Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

[Opinion] What's next for Green Day?

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

Afflejack

Afflejack
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined Sep 12, 2009
  • 110 rep

Whatever they may do, I hope for a Pop Disaster part 2 with Blink 182 again and whoever else. 

James!

James!
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2012
  • 153 rep
I want them to play on letterman before he retires I don't care if they don't do anythimg else they have to do that.

CRAZY TRÈ MOMEMT
  • Fuzz and Mar like this

Jollyroger118

Jollyroger118
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Joined Jun 26, 2013
  • 203 rep

Album in mid 2015. 

Not sure what style they'll go for, but will be a huge step up lyrically, especially compared to the trilogy.

Interested to see what Billie has been writing about, he must have been writing when he went to rehab.

Holy shit that drives me crazy. He was in outpatient rehab for a month. He spent it at HOME. I absolutely feel that whole time period will have inspired some great writing or ideas but it irks me when people say that like he was gone for a year or something. However I totally admire and support Billie getting sober and all, it ain't easy especially being a rock star and having lived his whole adult life that way. More than anything that very concept should inspire a shit ton of good writing cause that must be incredibly hard.

ThranaM

ThranaM
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • Joined Nov 10, 2012
  • 638 rep

I really want them to make a live DVD or CD. They did it for the last two tours, so why not now?

Also I would love a new rock opera album. But I have no idea what to expect from them, I don't think they will be doing anything special.

Maybe a club show or something at most

• naliuj likes this

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,412 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,519 rep

Holy shit that drives me crazy. He was in outpatient rehab for a month. He spent it at HOME. I absolutely feel that whole time period will have inspired some great writing or ideas but it irks me when people say that like he was gone for a year or something. However I totally admire and support Billie getting sober and all, it ain't easy especially being a rock star and having lived his whole adult life that way. More than anything that very concept should inspire a shit ton of good writing cause that must be incredibly hard.

In sure that month was like a year for Billie

I have some friends who has in home and in rehab places and they say the in home was worst (of course everyone is different)

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep

I'd imagine the trilogy was kind of...

Jesus shitting on the supper table, I am not reading that. You know how you stop and breathe in the middle of saying things? A paragraph break is the written form of that. Please learn to use the enter key when typing, and I'll consider reading your thoughts.

[Edit:] Ignore this and give us a delete button. Seriously. Stop making me send my deletes through a middle man. I know there's a delete button on the other end of this exchange, I just want it closer. That's all. thnx4listnin

#modlaw

Also I would love a new rock opera album.

Please no. They did it exceptionally well with AI, then did it exceptionally shittily with 21CB. I think they've about done the concept to death, and if they drop another 21CB, I just might burn whatever Green Day stuff I have left.

Zack.

Zack.
  • #NOIDED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2010
  • 1,922 rep

then did it exceptionally shittily with 21CB

funny considering 21CBD isn't a rock opera

Of Rage and Love

Of Rage and Love
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Joined Jun 25, 2010
  • 79 rep

I think that by next year we will hear mumblings of how Green Day is in the studio and will start seeing some instagram videos of them in the studio. I see the album being a bit more of the traditional Green Day (AI) sound but I don't think it will be as formal as say 21CB. I think with Billie having some serious themes and topics to write about the the songs will have more meaningful content in lyrics than the Trilogy.

• Disapperingirl likes this

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,667 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,458 rep

I hope they take it easy for a while. Won't be good for GDA/GDC but all the pressure GD have put themselves under in the past has been part of their drive to be successful and constantly up there with the biggest bands of the age. It's admirable that they put so much effort into their work but it can't last if they want to.

Take a year or two out, write some good music, and hopefully Billie learns that he does not have to publish every single song he's ever written. 21stCB and the Trilogy had way too much filler. American Idiot and Dookie were both shortish albums, containing only the songs that it needed.

I would love to hear them evolve their sound too, not because I don't like it currently, just because I'm sick of people judging me for proudly listening to Green Day.

[Edit:] Ignore this and give us a delete button. Seriously. Stop making me send my deletes through a middle man. I know there's a delete button on the other end of this exchange, I just want it closer. That's all. thnx4listnin

Don't post such delete-worth stuff then.

• Matt. likes this

Billie Hoe is my hero

Billie Hoe is my hero
  • ♥ Jimmy Sullivan ♥

• 19,040 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2005
  • 974 rep

I hoping for a new album in not so long, maybe next year sometime? :) After the trilogy I'm not sure what kind of album they'll make. Honestly, I just want them to tour again. 

• JellyTime likes this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,449 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,749 rep

I see the album being a bit more of the traditional Green Day (AI) sound

Not sure how AI can be classed as Green Day's traditional sound when it's very much a one off. Dookie/Nimrod is probably closer to a "traditional" Green Day sound.

• Maicon Cassio and Darth Praxus like this

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,722 rep

funny considering 21CBD isn't a rock opera

It is a bit though, isn't it?

Steven Seagull

Steven Seagull
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,320 posts
  • Joined Dec 02, 2012
  • 1,562 rep

Fuck Green Day I want new Blink182 album.

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • Dissappearingness Nickness

• 16,075 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,582 rep

I would expect to see an album next year or the year after. So long as it's better than the trilogy, I'll probably be happy.

What are you doing posting in a Green Day section? :P

• Comrade likes this

JellyTime

JellyTime
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined Oct 24, 2011
  • 707 rep

I'd like to say "tour", but it's probably impossible before new album release. So... I think we shouldn't expect anything this year, although anniversary of Dookie and American Idiot is great opportunity to make something special like tour, live DVD etc. I hope 2015 will be better :)

• converse_punk14 likes this

Advertising

kripack

kripack
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2009
  • 189 rep

I think whatever album they release next it will be the last big thing for Green Day. And if it's bad than the trilogy was the last big thing. Do you guys really believe that they can have such a massive success like they did with dookie or AI  again? They are not getting younger, you know. And teenagers today are literally listening to shit. So unless Green Day release a dubstep-rap-edm-core something  they are not getting on mainstream tv/radio/etc. And I think nobody wants that. I don't think they'll retire or fall apart though. They'll still be writing and releasing stuff. Like Rolling Stones. That old fuckers still make albums. But who listens to them?

Alan86

Alan86
  • It's Ok, Im a Limo Driver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 posts
  • Joined Nov 16, 2005
  • 1,975 rep
OAP Bus passes, Prostate exams and more masterbation.
  • kripack and Céadóg like this

Bastard of 1969

Bastard of 1969
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,248 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012
  • 983 rep
  • Location:Somewhere over the country with financial problems and not so smart politicians

Billie Joe is going into norwegian black metal, so he's probably gonna release an album with Lordi, Gorgoroth or someone.

Or, he's gonna continue playing in front of Walmart's for beef or raw ham.

Tre is meanwhile going to make an rock-country opera about his lost nut.

And Mike? We don't know. Probably gonna play with Emily's Army and saying fuck my life all over and over again.

• Tre's Busted Drumkit likes this

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,667 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,458 rep

I think whatever album they release next it will be the last big thing for Green Day. And if it's bad than the trilogy was the last big thing. Do you guys really believe that they can have such a massive success like they did with dookie or AI  again? They are not getting younger, you know. And teenagers today are literally listening to shit. So unless Green Day release a dubstep-rap-edm-core something  they are not getting on mainstream tv/radio/etc. And I think nobody wants that. I don't think they'll retire or fall apart though. They'll still be writing and releasing stuff. Like Rolling Stones. That old fuckers still make albums. But who listens to them?

U2, Metallica and Bruce Springsteen have all been around forever and are still pretty relevant. It's not impossible to have a long and successful career, they don't have to fade away into memory.

• NickD and Laetitia like this

Oxymore

Oxymore
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,673 posts
  • Joined Sep 17, 2013
  • 2,609 rep

I thought it was another old thread that someone had just updated..

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 18,245 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 5,045 rep

I'm worried we're in for a long hiatus. I think they'll make the occasional one-off appearance (praying for the HoF induction so I can try to go, since it'll be close to home), but in terms of a major tour and an album, I think it'll be at least two years. I have no reason to say that other than my own cynicism (and thoughts about how they may want to regroup post-Trilogy and post-rehab), though :lol:

Billie Hoe is my hero

Billie Hoe is my hero
  • ♥ Jimmy Sullivan ♥

• 19,040 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2005
  • 974 rep

Billie Joe is going into norwegian black metal, so he's probably gonna release an album with Lordi, Gorgoroth or someone.

At least then he should play a lot of shows here. :lol: 

Demon!Dean

Demon!Dean
  • RIP DEMON DEAN. '78-14.

• 8,684 posts
  • Joined Dec 06, 2011
  • 1,851 rep

As long as it's not like the trilogy, Idc what they make or when it gets released.

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée/Savior of Lives/Arse Doctor

• 15,988 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,015 rep
Kind of feel like the band is tapped. Maybe a new bathroom related side project. Names could be The Jazz Toilet or The Telephone pole.

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,667 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,458 rep

I'm worried we're in for a long hiatus. I think they'll make the occasional one-off appearance (praying for the HoF induction so I can try to go, since it'll be close to home), but in terms of a major tour and an album, I think it'll be at least two years. I have no reason to say that other than my own cynicism (and thoughts about how they may want to regroup post-Trilogy and post-rehab), though :lol:

I wouldn't mind a long hiatus. Gives the guys time to take it easy, pursue other projects, family life etc. I'm sure they'll still play side projects and keep themselves occupied but I feel they don't need to do any mammoth GD stuff for a couple of years. Let them release another thing like Shenanigans or Demolicious and keep the fans ticking over for a while.

Kind of feel like the band is tapped. Maybe a new bathroom related side project. Names could be The Jazz Toilet or The Telephone pole.

Tapped? 

• Tubbie Head likes this

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée/Savior of Lives/Arse Doctor

• 15,988 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,015 rep

Tapped?

I don't think they are ever gonna reach the level of creativity and energy they've had in the past. I'm sad to say it, but I just can't imagine there being more superhits now. I want it, I just don't think it'll happen. Not for a while, that is. I think they need to really miss it for the inspiration to hit hard.

StiffLittleFinger

StiffLittleFinger
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Joined Oct 15, 2012
  • 268 rep

I think they would end up like The Ramones. As the times goes they getting more shit.

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,667 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,458 rep

Some of the biggest acts in history are only still well renowned because they were short lived. In some cases metaphorically, others literally. The Beatles, Janis Joplin, Nirvana etc. Imagine one of the band members had died after Insomniac? They would have been huge. Still, call it optimistic but I'm hoping for a Springsteen-esque transition into graceful old age.

• Disapperingirl likes this

Tubbie Head

Tubbie Head
  • teh biggest Blue Night fan

• 12,578 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2008
  • 2,959 rep

Something refreshing and great lyrics from Billie. 

• Hermione likes this

Maicon Cassio

Maicon Cassio
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Joined Aug 08, 2006
  • 640 rep

a boxset Dookie-AI (cd+DVD)

• Insomniac1984 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users