[Opinion] What's next for Green Day?

Sanity Loan

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, everything afterwards was a blur

Ceadog particularly loved this part because deep deep down he is a huge billie fanboy

I wasn't trying to say that they didn't care for the trilogy or weren't excited to release those albums; I was mainly speaking about the quality of the tracks themselves. I suck at explaining things so I apologize. :lol:

I wasn't trying to say that they didn't care for the trilogy or weren't excited to release those albums; I was mainly speaking about the quality of the tracks themselves. I suck at explaining things so I apologize. :lol:

Yeah I mean if you listen to albums and don't think the quality's that good it's a reasonable conclusion to draw from that info alone. But just because some people don't like the result as much as other albums it doesn't necessarily mean they weren't just as inspired/fired up etc to make them, and I think that from that documentary and the way they've talked about them and the band in general in interviews it seems like they were.

Yeah I mean if you listen to albums and don't think the quality's that good it's a reasonable conclusion to draw from that info alone. But just because some people don't like the result as much as other albums it doesn't necessarily mean they weren't just as inspired/fired up etc to make them, and I think that from that documentary and the way they've talked about them and the band in general in interviews it seems like they were.

There's also a lot more energy in Demolicious than the Trilogy, I find.

Yes, everything afterwards was a blur

Ceadog particularly loved this part because deep deep down he is a huge billie fanboy

Pretty much everything was a blur. But that was mostly down to the large amounts of alcohol I had consumed in preparation.

Pretty much everything was a blur. But that was mostly down to the large amounts of alcohol I had consumed in preparation.

Are you talking about you or billie

What you mean is "The stuff I hear on the radio is awful". And that phrase has never not been true. It has never been easier to discover new music, and there's no shortage of incredible bands making much better music than GD have been putting out in the past few years. Saying "I hate music these days, all the bands are shit" just shows that you're too lazy to actually go find the incredible bands that are only a few clicks away.

Actually, fuck it, if you want some recommendations, just PM me.

I am always finding new music that I enjoy. It's just what is popular now really disgusts me. and Rock N Roll just isn't popular anymore. Being popular isn't really important I know. It's just sort of sad. That's all. Also, sure. I would love some suggestions for bands to check out. The youngest bands I enjoy have been around over a decade now....so yeah. I am in need of some young blood. Thanks.

Let me guess...I've been closely following this band for two decades and while the future is highly uncertain right now for a variety of reasons (and more importantly, Brit and Jason- get well soon!) I would be shocked if this weren't the logical progression:

- Billie has about 50 new songs bouncing around in his head and a few dozen that he has recorded on his home studio

- Mike is devoting all his time to Brit and the family, but during his free moments he is noodling around on bass keeping his fingers limber

- Tre is basically doing the same as Mike, when he's not playing some drums with a side band or two

- Jason is, I hope and pray, doing ok and playing music when he has the time and feels up for it or needs an outlet

When they're ready, they'll be in Jingletown jamming out the old stuff and easing into some of the new material. I would guess this is in spring/ summer '15.

They'll be recording by the end of '15 and releasing in mid '16 with a tour to follow.

This is all obviously only a guess, but it seems logical to me. Billie is also so creative and musically restless it wouldn't be shocking if he released a stripped down/ just for fun solo type of experiment (acoustic, for example) somewhere along the way.

Godspeed- in good health and good time.

I reckon we might get a secret show or two towards the end of the year, possibly with some new stuff

I think they should take their time with the next album if it's something they're ambitious about. They can't survive another big flop I don't think.
If they are not ready to do another big one at this point - after all they have a lot going on individually, and the great material needs to be there as well - I think they could fill in the gap years with that "fast punk record" they've been talking about for years. That or an 'International Superhits vol. 2', isn't that a little overdue also? What I'm saying is that it should either be a big project or a casual project, no middle ground.

I don't feel qualified to make any actual guesses, it's a really weird point they're at right now. I don't think they've flopped as hard before as they did with the trilogy, and it's not like they're in their late 20's and can just brush it off. I think it was really hard on them as a band and as individuals this time around, especially Billie Joe. The Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame could be the confidence boost they need though! I'm hoping for a third Green Day golden era after all, I must admit.

I think they should take their time with the next album if it's something they're ambitious about. They can't survive another big flop I don't think.

If they are not ready to do another big one at this point - after all they have a lot going on individually, and the great material needs to be there as well - I think they could fill in the gap years with that "fast punk record" they've been talking about for years. That or an 'International Superhits vol. 2', isn't that a little overdue also?

I don't feel qualified to make any actual guesses, it's a really weird point they're at right now. I don't think they've flopped as hard before as they did with the trilogy, and it's not like they're in their late 20's and can just brush it off. I think it was really hard on them as a band this time around. The RnR HoF could be the confidence boost they need though! I'm hoping for a third Green Day golden era after all, I must admit.

What evidence of that is there though? Have they expressed any regrets or dissatisfaction with the trilogy? Have they said anything remotely negative about it, or about the band in general? I haven't heard it, only seen them play great live shows and be positive about everything to do with the band in interviews. Commercial success and critical acclaim isn't everything, it's a nice bonus of course but the most important thing is just that they make and release music they feel inspired to make and are happy with. As far as I can see all the evidence suggests that's what they did.

I still think they can be successful again. However, I think their idea of success needs to be altered. They are never going to be the biggest band in the world again. Popular music has always gone through changes. The music of the 50's was different than the music of the 60's, etc. I can't see them fitting into the world of Kesha or Taylor Swift. Plus the whole music industry has changed. It has become an industry of streaming and downloads. If they, OK, if Billie, can happy with not selling 10M records or being played on every radio station in the world they will be in a great spot. They can take their time and put out great music. Maybe something truly earth shattering again.

What evidence of that is there though? Have they expressed any regrets or dissatisfaction with the trilogy? Have they said anything remotely negative about it, or about the band in general? I haven't heard it, only seen them play great live shows and be positive about everything to do with the band in interviews. Commercial success and critical acclaim isn't everything, it's a nice bonus of course but the most important thing is just that they make and release music they feel inspired to make and are happy with. As far as I can see all the evidence suggests that's what they did.

Well, I didn't pretend to be certain - hence "I think" - but it is based on a general sense of what they've been up to and shared on social media. It seems they've really pulled the plug, and it went from one day to another. Then there's also the fact that ambition met by failure usually yields regret and/or low self esteem. They did have huge ambitions for the trilogy, I think that is pretty clear from their promotions, interviews and Quatro. Obviously they are not gonna go out and say they regret releasing something, and I don't think they regret it in that sense, but if you have worked on something for a year and made this huge deal of it, said a bunch of stuff and got people worked up about it, I think it is natural to take it as a punch to the stomach and wish you'd have done something different. Not to forget about the rehab, that obviously played its part in all of it, but what I think it did was give them a chance to "save face", as I believe they withdrew from the trilogy at the beginning of the tour. The 99 Revolutions Tour was not in promotion of the trilogy, which is what I think saved it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - this happened 15 years ago, and there's no reason for it to be any different now. Before, they released Warning, which they loved but was a commercial failure because it wasn't the same as what they were doing before to get them a massive explosion in popularity. Two years later, they released a compilation album without quite so much hype. Then, two years later, they made something great again. We're looking for a 2016 revival.

Well, I didn't pretend to be certain - hence "I think" - but it is based on a general sense of what they've been up to and shared on social media. It seems they've really pulled the plug, and it went from one day to another. Then there's also the fact that ambition met by failure usually yields regret and/or low self esteem. They did have huge ambitions for the trilogy, I think that is pretty clear from their promotions, interviews and Quatro. Obviously they are not gonna go out and say they regret releasing something, and I don't think they regret it in that sense, but if you have worked on something for a year and made this huge deal of it, said a bunch of stuff and got people worked up about it, I think it is natural to take it as a punch to the stomach and wish you'd have done something different. Not to forget about the rehab, that obviously played its part in all of it, but what I think it did was give them a chance to "save face", as I believe they withdrew from the trilogy at the beginning of the tour. The 99 Revolutions Tour was not in promotion of the trilogy, which is what I think saved it.

I agree they had big ambitions but I think that was in the creation of three albums of music itself rather than an ambition that it'd be hugely successful/make a massive impact. I'm sure they hoped it'd do as well as possible but they knew it was more spontaneous, fun, simple music so I can't imagine they were aiming for American Idiot style heights or anything. I think they just enjoyed making it, liked it, and were excited and happy for it to be out. I guess there's really no way to know how disappointed or bothered they were with how it was received since Billie's rehab meant there weren't a lot of interviews where it was discussed, but in general I think they've seemed very happy and positive when talking about the band even during times when they were going through not so positive things outside it so I can only assume any disappointment hasn't knocked them too much.

It would be great if when they did return, that the next album was huge. Like, Thriller (sold 42.4 million copies) huge. Every song released as a single, with music videos and massive world tour. Performances on tons of tv shows, secret shows, the works. (live videos, VMAs, acoustic sets, etc.) Like the trilogy would have turned out if things hadn't gotten in the way. A cuatro-esque film showing the creation on the album, a live album....heck, do another Broadway musical. Green Day brings rock n roll back to life.

It would be great if when they did return, that the next album was huge. Like, Thriller (sold 42.4 million copies) huge. Every song released as a single, with music videos and massive world tour. Performances on tons of tv shows, secret shows, the works. (live videos, VMAs, acoustic sets, etc.) Like the trilogy would have turned out if things hadn't gotten in the way. A cuatro-esque film showing the creation on the album, a live album....heck, do another Broadway musical. Green Day brings rock n roll back to life.

That sure would be awesome! Except no more musicals, please! :P Although I wish them continued success in the future, I don't care how huge or well-received their next album is as long as I love it and enjoy listening to it.

All I'm hoping for from Green Day next is a solid alabum and a solid tour. No experriments or big massive project that'll take years to arrive (cough cough 21st CB0. Just an album, and tour that isn't for Dookie or American Idiot, like the Trilogy tour in particular seemed to be. Oh and it needs to happen ASAP before Fall Out Boy take over the world with their so called "modern rock".

That sure would be awesome! Except no more musicals, please! :P Although I wish them continued success in the future, I don't care how huge or well-received their next album is as long as I love it and enjoy listening to it.

I will always listen to them no matter their success level. But I do know that Billie Joe has unashamedly stated that he wants the band to be successful, to be huge. They deserve it, to heck with all the 'selling out' talk and punk rock arguments, you know?

Oh and it needs to happen ASAP before Fall Out Boy take over the world with their so called "modern rock".

That won't happen on account of basically everyone knowing that FOB are complete arse-gravy.

Archived