

lifting it a little way, as ants carry a blade of straw so j

feverishly, and then leave it. ... If that mark was

made by a nail, it can't have been for a picture, it must

have been for a miniature the miniature of a lady with

white powdered curls, powder-dusted cheeks, and lips

like red carnations. A fraud of course, for the people

who had this house before us would have chosen pic-

tures in that way an old picture for an old room. That

is the sort of people they were very interesting people,

and I think of them so often, in such queer places, be-

cause one will never see them again, never know what

happened next. She wore a flannel collar round her

throat, and he drew posters for an oatmeal company,

and they wanted to leave this house because they wanted

to change their style of furniture, so he said, and he was

in process of saying that in his opinion^ art should have

ideas behind it when we were torn asunder, as one is torn

from the old lady about to pour out tea and the young

man about to hit the tennis ball in the back garden of the

suburban villa as one rushes past in the train.

klytaemnestra

Oh, fucking hell. Point taken. :mellow:

It's hard to describe Apocalypse Now in a way that does it justice. It's just three and a half hours of I can't even...

Have you ever read The Mark On The Wall by Virginia Woolf? I've never been bored to tears by a piece of "literature" before or since. If not, here's the first 10%, and it just gets worse from there:

yeah, it's fucking horrendous. just gets worse, i only read the first 21 pages and by the end of it i wanted to commit suicide. the narrator's life is just so awful.

well, that description certainly makes me want to watch it :P

i haven't ever read anything by virginia woolf, and that just cemented the fact i probably never will. i think my eyes glazed over by the second paragraph because i don't remember reading it... i tried to read the bell jar when i was about 12, didn't go well.

Kayfabe

I just finished OITNB and I'm not going to see anyone until next year!

I'm such a wuss why do I always get like this when my shows end

Spike

yeah, it's fucking horrendous. just gets worse, i only read the first 21 pages and by the end of it i wanted to commit suicide. the narrator's life is just so awful.

well, that description certainly makes me want to watch it :P

i haven't ever read anything by virginia woolf, and that just cemented the fact i probably never will. i think my eyes glazed over by the second paragraph because i don't remember reading it... i tried to read the bell jar when i was about 12, didn't go well.

Sounds a lot like Mockingjay but even worse :lol: Well, good luck with it!

Ha, yeah, it's all I've ever read by her too, totally put me off. I'm not surprised she killed herself, she probably did so after reading her own stuff. The Bell Jar was Sylvia Plath though, and is fabulous, so nur.

klytaemnestra

Sounds a lot like Mockingjay but even worse :lol: Well, good luck with it!

Ha, yeah, it's all I've ever read by her too, totally put me off. I'm not surprised she killed herself, she probably did so after reading her own stuff. The Bell Jar was Sylvia Plath though, and is fabulous, so nur.

haha thank you!! i'll need it. although tbf this is just for pre-summer A2, by the time september comes i'll know for sure what texts we'll be doing and the colour purple won't necessarily be one of them which is good. i hope it's not.

hahah yeah i can't really blame her for it. yeah i should have mentioned sylvia plath in my post :P i was a very maudlin 12 year old, but it was all a bit much for me. i'm sure dracula is great but it's not for nine year olds, which i learnt at nine hahaha.

• Like 1

Spike

haha thank you!! i'll need it. although tbf this is just for pre-summer A2, by the time september comes i'll know for sure what texts we'll be doing and the colour purple won't necessarily be one of them which is good. i hope it's not.

hahah yeah i can't really blame her for it. yeah i should have mentioned sylvia plath in my post :P i was a very maudlin 12 year old, but it was all a bit much for me. i'm sure dracula is great but it's not for nine year olds, which i learnt at nine hahaha.

I'm so glad I never did A level Lit. I did English Language and all I ever heard from people who did both was whining about Lit :P But yeah, that sounds so shit, so I hope for your sake it's not one of them.

And I shouldn't be so quick to correct people ;) Haha wow, well just call yourself an early developer, or something. I was listening to Rammstein by the time I was eight, so you're not alone :P

klytaemnestra

I'm so glad I never did A level Lit. I did English Language and all I ever heard from people who did both was whining about Lit :P But yeah, that sounds so shit, so I hope for your sake it's not one of them.

And I shouldn't be so quick to correct people ;) Haha wow, well just call yourself an early developer, or something. I was listening to Rammstein by the time I was eight, so you're not alone :P

i love english lit like i said to maddy in the fuckoff huge posts, i'm really good at it and i've enjoyed most of the texts we've done (with the exception of ian mcewan's enduring love, fuck me i hate that book). this one in particular is just especially awful, haha. hopefully the first chapter is all i'll have to read. english language sounds like hell to me, i hated it.

yeah i mean i didn't finish it all because i was expecting it to be like 'AND THEN HE BIT LOADS OF PEOPLE'S NECKS YEAAAAAAH MURDER!! VAMPIRES!!' but it was just letters and old people speak and yeah. i read maybe five pages then went back to harry potter :P hahaha well i was fairly normal until i discovered green day at nine, and then i turned into an emo. i was a tomboy to begin with, with ambitious taste in books, but it just got out of control.

Spike

i love english lit like i said to maddy in the fuckoff huge posts, i'm really good at it and i've enjoyed most of the texts we've done (with the exception of ian mcewan's enduring love, fuck me i hate that book). this one in particular is just especially awful, haha. hopefully the first chapter is all i'll have to read. english language sounds like hell to me, i hated it.

yeah i mean i didn't finish it all because i was expecting it to be like 'AND THEN HE BIT LOADS OF PEOPLE'S NECKS YEAAAAAAH MURDER!! VAMPIRES!!' but it was just letters and old people speak and yeah. i read maybe five pages then went back to harry potter :P hahaha well i was fairly normal until i discovered green day at nine, and then i turned into an emo. i was a tomboy to begin with, with ambitious taste in books, but it just got out of control.

It's no surprise you didn't like Enduring Love, your first clue should have been the fact that the author has "ew" in his name. I'm used to the "wtf" reaction when I mention doing English Language; I wasn't particularly into it at first but then it turned out I was really good at it and got straight As without even trying, so I really started to enjoy it. I nearly ended up doing something related to it at uni, actually. I mean obviously the shit like punctuation analysis blah blah blah is really fucking boring but we did a lot of creative writing as well and I really got into that.

:lol: It'd have been so much better if it was like that, why don't you rewrite it? Tbh everyone should prioritise Harry Potter over anything else at any given time, so fair enough. Tbh I see nothing wrong with being a nine-year-old tomboy emo bookworm, but maybe that's just me.

Emilie

Saddest book I've read was a Thousand Splendid Suns. It was just so unfair. I was almost more angry than sad. My friend read it before me and she actually made me wait and read the ending in front of her because she knew I'd get pissed off at the stupid book

Libertine Angel

My sister did A-level English Lit - the teacher was so bad she got permission from the college to not go to class and teach herself. I think she got an E, and the college was put in special measures and then taken over.

I read things earlier than people consider normal too - I started on Lord of the Rings when I was 7, and when we had to bring in our favourite poems for school, I chose A Refusal to Mourn the Death by Fire of a Child in London by Dylan Thomas. It confused people.

Spike

My sister did A-level English Lit - the teacher was so bad she got permission from the college to not go to class and teach herself. I think she got an E, and the college was put in special measures and then taken over.

Impressive! In my first year of GCSE Physics the teacher was awful. We got a new one at the start of second year who was known to be amazing, and he said "last year your teacher was shite so I'm teaching you both years this year." Not a single person failed and most came out with As and Bs.
  • Like 2

Anaïs.

Saddest book for me personally is Flowers for Algernon. The only line in a book that's ever brought me close to tears is

"Please don't let me forget how to reed and rite..."

God, I well up just thinking about it.

Libertine Angel

Impressive! In my first year of GCSE Physics the teacher was awful. We got a new one at the start of second year who was known to be amazing, and he said "last year your teacher was shite so I'm teaching you both years this year." Not a single person failed and most came out with As and Bs.

Fortunately I had decent Science teachers by the time I started GCSEs, but years 7 and 8 were terrible - the teacher tried to connect a voltmeter in series, and was then confused when it didn't work. I actually ended up literally standing at the front of the class teaching the lesson a few times, as well as marking work and setting things up when they went wrong. Should've been paid as a teaching assistant, really.

• Like 1