Debate: What is the greatest show Green Day has ever played?

Gwen Stacy

So since this clearly didn't belong in the opinions thread, what do you guys think the best full show Green Day has ever played? It can be in terms of setlist, showmanship, memorable moments, or really whatever reason, but please provide some reasoning.

I'd say it'd be the show at the Roseland Ballroom because of the incredible setlist. It had big hits next to deep cuts, and was unlike any other setlist we've ever seen Green Day play. Warning hadn't even been released yet so that was all new material at the time. They played Wilhelm Fink and even teased a little bit of Desensitized! Ending on Scattered is a stroke of genius. And we have the whole thing recorded!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jaded concert is up there

I'd argue the Fritz Radio show in 2004. American Idiot had only been out for a month, the audience was tiny, the banter was absolutely hilarious, they played The Grouch and completely fucked it up, played I Fought The Law as well as both JOS and Homecoming, and that version of Knowledge is easily the best I've ever heard.

There's also the Warfield show where they did 39 songs including Take Back, JAR, Disappearing Boy, If Only You Were Lonely, Sweet Home Alabama, the Midwest Medley, Brown Sugar, Dancing With Myself, Rock The Casbah with Jason White on lead vocals, Blitzkreig Bop, I Fought The Law, Won't Get Fooled Again, We Are The Champions and American Idiot start to finish.

not bad but goat island is still my favorite show I mean billie joe tends to some "important" business. the horns in king for a day are the best they ever have and probably the best rant by anyone ever was given by billie joe that day

Lol @ anyone who says Milton Keynes as that is probably the only live show they've seen.

I'd say Irving Plaza 2012 if Billie wasn't drunk off his ass. Killer setlist + it had like 40 songs

Any show you personally were at!

I'm not saying that any show I was at was by any means the best set list they played or the best they ever played or even the show with the most laughs etc!

But if you're opinion of the best Green Day show ever is one you weren't at then I'm not sure you were doing it right!

Obviously if you've never been to a Green Day show then yeah this doesn't apply to you and I really hope you do get to see a show live in the flesh because there is nothing like being there in person no matter what band/artist it is!!!

But it would be sad if you had been at a Green Day show or multiple shows and your favourite isn't even one you went to!

I didn't even realize they'd played that live, turns out they've done it at least twice.

They did it at both shows I mentioned so that's at least three times.

Pomona 2013. Billie's first show back from rehab. If you had taken Billie's voice from iHeartRadio and his voice from Pomona, they don't even sound slightly similar. It was a comeback show. He proved to all of us how strong he was.

I don't know, maybe I'm biased because I was there. If I couldn't choose that one I'd have to say either Jaded in chicago or Fox Theater in Oakland 2009.

Edit: The Roseland ballroom show was on my second birthday awkward. ALSO: Am I the only person who doesn't like the fact that every band I listen to has covered I fought the law.

I'd say Irving Plaza 2012 if Billie wasn't drunk off his ass. Killer setlist + it had like 40 songs

If they could've squeezed in JOS and Billie was sober I think Irving Plaza would take the cake. I forgot how that setlist had almost everything.

I know they were on speed the whole time but the fucking energy in that show is over the top and it's fantastic.

The best is Costa Rica 2010. Their longest show ever, with songs performed after 15 years and a lot of rarities. Plus, the breakdown tour is far the best. Green Day probably never reach that top again.

I'm biased but still, Costa Rica in 2010. The setlist was amazing and the band were their absolute best (not that they haven't been for some of the more recent gigs, but this one had all the other stuff too). Billie said he was really bad then but you wouldn't have known.

The setlist:

Song of the Century
21st Century Breakdown
Know Your Enemy
East Jesus Nowhere
Holiday
¡Viva la Gloria!
Give Me Novacaine
Letterbomb
Are We the Waiting
St. Jimmy
Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Burnout
Geek Stink Breath
One for the Razorbacks
Brat
One of My Lies
Only of You
Dominated Love Slave
Disappearing Boy
I Was There
Road to Acceptance
Waiting
Christie Road
Paper Lanterns
2000 Light Years Away
Hitchin' a Ride
When I Come Around
Iron Man / Rock and Roll / Shout at the Devil / Sweet Child o' Mine / Highway to Hell / Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love / Eruption
Brain Stew
Jaded
Longview
Knowledge
Basket Case
She
King for a Day
Shout / Break On Through (to the Other Side) / (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction / Hey Jude
Extraordinary Girl (Billie Joe acoustic, partial)
21 Guns
Minority
Encore:
American Idiot
Jesus of Suburbia
Encore 2:
Whatsername (Billie Joe acoustic)
Wake Me Up When September Ends
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)
(ending with Wake Me Up When September Ends snippet)

I'm up there with Not Anyone. It's the Warfield show. But I would also like to add:

1. Warfield 2005: The longest Green Day show ever done in California, in the bay area. Green Day churned out thirty nine songs, with rares such as Take Back and Disappearing Boy.

2. Woodstock 1994: The site of the infamous mud fight and Mike getting accidentally smashed into by a security guard.

3. Gilman 2001: The last gig of the Warning era and the first show back at Gilman since being banned.

Pomona 2013. Billie's first show back from rehab. If you had taken Billie's voice from iHeartRadio and his voice from Pomona, they don't even sound slightly similar. It was a comeback show. He proved to all of us how strong he was.

I don't know, maybe I'm biased because I was there. If I couldn't choose that one I'd have to say either Jaded in chicago or Fox Theater in Oakland 2009.

Edit: The Roseland ballroom show was on my second birthday awkward. ALSO: Am I the only person who doesn't like the fact that every band I listen to has covered I fought the law.

His voice sounded different because he was blackout drunk at iHeart.

If they could've squeezed in JOS and Billie was sober I think Irving Plaza would take the cake. I forgot how that setlist had almost everything.

I know they were on speed the whole time but the fucking energy in that show is over the top and it's fantastic.

They were on meth at Irving 2012? huh

His voice sounded different because he was blackout drunk at iHeart.

Congratulations, you found her point.

Congratulations, you found her point.

Ok dude. Don't have to talk down to people.

Ok dude. Don't have to talk down to people.

Yes I do. It's my "thing".

First I'll say I think if Foxboro Hot Tubs is included it's definitely one of those shows that would be the best, probably the first New York show where Fuck Time debuted and the Rev was literally hanging from the rafters would be the one.

For Green Day shows it's so hard though! There's things about their kind of standard show from every era that are great. I think I'd go with the Warfield show maybe, the full AI experiences AND a load of other interesting songs all in one show and in a small venue. From the audio it sounds like it was amazing. Or one of the shows from the 2010 leg of the 21st CB tour, not sure which would be best overall but the setlists and the form the band were on during the last shows in North and South America really seem hard to beat.

the first AI and the first 21stCB shows are incredible;

a new whole album from front to back!!

It's online somewhere but I loved the 1994 show in Chicago. It really showed their personalities and it makes me wish I had been a teenager then so I could have experienced that era live. It also makes me feel bad for my aunt because that is the show she was grounded from going to.

though i haven't experienced them, but i'd still say woodstock 94 (b/c mudfight) and Jaded in Chicago. (b/c how beej sang She) :lol:

Archived