5th Anniversary of 21st Century Breakdown

AmyxLongview

I love this album & not sure why people don't like it. Also was the first time I managed to see GD on tour so it holds lots of memories for me.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a massive fan of the album, its my least favourite Green Day album........... But......

....It does hold a lot of memory's for me! And the 21st Century Breakdown tour was pretty fucking awesome!

Songs that I reaaaally love of this album:

The static age

American eulogy

Last of the American girls

Murder city

Horseshoes and hand grenades

21stcb

Last night on earth

I can remember this album coming out, and being so excited and scared haha

5 years have really flown by

When 21CB came out:

User 1: has it leaked yet?

User 2: leak?

User 3: anyone have a download

User 4: still can't find it :(

User 5: leak anyone?

I think it's Green Day's best album. Anyone else with me?

When anything comes out:

User 1: has it leaked yet?

User 2: leak?

User 3: anyone have a download

User 4: still can't find it :(

User 5: leak anyone?

Five years, damn.

I still enjoy this album a lot. I think the biggest problem is the production, and I wish I had more insight on audio technologies to really have an opinion, but that's been discussed to death (especially here) so whatever. Production aside there isn't really a song on this album I don't like, even with a few duds.

5 years? crazy.

Still love the LP. The title track, Little Girl, Peacemaker, Last Night On Earth, and Eulogy are some of the band's finest work.

Little Girl is still so fresh, ahh.

I was so scared for this album- know your enemy was the worst song on the album so I was apprehensive about putting so much hope in another GD album. I, like many, fell in love with GD with American Idiot. So this was the first GD album I ran to the store to get on release day! I remember the day so clearly. I went with my dad and sister to get it and my dad was like are you sure you want to get it- lol I'm like "YES" haha. I put the cd in the car and yup fell instantly in love with the album. I think it was the first time I really fell in love with an album that fast- it took me awhile to really appreciate American Idiot. Thanks to this album I got to see my first Green Day concert in Hamilton - I pretty much bought the tickets without telling my parents that it was in Hamilton- because it would be such a big deal! Thankfully my dad caved in and drove me and my sis to Hamilton (we even got into a bit of an accident on the way there- a lady wasn't paying attention and hit the bumper of our car- thankfully it was rush hour and the highway was basically at a crawling speed- anyways back to my story- That concert changed my life- it was In that moment I was hooked- they became my fave band- I became loyal for life. I spent the whole year after trying to relive the concert in my mind. The next year they came to Toronto and I got another chance to see Green Day live ! Between the Hamilton show and the Toronto show- was the worst year I had ever gone through. My dad was diagnosed with cancer and died 2 months later- the tickets came out the day of my dad's internment- I tried to get tickets- but since I wasn't in the idiot club at the time- the best seats were already in the 400's section. I found someone who had an extra ticket because her friend bailed on her to go to comic- con? And she had a floor ticket :) we waited 8 hours! It was august and it was so damn hot! That concert was therapy to me!

21CB is pretty much tied as first in my books.

Although I'll always love American Idiot more, 21CB had amazing arrangements and lyrics. Great album.

Ah 21st Century Breakdown was my first Green Day album! It will always have a special place in my heart. I remember listening to it non-stop the summer between 8th and 9th grade...

Best Green Day tour as well.

By faaaaar. Full of energy and rarities and even songs we may never hear again. It seemed like that tour was when they really embraced their place as a band and their past and future. And yeah I love 21st Century, it's an awesome album and full of great poetry and imagery. I like how Christian and Gloria sort of continue the themes of St. Jimmy and Whatsername but in a less concrete way since their not as fleshed out. They're more like personifications than actual characters and I think it works great especially for an album.

One of my favourite GD albums! Cant believe its 5 years already! My first concert was the 21CB tour :D

Wow!

I remeber listening all the way over & over during the time it was came out expecially when I was nervous for my school exams (I graduated on July of the same year) and then it became of my favorite albums; I fell it's epic just like AI and a little bit more than Dookie since it has a bit of a storyline.

I've listen all the way through just yesterday and it was really amazing.

It was also the fist album that came out after I became fan in 2005 with AI and BIAB.

Happy fucking birthday to 21st Century (fucking) Breakdown

Happy Birthday, my baby :wub: I listened to you all the way through yesterday!
The 21stCB tour was epic, loved the pyros, confetti, and the different backdrops!

The 21stCB tour was epic, loved the pyros, confetti, and the different backdrops!

that's the best tour in my opinion;

Not as epic as AI world tour, but the setlists are awesome!

So it seems that I'm one of the only ones to really dislike this album.

Except for EJN of course.

Happy birthday 21CB!

To be honest, its not one that is high on my list of albums but it does have some cracking songs on it.

Life changing album for me. First concert I ever saw was for my 12th birthday on the 21st Century Breakdown tour in 2009. I honestly wouldn't be in a band playing my own stuff and doing my own tours without this record. Crazy how such a tiny disc can completely change your life.

Fucking hell I was 12 when the album came out. It doesn't seem that long ago! :mellow:

Only listen to American Eulogy, Static Age and 21 Guns off this album. Going to have to give it a full listen soon.

By far the best tour I swear it seemed to last forever. Saw them twice, the O2 London (the second night) and at Wembley. It was amazing

Wow, time flies. The anticipation for this album was great; even four years after American Idiot, everyone still couldn't get enough of Green Day. The first single echoed the same energy as American Idiot (the single), and I remember Know Your Enemy being all over the local rock stations.

The actual album seemed less accessible at first; it followed a tighter narrative and took a lot more chances musically. After originally being disappointed, I finally "got it" after listening to it over enough. Listening to it fully is an undertaking, but quite rewarding in the long run. The story is relatable, and the songwriting is still Green Day. All in all, I may skip a lot of the songs on shuffle, but when I'm in the mood, the whole album still has the same impact as it did... 5 years ago, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

21 Guns was released 5 years ago today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r00ikilDxW4&feature=kp

You were 12 :mellow:

So was I.

WAIT A MINUTE, THAT WAS FOR INSOMNIAC.

Anyway, 21st Century Breakdown...I remember liking Peacemaker so much at first that I didn't even bother to give a go to other songs for the first couple of *weeks*, as that was the first one that came on shuffle and I adored it from its very first chords. Just.too.good. :wub:

I could've been at the show you went to, had they just let us on the white list for Schengen a couple of months earlier. Dammit. :(

Glad it was awesome for you and everybody else, though. <3

Archived