Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

[Opinion] What's next for Green Day?

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Fuckity Bye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,091 rep

I expect they'll do a cover of "Let it Go," skyrocket back to relevancy, and spend the rest of their career Green Day-ifying the popular music of the day.

• Neon Light and Darth Praxus like this

Purple Haze

Purple Haze
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined Jan 31, 2014
  • 78 rep

I think their next record will have more personal, darker themes and lyrics. I think they'll take a few years to do that, but they might revert back to FBHT or The Network at some point, or do R&R Hall of Fame. After the next Green Day record though, I don't see much for them. I expect they'll maybe just call it quits after that.

DookieLukie

DookieLukie
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts
  • Joined Sep 28, 2012
  • 1,054 rep

Yeah...none of those results are relevant. 

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,449 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,747 rep

Still, call it optimistic but I'm hoping for a Springsteen-esque transition into graceful old age.

So they're gonna release absolute crap for the next 20 years before putting out anything good? :P

• inthehallwaynow likes this

ifmemoryserves

ifmemoryserves
  • 24,225 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2006
  • 1,842 rep

I think whatever album they release next it will be the last big thing for Green Day. And if it's bad than the trilogy was the last big thing. Do you guys really believe that they can have such a massive success like they did with dookie or AI  again? They are not getting younger, you know. And teenagers today are literally listening to shit. So unless Green Day release a dubstep-rap-edm-core something  they are not getting on mainstream tv/radio/etc. And I think nobody wants that. I don't think they'll retire or fall apart though. They'll still be writing and releasing stuff. Like Rolling Stones. That old fuckers still make albums. But who listens to them?

i don't exactly disagree with you but i kind of just want to play devil's advocate and point out that after the success of dookie i'm pretty sure no one thought they would ever have such a big success again, and they obviously did with american idiot. and no, not all teenagers today are listening to "shit." there have been a lot more rock-type songs that have been getting pretty high on the billboard hot 100 recently. not exactly green day's style, but certainly not all of it is "step-rap-dem-core." paramore's ain't it fun was number 7 on itunes yesterday. before anyone tries to murder me, i'm not trying to compare paramore and green day, but i'm just saying that mainstream success isn't impossible for rock bands nowadays.

Matt.

Matt.
  • Pump Ass

• 5,750 posts
  • Joined Oct 17, 2006
  • 3,610 rep

They need to take their time and let the music come to them. Need another quality LP from them.

I agree. I like when the band is in the public spotlight and doing well commercially. A quality album (dare I say like AI) will really help that and put the band back on the map.

Idlewild.

Idlewild.
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,088 posts
  • Joined Mar 13, 2011
  • 934 rep

Maybe they'll actually put more effort than "Take pills. Get drunk. Write song in 5 minutes. Retain lukewarm popularity by pulling publicity stunts that make us look completely retarded." into their music.

Some great, serious responses so far. Thanks.

top kek

Avox

Avox
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Joined Jan 25, 2014
  • 131 rep

Maybe they'll actually put more effort than "Take pills. Get drunk. Write song in 5 minutes. Retain lukewarm popularity by pulling publicity stunts that make us look completely retarded." into their music.

top kek

Publicity stunts? Seriously? 

• Laetitia likes this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,449 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,747 rep

No one took that "FUCK YOU JUSTIN BIEBER" shit seriously anyway. Everyone knows that Adrienne is a massive Belieber. Next time he should go after someone who actually deserves hate, like Pitbull, or Nickleback, or Ricky Gervais.

• Lady Nightlife likes this

Backyard Skulls

Backyard Skulls
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,297 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2009
  • 1,075 rep
I don't really care what the next album is like I just want them to tour again, change up their live show a bit and play deeper cuts.

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Fuckity Bye

• 12,286 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,091 rep

POPULAR

Honestly if Green Day only ever toured every couple of years and never made another album, I wouldn't complain.

• Tubbie Head, kripack, Makingyourmascarableed and 3 others like this

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 15,803 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 16,645 rep

Yeah...none of those results are relevant. 

Apart from the very first one.

• Lady Nightlife likes this

Idlewild.

Idlewild.
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,088 posts
  • Joined Mar 13, 2011
  • 934 rep

Pretty much yes.

TommyGun

TommyGun
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2013
  • 64 rep

I'd like a tour or a new album, maybe both but i would appreciate a tour more :)

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 4,089 rep

At the moment, I have a feeling they're working a project of some sort to commemorate American Idiot's 10th anniversary. This could possibly involve releasing Heart Like a Handgrenade to the general public, a broadway revival of the production, a collection of demos from the creation of the album, or another documentary of some sort. I very much doubt that they'll do absolutely nothing. Touring would be last on my list of speculations but I wouldn't disregard the possibility of a few local shows to accompany the overall project.

As for albums? I'm not sure they'll release something "serious" again. They'll probably split to work on fun, self-satisfying solo projects (see Forevely) because I don't think at this point in their career they feel obligated to release new records to stay relevant to the masses. They've passed that now, and are onto the relaxed, retirement stage. If one day they feel like they need to say something to the world, then they most certainly will, but for now, I doubt they have any desire to work on something as structured as a full, Green Day studio album (with promotion, a tour, videos, singles, etc). They've got the chance to finally enjoy their success without feeling the need to top it. :)

• Disapperingirl, converse_punk14 and Lady Nightlife like this

Advertising

!

!
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Joined Aug 03, 2012
  • 379 rep

I want them to get heavier in the sense of Platypus / Take Back type material. I hope their next album is like Nimrod in general. They can do all that experimentally junk they want, but give us something close to what made us like them in the first place. If Tre is the new direction they're going in, I'll be disappointed.

• Neon Light likes this

wasteaway420

wasteaway420
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Joined Dec 03, 2012
  • 9 rep

No one took that "FUCK YOU JUSTIN BIEBER" shit seriously anyway. Everyone knows that Adrienne is a massive Belieber. Next time he should go after someone who actually deserves hate, like Pitbull, or Nickleback, or Ricky Gervais.

Well ever since Billie said that.. Justin bieber has been on meltdown mode since haha

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,517 rep

Pretty much yes.

Yes Billie being a drunk/druggie/whatever you want to call it was ALL for a publicity stunt...

DookieLukie

DookieLukie
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,104 posts
  • Joined Sep 28, 2012
  • 1,054 rep

R and r sports shop?

Avox

Avox
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Joined Jan 25, 2014
  • 131 rep

Pretty much yes.

Well, whatever floats your boat. :eyebrows:

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 4,089 rep

POPULAR

I think they would end up like The Ramones. As the times goes they getting more shit.

I hate how after one bad release, a band's entire discography is put into question. Dookie was super successful, and arguably, one of the best albums of the decade. Then came the decline, which was interrupted by American Idiot, arguably one of the best albums of that decade. One poor selling, fan base dividing release that didn't really touch the general public is just repeating the pattern. 

• Fuzz, Florence, Disapperingirl and 5 others like this

inthehallwaynow

inthehallwaynow
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,992 posts
  • Joined Sep 22, 2012
  • 5,539 rep

Billie will heat up a can of spaghetti o's for mike and tre on their birthdays and all will be goood

Tubbie Head

Tubbie Head
  • teh biggest Blue Night fan

• 12,578 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2008
  • 2,959 rep

I really want the next album to be super popular, so, their publicity needs to be spot on, and this hasn't happened in years... But I can only hope!

• ¡Felipe! and converse_punk14 like this

LPbilliejr

LPbilliejr
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Joined Feb 16, 2013
  • 67 rep

POPULAR

There's So Much SHIT in this thread its unbelievable.

No Comment

I await the return of GD

• Matt., Neon Light, stan the harmonica man and 2 others like this

the devil in my heart

the devil in my heart
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Joined Nov 15, 2012
  • 3 rep

New FBHT album, little tour, GD album, world tour, live album and Billie Joe album :D

• DirtyRottenForgotten likes this

Cath

Cath
  • stick it to the man

• 6,766 posts
  • Joined Nov 24, 2012
  • 4,069 rep

i'd like something AI related, maybe heart like an hand grenade and few shows since we had nothing for dookie's 20th birthday (unless full dookie live).
a live DVD for the trilogy could happen too but i don't see any new album soon.

Four words:

Greatest Hits, Vol. 2

american idiot is pretty much greatest hits 2 though

• Not Anyone. likes this

The Grouch is Tracy

The Grouch is Tracy
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Joined Apr 12, 2013
  • 629 rep

OAP Bus passes, Prostate exams and more masterbation.

Sandwiches too.

Billie will heat up a can of spaghetti o's for mike and tre on their birthdays and all will be goood

And a glass of milk.

Idlewild.

Idlewild.
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,088 posts
  • Joined Mar 13, 2011
  • 934 rep

Yes Billie being a drunk/druggie/whatever you want to call it was ALL for a publicity stunt...

I didn't say that Billie having and acknowledging that he had an alcohol problem was a publicity stunt.

I also didn't say that not doing anything at all to help himself for over 15 years, despite knowing the entire time that he had a problem, was a publicity stunt. That's just plain stupidity.

I was just implying that going around and acting like a total douche so people will notice you because your band isn't as popular as it used to be is most certainly a publicity stunt.

Zack.

Zack.
  • #NOIDED

• 3,967 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2010
  • 1,922 rep

Don't post such delete-worth stuff then.

Everyone makes mistkaes.

It is a bit though, isn't it?

Not really. It's a concept album, but that's quite a few steps short of a rock opera.

Everyone's first page of Google is different depending on their web history and even then there's no context to figure out which is the right meaning.

Telling people to Google stuff is for questions like "when did Dookie come out", not for acronyms that can mean a billion things.

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• 6,411 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,517 rep

I was just implying that going around and acting like a total douche so people will notice you because your band isn't as popular as it used to be is most certainly a publicity stunt.

The only event I can recall where Billie acting like a douche was the Iheart event and he was drunk off his ass... (But then again people do usually show their true side while being drunk so) but I don't think the Iheart was a publicity stunt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users