[Opinion] What's next for Green Day?

Sanity Loan

I was thinking about how it is torture for us in between Green Day albums when suddenly I realized, they really do keep up satisfied with other things during the wait. The longest stretches between albums were always filled with compilations, live albums, secret side projects or individual songs. The first two albums were really close together, and they were followed shortly by Dookie. Dookie had singles coming out until 1995, when Insomniac came out, which had singles coming out until 1996. The following year was Nimrod, which had singles coming out until freakin' 1999! Warning had singles in 2001, which was the year we got SUPERHITS!. 2002 we got Shenanigans. 2003 we got Money Money 2020, which was followed by American Idiot, 2004. 2005 had Bulllet in a Bible, 2006 - The Saints are Coming, 2007 - Working Class Hero. 2008 - The Foxboro Hot Tubs, and then 21st Century Breakdown in 2009. 2010 was the American Idiot Musical Album. 2011, Awesome as F(woo). 2012, the Trilogy. 2013, Cuarto and Billie and Norah, and 2014 Demolicious. and There's more songs, musicals, movies, albums, etc. Just wanted to point out that we have never been without at least a song for more than year. So the studio albums may be anywhere from 1 to 4 years apart, it's all good. They really are the hardest working band out there. As for what's next, I guarantee we will hear something from them. Might not be Green Day Album 12, but that song with Avicci is coming, and Billie is in a few movies.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think for their next album they should basically do a ROCK album. With heavy songs like Makeout Party (without the sexual themes), Let Yourself Go, East Jesus Nowhere, Horseshoes and Handgrenades etc. and some of their fast-paced quick songs like Jaded, Take Back or Platypus (I Hate You). Kinda like what Linkin Park did with their most recent album The Hunting Party. I know GD aren't as well known for their "screams" as LP but I'd like to see an album like that with Billie doing some screaming and Tré going crazy on the drums (a couple of tracks on The Hunting Party has crazy drumming). 

I think it would be a logical step after the trilogy which many thought to be too much pop and I'm not sure if making another rock opera would have any impact like AI and 21CB did. Going further in the direction of the trilogy sound would be a mistake, though I doubt GD would do that since they always try to do something different.

I think for their next album they should basically do a ROCK album. With heavy songs like Makeout Party (without the sexual themes), Let Yourself Go, East Jesus Nowhere, Horseshoes and Handgrenades etc. and some of their fast-paced quick songs like Jaded, Take Back or Platypus (I Hate You). Kinda like what Linkin Park did with their most recent album The Hunting Party. I know GD aren't as well known for their "screams" as LP but I'd like to see an album like that with Billie doing some screaming and Tré going crazy on the drums (a couple of tracks on The Hunting Party has crazy drumming). 

I think it would be a logical step after the trilogy which many thought to be too much pop and I'm not sure if making another rock opera would have any impact like AI and 21CB did. Going further in the direction of the trilogy sound would be a mistake, though I doubt GD would do that since they always try to do something different.

Please don't take this as malice, as this is a forum to generate discussion, however I fail to see how you can condemn the trilogy as a pop record (which I can only hope that you mean Pop-Punk like that of The Ramones, and certainly not today's pop-rock crapshoot of Imagine Dragons or X-Ambassadors) while citing songs like Makeout Party and Let Yourself Go as "heavy". Again please excuse me, "heavy" and "green day" have never been synonymous to me, but I can hardly imagine that the gritty vocals of Take Back and Horseshoes & Handgrenades would be enough to even slip them into a Hardcore-Punk classification :lol: lets face it, the CA punk scene at the time didn't like the boys because all they sang about were girls and took influence from musicians of the 1970s. 

The term "Rock" itself is so broad that it carries no meaning these days so if you could clarify what you'd rather hear using examples of different bands or genres, please do. :) 

^ :lol: usually when a new project or something is announced, i cringe and think "You know I'll be proud of whatever it is you do but please don't embarrass me in front of the general public"

I swear it's like having kids.

Please don't take this as malice, as this is a forum to generate discussion, however I fail to see how you can condemn the trilogy as a pop record (which I can only hope that you mean Pop-Punk like that of The Ramones, and certainly not today's pop-rock crapshoot of Imagine Dragons or X-Ambassadors) while citing songs like Makeout Party and Let Yourself Go as "heavy". Again please excuse me, "heavy" and "green day" have never been synonymous to me, but I can hardly imagine that the gritty vocals of Take Back and Horseshoes & Handgrenades would be enough to even slip them into a Hardcore-Punk classification :lol: lets face it, the CA punk scene at the time didn't like the boys because all they sang about were girls and took influence from musicians of the 1970s. 

The term "Rock" itself is so broad that it carries no meaning these days so if you could clarify what you'd rather hear using examples of different bands or genres, please do. :) 

Well first of all, BJ has on several occassions called Uno a "power pop" album, and yes there are some punkish songs like Let Yourself Go or maybe Loss of Control to an extent. Also, Tré was a lot of the same kind of sounds as Uno, just a bit more "reflective" and "epic". Dos is the only album which you could say was rock as BJ described it as Garage Rock. You could say pop-punk or pop-rock or whatever. I'm not saying that the trilogy is bad, I love it but it is very poppy, although they're probably the best pop albums (at least new pop albums). I just think it would be logical to go more in the direction of rock than pop which they did with the trilogy. And what I mean by rock is quite heavy songs or fast paced songs like the ones I mentioned in my previous post. This could be punk, a bit of heavy/hardcore stuff. Also I'd like to see Tré going crazy on the drums on a couple of tracks. And in terms of Green Day music, that would be their more heavy music. I'm not saying they're hardcore or heavy metal or anything. I'd just like to see them do a harder rock album. 

Also, I never said that Take Back was hardcore, but I definetely think it's a fast paced punk song although I would consider H&H quite heavy and the scream on that track is awesome. I'm just saying I'd like to see an album like that. I'm not stating whether GD is pop, pop-rock, pop-punk, alternative rock, heavy or hardcore. I'm just saying doing a harder rock album than the trilogy would be a logical step after the trilogy to me

I did give LP's latest album as an example. After their album Living Things, they were very electronic and different from their older style. Then they came out with the Hunting Party which was more hard rock with the energy from their first two releases (Hybrid Theory and Meteora). I think Green day should do a similar thing as their latest efforts have been too poppy. And in terms of genres, I've given fast-paced punk songs and hard(ish) rock as examples 

OMG, JANE. Your ava is delicious. 

I know, right! :ga:

I take credit for the new found love for blonde Billie.  You can all thank me now.

it's the sweat! 

"please don't embarrass me in front of the general public"

this is literally my relationship with this band. 

I really hope Green Day's new album is some kind of epic, raw, folk-punk album with lo-fi production. I think that kind of album would a lot make sense right now.

No folk punk please. Warning's cool and all but that's my least favourite sound that they've dabbled in. Can't think of much else they could conceivably try that I wouldn't be up for though.

I reckon it could be quite cool if they dabbled a little bit more in metal, since they tried Take Back 18 years ago and that has to be one of my favourites from Nimrod, despite not being a big metal head.

Isn't that what they are on now.

True. My thoughts are that the hiatus will extend up to 7 years tops, then when they come back they'll drop an impromptu album that will sell as well as American Idiot.

Hey, I can hope.

True. My thoughts are that the hiatus will extend up to 7 years tops, then when they come back they'll drop an impromptu album that will sell as well as American Idiot.

Hey, I can hope.

7 years - they may as well call it quits now.:cry:

7 years - they may as well call it quits now.:cry:

Either that or they'll release another Warning and be done altogether.

Well know I will come at ya - Warning is a great album.

I'm with that bitch coming at ya, Warning is my Top 3 GD albums.  I would be perfectly happy with another Warning.   

Oh, I didn't mean I don't love Warning. It's one of my top 3 GD albums. I was talking in terms of sales and general popularity. Be honest, it was not well-received by the general public as a good  album. 

Oh, I didn't mean I don't love Warning. It's one of my top 3 GD albums. I was talking in terms of sales and general popularity. Be honest, it was not well-received by the general public as a good  album. 

However, in hindsight, it is.  IT was a huge departure from what they have done in the past and alot of people had a hard time reconciling that.  Now, I think they are in a position where people are not sure what to expect because they have tried so many different things, some successful, some not.  So, I think something like Warning, if the same quality, would be better received.  

Archived