Debate: What is the greatest show Green Day has ever played?

Gwen Stacy

I really like Goat Island or Milton Keynes show, but I think that Reading 2012. show is personally my favourite.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wembley Stadium was pretty fucking amazing, I also liked Shepherd's Bush but Billie was drunk/stoned as there so...

Great topic. Off the top of my head some of my favs are the last show on the warped tour (warning era), the house of blues show and when they played CBGB's. I gotta say minority at CBGB's is my fav rendition of that though

edit: obviously I'd call boring days in paradise pretty high up there too

I remember the second night of Madison Square Garden in 2009 being pretty well-talked-up on here.

Probably this gig, solely for that Jason White dance move at 2:16

I don't know, but I'm gonna say the Dreamforce Conference show where the sound went off and they played Peacemaker and other goodies! I love it when unexpected things happen at concerts, and they did a great job keeping the show going.

His voice sounded different because he was blackout drunk at iHeart.

They were on meth at Irving 2012? huh

Holy crap I meant to say that about Jaded in Chicago... I am so smrt.

As much as saying Milton Keynes might be a bit of a cop-out because of BIAB, it does have some merit. Billie's showmanship was particularly on point and the sheer size of that show made it a spectacle.

I don't know, but I'm gonna say the Dreamforce Conference show where the sound went off and they played Peacemaker and other goodies! I love it when unexpected things happen at concerts, and they did a great job keeping the show going.

I don't understand what I'm listening to. It sounds like Billie's mic is the only thing that stopped, but I feel like I'm missing something.

[Edit:] And in this one it sounds like either Billie's or Jason's guitar is out too or something.

Irving Plaza 2012 was fucking amazing. I was there, and looking back on it, it was definitely a band right before implosion. The energy was fucking insane, and yeah the setlist was the best with over 40 songs and tons of rarities.

Other contenders that I've attended are- Hartford CT 2010, Rochester NY 2013 and Providence RI 2013.

That's a tough one, but I say 2005 era contained some of the best shows. Just perfect in every way. I remember the show I went to, and by the 10th song they played, I was thinking "they can't top that!" and then they did, over and over again.

For the Dookie era (I'm not really familiar with most of the other shows), I would probably give Mudstock or Madison Square Garden - if only for the mud fight or the naked Billie. Otherwise it's a tie between Madison Square Garden and Jaded in Chicago (I have a gut feeling that the one aired on TV was cut down a bit - which kinda slightly lessens its overall points). :D

Irving Plaza 2012 was fucking amazing. I was there, and looking back on it, it was definitely a band right before implosion. The energy was fucking insane, and yeah the setlist was the best with over 40 songs and tons of rarities.

Other contenders that I've attended are- Hartford CT 2010, Rochester NY 2013 and Providence RI 2013.

Isnt that the concert where billie fell backwards into the crowd & in WMUWSE he said "Daddy" - he was pretty drunk. Also in an interview he said he woke up in a park afterwards. - I am not sure if I have the correct one but if it is the same one I watched Mike looked really pissed off with Billie.

Isnt that the concert where billie fell backwards into the crowd & in WMUWSE he said "Daddy" - he was pretty drunk. Also in an interview he said he woke up in a park afterwards. - I am not sure if I have the correct one but if it is the same one I watched Mike looked really pissed off with Billie.

Yup, that's the one. Yeah, he was obviously drunk and there was an intensity I saw that I've never seen before or after. I never got the impression that Mike was upset during the show, he was actually bantering back and forth with him and seemed to be enjoying himself.

But removing all the turmoil surrounding that time period, the energy and the setlist make it the best show I've ever been to.

Yup, that's the one. Yeah, he was obviously drunk and there was an intensity I saw that I've never seen before or after. I never got the impression that Mike was upset during the show, he was actually bantering back and forth with him and seemed to be enjoying himself.

But removing all the turmoil surrounding that time period, the energy and the setlist make it the best show I've ever been to.

Ok then - I remember watching WMUWSE from that concert - after iheart - just seeing that clip was pretty confronting. Billie was a mess. 30 year anniversary.

For me personally, out of all the GD concerts I've attended, the best was King's College (London) - it was a radio session gig during the 'Warning' era and there was no more then about 150 people in the room. Plus they aired the likes of Scattered, Blood, Sex and Booze, Platypus and Church on Sunday which added to the event!

I also saw Foxboro Hot Tubs at The Garage in London, 2009 - and Billie fell on top of me during a stage dive and, for a few seconds, we were duetting into the mic :-D I also spoke to Jason after the gig briefly and he gave me a guitar pick.

Philly.

December 1994.

3 guys in a band.

No fancy expensive Gibson guitars....just 1 beat up blue guitar.

No fireworks.

No confetti.

No t-shirt cannon.

Just pure, raw, rock music.

For me personally, out of all the GD concerts I've attended, the best was King's College (London) - it was a radio session gig during the 'Warning' era and there was no more then about 150 people in the room. Plus they aired the likes of Scattered, Blood, Sex and Booze, Platypus and Church on Sunday which added to the event!

That was the one where they did Holidays In The Sun, right? I wish I'd been at that one.

I also saw Foxboro Hot Tubs at The Garage in London, 2009 - and Billie fell on top of me during a stage dive and, for a few seconds, we were duetting into the mic :-D I also spoke to Jason after the gig briefly and he gave me a guitar pick.

How fabulous! For me personally that's always going to be the best gig hands down, pure fun and beyond surreal.

That was the one where they did Holidays In The Sun, right? I wish I'd been at that one.

I think so - my memory of the whole set is hazy! I did find a bootleg CD of it a couple of weeks later but it's not on there. Setlist.fm also claims they played Jackass but I think that is incorrect - I'd definitely remember that because its one of my top 10 songs ever :-)

I can only really speak for the one Green Day concert I've been at. It was when I was on holiday in France, Green Day played the Nimes ampitheatre. It was a surprise birthday present. The band seemed to really enjoy themselves onstage. During KFOD, Billie threw the microphone to Jason, who missed it. That was hilarious. And Billie dragged a little kid dressed up as the drunk bunny onstage during Hitchin' a Ride. That was a fuckin' brilliant night!

• 5 weeks later...

I can only really speak for the one Green Day concert I've been at. It was when I was on holiday in France, Green Day played the Nimes ampitheatre. It was a surprise birthday present. The band seemed to really enjoy themselves onstage. During KFOD, Billie threw the microphone to Jason, who missed it. That was hilarious. And Billie dragged a little kid dressed up as the drunk bunny onstage during Hitchin' a Ride. That was a fuckin' brilliant night!

I was there too, you also dutch? I also saw someone with a sound recorder... but didn't saw that recording on the internet.

Wembley Stadium. although im probably biased because i was there

I would have to think that anything from the 21cb tour would be up there.

As for the Rochester 2013 one, I was there and it was a great show, but idk what would really make it their "greatest show ever"

I was there too, you also dutch? I also saw someone with a sound recorder... but didn't saw that recording on the internet.

No, no, I'm Scottish. I was just on holiday at the time. Were you seated or standing?

Archived