[Opinion] What's next for Green Day?

Sanity Loan

The difference between that period and now is that Green Day are older and considered 'veterans' and Rock music is basically dead in commercial success. So IMO the Warning/American Idiot argument wouldn't stand up well in this case.

American idiot was their 7th album. People weren't anxiously waiting for their next release.

Although I do agree with the sentiment behind Jaded's post, I do also agree with your post. There are some similarities between Green Day now, and Green Day of 2003 and as you said, we all know what happened in the following years there. Maybe I'm unnecessarily pessimistic, but I just can't see them pulling out an album with AI-levels of popularity and success. As Ceadog says, an album of Nimrod-levels of quality and success is certainly achievable and I think that is what is required for them to be relevant again. Here's hoping though - I would love for them to have another AI-like album and I'll probably listen to whatever they put out any way.

The biggest thing that has changed is that rock music itself isn't as big as it was back then. I don't know if they could ever replicate American Idiot, but that's not to say they couldn't make a big splash. American Idiot didn't outsell Dookie, but it was still a big deal. I think it's entirely possible for them to have something more successful than 21st Century Breakdown and it would still be pretty significant.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think sales in this discussion is a relatively unimportant statistic for gauging importance. Dookie has sold more than AI because it's been out for years longer, and was released at the height of that genre's popularity. But AI was much more of a game-changer, and, I'd argue, a better album than Dookie.

I think that what they will do is take an extended hiatus of a few years and let the whole Trilogy bashing thing die down completely, and actually let people forget about Green Day. They'll take the time to spend with their families, Mike will see Brittany through her cancer and then they'll re-group. Then a few years down the road, they'll drop subtle hints about something new and different, and generate excitement until they release another fantastic multi-million selling concept album and tour the world for the following year. and then repeat.

The difference between that period and now is that Green Day are older and considered 'veterans' and Rock music is basically dead in commercial success. So IMO the Warning/American Idiot argument wouldn't stand up well in this case.

I've pointed this out more than a few times now, but rock music is pretty much only dead in America. Bands like Arctic Monkeys, Biffy Clyro, and Avenged Sevenfold have all scored number one albums in Britain in the past few years, and relatively small American bands like Flogging Molly and The Dropkick Murphys are hugely popular and are headlining festivals in Eastern Europe. Three bands, Paramore, QOTSA, and Blink are headlining Reading and Leeds this year.

America = // = the world.

I hope their next album has production similar to that on the 99 Revolutions demo, with fatter bass.

I've pointed this out more than a few times now, but rock music is pretty much only dead in America. Bands like Arctic Monkeys, Biffy Clyro, and Avenged Sevenfold have all scored number one albums in Britain in the past few years, and relatively small American bands like Flogging Molly and The Dropkick Murphys are hugely popular and are headlining festivals in Eastern Europe. Three bands, Paramore, QOTSA, and Blink are headlining Reading and Leeds this year.

America = // = the world.

America is the biggest music market (by a long shot too). Without the support of it an artists sales won't look too good, especially nowadays in piracy.

revenue_bycountry.gif

America is the biggest music market (by a long shot too). Without the support of it an artists sales won't look too good, especially nowadays in piracy.

revenue_bycountry.gif

Only problem is that diagram is over 10 years old, and quite irrelevant.

C'mon.. Green Day doesn't make music for marketing..!!... music is in their blood...

Only problem is that diagram is over 10 years old, and quite irrelevant.

Right, but America still is the biggest music market by a large margin. So my point still stands

Right, but America still is the biggest music market by a large margin. So my point still stands

I dunno, there are tons of bands that headline festivals all over Europe and can barely sell out a club show in America. I don't think they're too worried about that.

I really want a new Network album or something as ridiculously stupid the whole thing behind The Network is I really loved the fact Mike sung like majority of Money Money 2020

I really want a new Network album or something as ridiculously stupid the whole thing behind The Network is I really loved the fact Mike sung like majority of Money Money 2020

Never underestimate the power of well-placed stupidity :P

The American market is quickly dying while other markets are quickly rising to fill the void. Success used to be classed on how a product sells in the US, if it failed the product failed. Nowdays a product can hardly sell in the US but be a smash hit due to how it sells outside the US. Sure its still the biggest market (only just, in 2012 the US only just outsold Japan) but it an album just needs to be successful in a few countries and it can easily top the number of the US.

interesting point, billie really does a lot of additional projects and i can't support that, i'd rather see him working on green day stuff again but who knows what's going on there

interesting point, billie really does a lot of additional projects and i can't support that, i'd rather see him working on green day stuff again but who knows what's going on there

He's always done additional projects (Pinhead Gunpowder since 1991 and running a record label since 1997 just for starters). He doesn't do it instead of Green Day stuff, he does it in addition to Green Day stuff just like taking his dog for a walk, going on a trip etc, all the hundreds of things he does with his life. If he didn't spend some time on other creative things he'd have less inspiration and less to write about, and pretty sure if he felt like working on a Green Day song or something during the time he was working on something else he'd find the time to do it anyway. He's got by just fine fitting in plenty of extra stuff for his whole career so far, I wouldn't worry about it.

Happier music, having fun with it again.. Something refreshing. :) Positivity, organity. This is what i see. :D

C'mon.. Green Day doesn't make music for marketing..!!... music is in their blood...

Well, not 100% because it's in their blood. Marketing also takes some percentage.

Well, not 100% because it's in their blood. Marketing also takes some percentage.

but their music is much better than all those shitty loads available now a days!!

As for their main act I hate to say it but they probably will go into a "greatest hits era" what I mean by this is studio albums will come to a grinding halt. They will do small tours every now and again. I can't foresee them ever releasing a monster success again. I could be wrong and in some ways I hope I am. But this is my honest opinion. As for side projects they are at the points in their careers where they have made their money so if they truly want to do something different they'll find a way. (Indie release or whatever it may take)

At least we still get to see Billie weekly/monthly for his other projects. Other artists literally dissapear for months to years when they are on break.

but their music is much better than all those shitty loads available now a days!!

Well, yeah, but I don't see what this has to do with marketing percentage in Green Day's music.

Well, yeah, but I don't see what this has to do with marketing percentage in Green Day's music.

just look at billboard charts .. you'll get your answer

just look at billboard charts .. you'll get your answer

I don't get.

I don't get.

you cannot compare Green day's music with all that shit load- ( One Direction, Niki Minaj, Adele, Taylor swift).. and the marketing they do with their albums!!

you cannot compare Green day's music with all that shit load- ( One Direction, Niki Minaj, Adele, Taylor swift).. and the marketing they do with their albums!!

Dammit, sure they are better.

Archived