5th Anniversary of 21st Century Breakdown

AmyxLongview

First post.

I have a question that I didn't quite know where to put so it's going here: if incorporated into the album's three-act structure, where would the B-sides (Hearts Collide and Lights Out) and bonus tracks (Another State of Mind, That's All Right, Like a Rolling Stone, and A Quick One While He's Away) fit?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could've been at the show you went to, had they just let us on the white list for Schengen a couple of months earlier. Dammit. :(

Glad it was awesome for you and everybody else, though. <3

:(:hug: I'm sorry to hear that!

• 2 months later...

First post.

I have a question that I didn't quite know where to put so it's going here: if incorporated into the album's three-act structure, where would the B-sides (Hearts Collide and Lights Out) and bonus tracks (Another State of Mind, That's All Right, Like a Rolling Stone, and A Quick One While He's Away) fit?

Hearts Collide and Lights Out weren't probably written during this album sessions, some people believe that they were from Cigarettes And Valentines album, judging by the Billie's voice the songs are for sure older than 21st CB.

the cover ones are just covers, nothing related with the album timeline

Hearts Collide and Lights Out weren't probably written during this album sessions, some people believe that they were from Cigarettes And Valentines album, judging by the Billie's voice the songs are for sure older than 21st CB.

the cover ones are just covers, nothing related with the album timeline

Hearts Collide has to be from the 21st sessions cause that sounds more like Vig's production style than Rob or GD's

Damn 21st century garbage. I actually listened the whole album maybe 5 times. The songs are really boring.

To me, this isn't even a main Green Day album. It's like a rock opera side project

According to Green Day it isn't a rock opera (and I agree since it doesn't have a real story line, just has characters in the songs). Also really? Even with it being promoted by the band so much and the huge tour that went with it etc? And is American Idiot also like a side project then?

According to Green Day it isn't a rock opera (and I agree since it doesn't have a real story line, just has characters in the songs). Also really? Even with it being promoted by the band so much and the huge tour that went with it etc? And is American Idiot also like a side project then?

I don't listen to it like I do the other albums, so I don't really include it. Also, the fact that they only play one song off it anymore really pushes it into the shadows. That's how I feel about it

I don't listen to it like I do the other albums, so I don't really include it. Also, the fact that they only play one song off it anymore really pushes it into the shadows. That's how I feel about it

That's just unimaginable :lol:. But it's probably because I was on GDC when it came out, following everything to do with it before and during when it was coming out and they were releasing singles and promoting it and touring it and everything means it's probably the most "main" Green Day album of all to me.

One of the best songs in this album is Murder City, that was the last song Billie wrote, right before the album beind finalized. This one doesn't have the touch of Butch vig on it, it sounds more the old Green Day, raw and pure.

my least favorite album

Also, the fact that they only play one song off it anymore really pushes it into the shadows. That's how I feel about it

If we were to use that logic, your beloved 1039 Slappy Hours would not be a Green Day album either. Actually since they do not play any songs from it, it should be viewed as a mistake they did when they were young and stoned.

So, an invalid argument. It is ok that you do not like it but damn it is a real Green Day album, like it or not :P

If we were to use that logic, your beloved 1039 Slappy Hours would not be a Green Day album either. Actually since they do not play any songs from it, it should be viewed as a mistake they did when they were young and stoned.

So, an invalid argument. It is ok that you do not like it but damn it is a real Green Day album, like it or not :P

It's not an album. 39/Smooth is an album. And that's not my logic, that's just how I view 21CB. And they play plenty of songs from 1039. Pasalacqua, Paper Lanterns, Knowledge, Disappearing Boy. It may be a real Green Day album, but it doesn't feel like one to me :P

It's not an album. 39/Smooth is an album. And that's not my logic, that's just how I view 21CB. And they play plenty of songs from 1039. Pasalacqua, Paper Lanterns, Knowledge, Disappearing Boy. It may be a real Green Day album, but it doesn't feel like one to me :P

When was the last time they played Pasacqua or Paper Lanterns???

They play as much songs of 21st as they did 1039 (or whatever the hell you want to call it) on the last tour

When was the last time they played Pasacqua or Paper Lanterns???

They play as much songs of 21st as they did 1039 (or whatever the hell you want to call it) on the last tour

They played Going to Pasalacqua 15 times, Disappearing Boy 5 times, Only of You twice, and Paper Lanterns once. Murder City was brought out 6 times, and East Jesus Nowhere was only played for Soundwave this year, 5 times. Know Your Enemy was the only song carrying 21CB for most shows, and we all know that's everyone's favorite song. I'm not including secret shows or off-tour shows

I don't know why everyone's getting all worked up. I'm not saying it's not an album, All I did was state how the album feels to me. Try all you want to convince me that it's Green Day's best album, but you're not gonna change anything for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's an excellent albums mostly; the tour was amazing, and the songs worked brilliantly live.

It may be overblown, pompous..etc etc, but sometimes albums like that are needed, a band taking a big risk and even if the payout isn't the glorious victory march, it at least signifies some artistic vision and integrity.

21stCB is seen cynically by many, but I love it, faults and all. Too many damn good songs on it; the rock opera narrative may be ill-defined and vague, but the sheer melody carries the whole thing through.

Archived