[Opinion] What's next for Green Day?

Sanity Loan

I think their next album will be closer to something like Warning, a little bit more positive and uplifting lyrically, more of a personal record. I imagine after the fun/party/silliness of Uno Dos Tre, the guys would want to put something out a little more thoughtful and "mature". I'm sure Billie will in some way address getting sober, but I think he'll do it from a hopeful/uplifting perspective, not in a "I'm struggling so much, woe is me" kind of way. I don't think it'll be a rock opera with characters living through his struggles or whatever, I would guess first person and just a more personal vibe overall. I always thought Warning was Green Day's closest record to a late Replacements sound. The trilogy had hints of that, and I can totally see them continuing down that path. And in regards to how it'll sell or their relevance in mainstream music, I just could not fucking care less.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if anyone has said this or not yet, but what about an actual lo-fi ska-punk album with a little warning thrown in? Not like nimrod tho, more like actual hardcore and roots replacement type alternative rock. Really mix it up a lot too, start fresh, make people say wow that is by far green day's most mature record.

Not going to speculate other than to say no matter what I say it may be proven wrong.

For their next record, I'll be happy with whatever they decide to do. What I'd like to see though, is this- they build on what they were doing on TRE, and do what Billie said he wanted to do, make it a concept album and record it live in a room together. I think that would be super rad.

this. But whatever they decide to do, the wait is gonna be painful

This isn't really me guessing what there gonna do but more hoping or what I would like to see next but I'm hoping for a dark green day a green day were it's familier but yet you go "wait that's green day?!?" When I say dark I mean songs like:

Viva la Gloria (little girl)

Restless heart syndrome (especially the ending)

Before the lobotomy (also mainly the heavy ending)

Lazy bones

And blood sex and booze

Anyone else agree?

Nothing would make me happier than if they made an album like this. That would be amazing. I LOVE their darker stuff, and these songs are all top Green Day favorites for me.

Considering the past few years they've had, I don't think "dark" would be out of the question.

As for the popularity debate - You know what? They've had two peaks in their career, which is more than most, so I can't see why they couldn't do it one more time. It doesn't really matter to me whether they have mainstream popularity or not, but they are one of the only lasting, relevant rock bands we have left who have mass appeal. They have unbelievable staying power and people of all generations appreciate them. Mostly, their continued popularity will depend on what the state of music is like when they release their next album. Right now rock is certainly not the most popular in the way it was when Dookie & AI came out. But that could change in a few years. The music industry is constantly changing.

I'd also like to add that whatever they do next, I think it will be done very quietly and without much promotion. Between Billie talking about how stressed he felt about all of the Trilogy promotional touring and his remark about his album with Norah Jones about how nice it was to release an album and not tell anyone, I'm really thinking that Green Day will take that approach in the future. It seems like more and more artists have been doing this recently and it seems like a good way to handle album releases.

There is literally one billion different directions they could go in. There are a few scenarios that I could see as possible.

1. If we want to look at their history, this period here has many similarities to the Warning period. They took a hit commercially with the trilogy, they have been written off by the mainstream. Critics/reviewers essentially consider them done making anything decent/relevant. So if we think history repeats itself, then perhaps they look to make a statement. Now, I'm not suggesting we see another political rock opera but what this scenario could entail would be more about the promotion/image then the music almost. The music would probably be radio friendly and more similar to AI in production than the trilogy. Ballads would be abundant.

2. Nimrod/Warning style experimentation. This seems the odds on favorite. Not much promotion or hooplah, but a decent sized album with some weird (probably retro) stuff that we haven't really heard from GD before.

3. They dip their toes in the hard rock genre. Only reason I say this is because this is where it seems many alt/punk bands go. The genres are close anyway. This may just be GD's general style with more focus on harder guitars and drums. With it an increase in the technicality of their instrumentation.

I don't think there's not going to be much as far as in the short term. I'm really hoping that Foxboro Hot Tubs makes a couple more appearances.

Otherwise, I'm guessing in a couple of years they'll bring out another album and do another tour. Y'know, the rather usual stuff.

There is literally one billion different directions they could go in. There are a few scenarios that I could see as possible.

I like all three of your ideas/scenarios. I would like to see your option #1, but wouldn't mind #2 or #3

I hope that Green Day does not retire. I hope that they get the much needed hiatus they deserve and that they come back together stronger than ever. I want to see them persevere and become the band they are meant to be instead of the band they were. Even what happened at iHeart carried important messages to millions of people. This should not be an ending... it should be a beginning.

What happened to the person looking forward to life and enjoying it, and who is this new person who frowns at the world as it behaves inappropriately... there is a definite progression even if "there is no progress", things change no matter what is done to try to stop it, yet at the same time... isn't the cycle of war and chaos a bit "redundant"? Green Day has given us a lot to think about, and I hope they do not stop.

Green Day worked really hard on the trilogy (watch Cuatro). They were operating on "all cylinders" and created music that touched on all aspects of their career. It featured fun songs, catchy pop-punk songs, personal songs and even political songs. I enjoyed it a lot but it seems that some people were expecting something different. It just shows that you can't please everyone.

I'm guessing it will take some time for Green Day to feel the same sense of excitement that they felt going into the trilogy. I'm thinking that they will focus on the American Idiot movie, a second greatest hits compilation, and (hopefully) Dookie/American Idiot reissues. I also think that the members may focus on some other projects, like Billie did with Norah Jones. Whatever they do, I'm always ready and eager to hear.

The safest speculation ever: all four will add more years into their lifespan. Tre will probably fart somewhere. :toocool:

Drop one album in the style of Nimrod and ill cry with Joy.... Also a full UK tour would top it all off

• 3 weeks later...

are you serious? They arent even in their mid-forties yet and you suggest they should become a rotten nostalgia act for ex-youngsters. I would rather see them retiring than doing that,

Make the best album of the year, and make tour for everywhere!! xx :)

I believe :D

Make the best album of the year, and make tour for everywhere!! xx :)

I believe :D

That's the spirit! Why not :D

If the trilogy is any indicator to the sort of stuff they'd produce, I'd rather they stopped writing new music and just do a few massive tours before retiring.

If the trilogy is any indicator to the sort of stuff they'd produce, I'd rather they stopped writing new music and just do a few massive tours before retiring.

Again, this is the same shit people said after Warning. If Green Day stopped then because they put out an album most of their fans didn't like as much as their other stuff, we'd never have gotten American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown. It saddens me how quickly people are ready to write them off.

Again, this is the same shit people said after Warning. If Green Day stopped then because they put out an album most of their fans didn't like as much as their other stuff, we'd never have gotten American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown. It saddens me how quickly people are ready to write them off.

I agree wholeheartedly, although I understand the reticence from folks who are scared because Green Day is certainly at that typical mid-life-band-crisis where VERY few bands, even the exceptional hall-of-fame ones, manage to stay relevant.

To be fair, I'd argue that almost no bands have ever truly stayed 'relevant' but the big deciding factor is "Does the general population know that the band is still doing stuff?" If so, you're in a good place. Springsteen. U2. Bon Jovi. People assume these artists are still around. No one says, "Wait, U2 is still a band?" Even though none of those people could name a recent U2 song, they don't question the constant presence of the band. If Green Day manages to secure their PRESENCE as a legacy, and never have a hit song again, that'd be just as cool and almost a more difficult task.

I agree wholeheartedly, although I understand the reticence from folks who are scared because Green Day is certainly at that typical mid-life-band-crisis where VERY few bands, even the exceptional hall-of-fame ones, manage to stay relevant.

To be fair, I'd argue that almost no bands have ever truly stayed 'relevant' but the big deciding factor is "Does the general population know that the band is still doing stuff?" If so, you're in a good place. Springsteen. U2. Bon Jovi. People assume these artists are still around. No one says, "Wait, U2 is still a band?" Even though none of those people could name a recent U2 song, they don't question the constant presence of the band. If Green Day manages to secure their PRESENCE as a legacy, and never have a hit song again, that'd be just as cool and almost a more difficult task.

Just on the Springsteen thing, it's arguable that he's in the form of his life, and the albums that he's released over the past 15 years have been his best stuff by far. He's pretty much the only mainstream artist that that is still consistently putting out good music at that age. He's not coasting on his legacy by any means.

Also, I thought U2 had broken up after that song about putting on shoes or something completely flopped.

Fuck Green Day I want new Blink182 album.

NO NO NO!!!! :mad:

Green Day should go back to being The Network and record Omega 3000. That would be the best comeback ever. :ga:

• 2 weeks later...

Green Day should just do what they want..!!... the thing they do, is just great,, the MAIN part is that they should Enjoy doing that stuff... ( AS THEY ALWAYS DO ENJOY!!!)

Although I do agree with the sentiment behind Jaded's post, I do also agree with your post. There are some similarities between Green Day now, and Green Day of 2003 and as you said, we all know what happened in the following years there. Maybe I'm unnecessarily pessimistic, but I just can't see them pulling out an album with AI-levels of popularity and success. As Ceadog says, an album of Nimrod-levels of quality and success is certainly achievable and I think that is what is required for them to be relevant again. Here's hoping though - I would love for them to have another AI-like album and I'll probably listen to whatever they put out any way.

The difference between that period and now is that Green Day are older and considered 'veterans' and Rock music is basically dead in commercial success. So IMO the Warning/American Idiot argument wouldn't stand up well in this case.

Archived