Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
The results of the Bobo Awards are now available here! Didn't get to vote? Go support our boys by voting for them here. I know we can beat Paramore this time.

Photo

[Opinion] What's next for Green Day?

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

Eternity Ragnarok

Eternity Ragnarok
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2013
  • 115 rep
  • Location:It may be my Ragnarok but it is not for eternity...

Not going to speculate other than to say no matter what I say it may be proven wrong.

JOE THE X-KID

JOE THE X-KID
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2013
  • 1,442 rep

For their next record, I'll be happy with whatever they decide to do. What I'd like to see though, is this- they build on what they were doing on TRE, and do what Billie said he wanted to do, make it a concept album and record it live in a room together. I think that would be super rad.

this. But whatever they decide to do, the wait is gonna be painful
  • blueshadows likes this

dolce_amore93

dolce_amore93
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Joined Dec 05, 2010
  • 1,248 rep

This isn't really me guessing what there gonna do but more hoping or what I would like to see next but I'm hoping for a dark green day a green day were it's familier but yet you go "wait that's green day?!?" When I say dark I mean songs like:

Viva la Gloria (little girl)
Restless heart syndrome (especially the ending)
Before the lobotomy (also mainly the heavy ending)
Lazy bones
And blood sex and booze

Anyone else agree?

Nothing would make me happier than if they made an album like this. That would be amazing. I LOVE their darker stuff, and these songs are all top Green Day favorites for me.

Considering the past few years they've had, I don't think "dark" would be out of the question. 

As for the popularity debate - You know what? They've had two peaks in their career, which is more than most, so I can't see why they couldn't do it one more time. It doesn't really matter to me whether they have mainstream popularity or not, but they are one of the only lasting, relevant rock bands we have left who have mass appeal. They have unbelievable staying power and people of all generations appreciate them. Mostly, their continued popularity will depend on what the state of music is like when they release their next album. Right now rock is certainly not the most popular in the way it was when Dookie & AI came out. But that could change in a few years. The music industry is constantly changing. 

I'd also like to add that whatever they do next, I think it will be done very quietly and without much promotion. Between Billie talking about how stressed he felt about all of the Trilogy promotional touring and his remark about his album with Norah Jones about how nice it was to release an album and not tell anyone, I'm really thinking that Green Day will take that approach in the future. It seems like more and more artists have been doing this recently and it seems like a good way to handle album releases. 

• kiarakoval likes this

Z J

Z J
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2013
  • 1,435 rep

There is literally one billion different directions they could go in. There are a few scenarios that I could see as possible. 

1. If we want to look at their history, this period here has many similarities to the Warning period. They took a hit commercially with the trilogy, they have been written off by the mainstream. Critics/reviewers essentially consider them done making anything decent/relevant. So if we think history repeats itself, then perhaps they look to make a statement. Now, I'm not suggesting we see another political rock opera but what this scenario could entail would be more about the promotion/image then the music almost. The music would probably be radio friendly and more similar to AI in production than the trilogy. Ballads would be abundant.

2. Nimrod/Warning style experimentation. This seems the odds on favorite. Not much promotion or hooplah, but a decent sized album with some weird (probably retro) stuff that we haven't really heard from GD before.

3. They dip their toes in the hard rock genre. Only reason I say this is because this is where it seems many alt/punk bands go. The genres are close anyway. This may just be GD's general style with more focus on harder guitars and drums. With it an increase in the technicality of their instrumentation. 

• Matt., Hermione, Not Anyone. and 1 other like this

VidKid

VidKid
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Joined Apr 11, 2014
  • 54 rep

I don't think there's not going to be much as far as in the short term.  I'm really hoping that Foxboro Hot Tubs makes a couple more appearances.

Otherwise, I'm guessing in a couple of years they'll bring out another album and do another tour.  Y'know, the rather usual stuff.

Lil B The Based God

Lil B The Based God
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 1,447 rep

Retirement - Lil B

• ­­rootbeersoup likes this

Matt.

Matt.
  • Pump Ass

• 5,748 posts
  • Joined Oct 17, 2006
  • 3,609 rep

There is literally one billion different directions they could go in. There are a few scenarios that I could see as possible. 

I like all three of your ideas/scenarios. I would like to see your option #1, but wouldn't mind #2 or #3

Eternity Ragnarok

Eternity Ragnarok
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2013
  • 115 rep
  • Location:It may be my Ragnarok but it is not for eternity...

I hope that Green Day does not retire.  I hope that they get the much needed hiatus they deserve and that they come back together stronger than ever.  I want to see them persevere and become the band they are meant to be instead of the band they were.  Even what happened at iHeart carried important messages to millions of people.   This should not be an ending... it should be a beginning.   

What happened to the person looking forward to life and enjoying it, and who is this new person who frowns at the world as it behaves inappropriately... there is a definite progression even if "there is no progress",  things change no matter what is done to try to stop it, yet at the same time... isn't the cycle of war and chaos a bit "redundant"?     Green Day has given us a lot to think about, and I hope they do not stop.

• Clockwise likes this

disappearing_boy_39

disappearing_boy_39
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Joined May 10, 2009
  • 39 rep

Green Day worked really hard on the trilogy (watch Cuatro). They were operating on "all cylinders" and created music that touched on all aspects of their career. It featured fun songs, catchy pop-punk songs, personal songs and even political songs. I enjoyed it a lot but it seems that some people were expecting something different. It just shows that you can't please everyone.

I'm guessing it will take some time for Green Day to feel the same sense of excitement that they felt going into the trilogy. I'm thinking that they will focus on the American Idiot movie, a second greatest hits compilation, and (hopefully) Dookie/American Idiot reissues. I also think that the members may focus on some other projects, like Billie did with Norah Jones. Whatever they do, I'm always ready and eager to hear.

• Hermione, converse_punk14 and luv like this

Pat1308

Pat1308
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Joined Mar 12, 2014
  • 374 rep

The safest speculation ever: all four will add more years into their lifespan. Tre will probably fart somewhere.  :toocool:

2Dollar_Luke

2Dollar_Luke
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2014
  • 4 rep

Drop one album in the style of Nimrod and ill cry with Joy.... Also a full UK tour would top it all off 

• Clockwise likes this

T.C

T.C
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Joined May 25, 2014
  • 19 rep

Albums are good but i would be more than happy if they decided to just tour from now on

Sauli

Sauli
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 1,222 rep

are you serious? They arent even in their mid-forties yet and you suggest they should become a rotten nostalgia act for ex-youngsters. I would rather see them retiring than doing that,

Edited by Nowhereman, 25 May 2014 - 07:25 AM.

GugsGreenDay

GugsGreenDay
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2014
  • 72 rep

Make the best album of the year, and make tour for everywhere!! xx :)

I believe :D

• Hermione and Ham Sascale like this

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,416 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,069 rep

Make the best album of the year, and make tour for everywhere!! xx :)
I believe :D

That's the spirit! Why not :D
  • Fuzz and GugsGreenDay like this

Advertising

Jaded in Chicago

Jaded in Chicago
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2014
  • 22 rep

If the trilogy is any indicator to the sort of stuff they'd produce, I'd rather they stopped writing new music and just do a few massive tours before retiring. 

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,622 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 15,928 rep

If the trilogy is any indicator to the sort of stuff they'd produce, I'd rather they stopped writing new music and just do a few massive tours before retiring. 

Again, this is the same shit people said after Warning. If Green Day stopped then because they put out an album most of their fans didn't like as much as their other stuff, we'd never have gotten American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown. It saddens me how quickly people are ready to write them off.

• Hermione, Cruise and JOE THE X-KID like this

Heather.

Heather.
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2011
  • 6,734 rep

Again, this is the same shit people said after Warning. If Green Day stopped then because they put out an album most of their fans didn't like as much as their other stuff, we'd never have gotten American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown. It saddens me how quickly people are ready to write them off.

I agree wholeheartedly, although I understand the reticence from folks who are scared because Green Day is certainly at that typical mid-life-band-crisis where VERY few bands, even the exceptional hall-of-fame ones, manage to stay relevant.  

To be fair, I'd argue that almost no bands have ever truly stayed 'relevant' but the big deciding factor is "Does the general population know that the band is still doing stuff?" If so, you're in a good place.  Springsteen. U2. Bon Jovi. People assume these artists are still around. No one says, "Wait, U2 is still a band?" Even though none of those people could name a recent U2 song, they don't question the constant presence of the band.  If Green Day manages to secure their PRESENCE as a legacy, and never have a hit song again, that'd be just as cool and almost a more difficult task.

• Shondells likes this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,425 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,712 rep

I agree wholeheartedly, although I understand the reticence from folks who are scared because Green Day is certainly at that typical mid-life-band-crisis where VERY few bands, even the exceptional hall-of-fame ones, manage to stay relevant.  

To be fair, I'd argue that almost no bands have ever truly stayed 'relevant' but the big deciding factor is "Does the general population know that the band is still doing stuff?" If so, you're in a good place.  Springsteen. U2. Bon Jovi. People assume these artists are still around. No one says, "Wait, U2 is still a band?" Even though none of those people could name a recent U2 song, they don't question the constant presence of the band.  If Green Day manages to secure their PRESENCE as a legacy, and never have a hit song again, that'd be just as cool and almost a more difficult task.

Just on the Springsteen thing, it's arguable that he's in the form of his life, and the albums that he's released over the past 15 years have been his best stuff by far. He's pretty much the only mainstream artist that that is still consistently putting out good music at that age. He's not coasting on his legacy by any means.

Also, I thought U2 had broken up after that song about putting on shoes or something completely flopped.

• Velocity, Heather., luv and 1 other like this

Tightwad Hill

Tightwad Hill
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2014
  • 33 rep

Fuck Green Day I want new Blink182 album.

NO NO NO!!!! :mad:

Green Day should go back to being The Network and record Omega 3000. That would be the best comeback ever.  :ga:

Edited by Tightwad Hill, 29 May 2014 - 10:03 AM.

Akshat Jain

Akshat Jain
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Joined Jun 04, 2014
  • 207 rep

Green Day should just do what they want..!!... the thing they do, is just great,, the MAIN part is that they should Enjoy doing that stuff... ( AS THEY ALWAYS DO ENJOY!!!)

• ­­rootbeersoup and Hermione like this

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • Dissappearingness Nickness

• 16,045 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,548 rep

Although I do agree with the sentiment behind Jaded's post, I do also agree with your post. There are some similarities between Green Day now, and Green Day of 2003 and as you said, we all know what happened in the following years there. Maybe I'm unnecessarily pessimistic, but I just can't see them pulling out an album with AI-levels of popularity and success. As Ceadog says, an album of Nimrod-levels of quality and success is certainly achievable and I think that is what is required for them to be relevant again. Here's hoping though - I would love for them to have another AI-like album and I'll probably listen to whatever they put out any way.

T.C

T.C
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Joined May 25, 2014
  • 19 rep
The difference between that period and now is that Green Day are older and considered 'veterans' and Rock music is basically dead in commercial success. So IMO the Warning/American Idiot argument wouldn't stand up well in this case.

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,622 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 15,928 rep

The difference between that period and now is that Green Day are older and considered 'veterans' and Rock music is basically dead in commercial success. So IMO the Warning/American Idiot argument wouldn't stand up well in this case.

American idiot was their 7th album. People weren't anxiously waiting for their next release.

Although I do agree with the sentiment behind Jaded's post, I do also agree with your post. There are some similarities between Green Day now, and Green Day of 2003 and as you said, we all know what happened in the following years there. Maybe I'm unnecessarily pessimistic, but I just can't see them pulling out an album with AI-levels of popularity and success. As Ceadog says, an album of Nimrod-levels of quality and success is certainly achievable and I think that is what is required for them to be relevant again. Here's hoping though - I would love for them to have another AI-like album and I'll probably listen to whatever they put out any way.

The biggest thing that has changed is that rock music itself isn't as big as it was back then. I don't know if they could ever replicate American Idiot, but that's not to say they couldn't make a big splash. American Idiot didn't outsell Dookie, but it was still a big deal. I think it's entirely possible for them to have something more successful than 21st Century Breakdown and it would still be pretty significant. 

• The Disappearing Boy likes this

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• 15,813 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,463 rep

I think sales in this discussion is a relatively unimportant statistic for gauging importance. Dookie has sold more than AI because it's been out for years longer, and was released at the height of that genre's popularity. But AI was much more of a game-changer, and, I'd argue, a better album than Dookie.

• In Your Coffee Maker likes this

In Your Coffee Maker

In Your Coffee Maker
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined Mar 02, 2013
  • 16 rep

I think that what they will do is take an extended hiatus of a few years and let the whole Trilogy bashing thing die down completely, and actually let people forget about Green Day. They'll take the time to spend with their families, Mike will see Brittany through her cancer and then they'll re-group. Then a few years down the road, they'll drop subtle hints about something new and different, and generate excitement until they release another fantastic multi-million selling concept album and tour the world for the following year. and then repeat. 

Edited by In Your Coffee Maker, 09 June 2014 - 11:00 AM.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,425 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,712 rep

I've pointed this out more than a few times now, but rock music is pretty much only dead in America. Bands like Arctic Monkeys, Biffy Clyro, and Avenged Sevenfold have all scored number one albums in Britain in the past few years, and relatively small American bands like Flogging Molly and The Dropkick Murphys are hugely popular and are headlining festivals in Eastern Europe. Three bands, Paramore, QOTSA, and Blink are headlining Reading and Leeds this year.

America = // = the world.

• Sauli likes this

JOE THE X-KID

JOE THE X-KID
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2013
  • 1,442 rep

I hope their next album has production similar to that on the 99 Revolutions demo, with fatter bass.

• Not Anyone. likes this

T.C

T.C
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Joined May 25, 2014
  • 19 rep

I've pointed this out more than a few times now, but rock music is pretty much only dead in America. Bands like Arctic Monkeys, Biffy Clyro, and Avenged Sevenfold have all scored number one albums in Britain in the past few years, and relatively small American bands like Flogging Molly and The Dropkick Murphys are hugely popular and are headlining festivals in Eastern Europe. Three bands, Paramore, QOTSA, and Blink are headlining Reading and Leeds this year.

America = // = the world.

America is the biggest music market (by a long shot too). Without the support of it an artists sales won't look too good, especially nowadays in piracy.

revenue_bycountry.gif

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,425 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,712 rep

America is the biggest music market (by a long shot too). Without the support of it an artists sales won't look too good, especially nowadays in piracy.

http://tsort.info/picture/revenue_bycoun...

Only problem is that diagram is over 10 years old, and quite irrelevant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users