[Opinion] What's next for Green Day?

Sanity Loan

I'm worried we're in for a long hiatus. I think they'll make the occasional one-off appearance (praying for the HoF induction so I can try to go, since it'll be close to home), but in terms of a major tour and an album, I think it'll be at least two years. I have no reason to say that other than my own cynicism (and thoughts about how they may want to regroup post-Trilogy and post-rehab), though :lol:

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Billie Joe is going into norwegian black metal, so he's probably gonna release an album with Lordi, Gorgoroth or someone.

At least then he should play a lot of shows here. :lol:

As long as it's not like the trilogy, Idc what they make or when it gets released.

Kind of feel like the band is tapped. Maybe a new bathroom related side project. Names could be The Jazz Toilet or The Telephone pole.

I'm worried we're in for a long hiatus. I think they'll make the occasional one-off appearance (praying for the HoF induction so I can try to go, since it'll be close to home), but in terms of a major tour and an album, I think it'll be at least two years. I have no reason to say that other than my own cynicism (and thoughts about how they may want to regroup post-Trilogy and post-rehab), though :lol:

I wouldn't mind a long hiatus. Gives the guys time to take it easy, pursue other projects, family life etc. I'm sure they'll still play side projects and keep themselves occupied but I feel they don't need to do any mammoth GD stuff for a couple of years. Let them release another thing like Shenanigans or Demolicious and keep the fans ticking over for a while.

Kind of feel like the band is tapped. Maybe a new bathroom related side project. Names could be The Jazz Toilet or The Telephone pole.

Tapped?

Tapped?

I don't think they are ever gonna reach the level of creativity and energy they've had in the past. I'm sad to say it, but I just can't imagine there being more superhits now. I want it, I just don't think it'll happen. Not for a while, that is. I think they need to really miss it for the inspiration to hit hard.

I think they would end up like The Ramones. As the times goes they getting more shit.

Some of the biggest acts in history are only still well renowned because they were short lived. In some cases metaphorically, others literally. The Beatles, Janis Joplin, Nirvana etc. Imagine one of the band members had died after Insomniac? They would have been huge. Still, call it optimistic but I'm hoping for a Springsteen-esque transition into graceful old age.

I expect they'll do a cover of "Let it Go," skyrocket back to relevancy, and spend the rest of their career Green Day-ifying the popular music of the day.

I think their next record will have more personal, darker themes and lyrics. I think they'll take a few years to do that, but they might revert back to FBHT or The Network at some point, or do R&R Hall of Fame. After the next Green Day record though, I don't see much for them. I expect they'll maybe just call it quits after that.

Still, call it optimistic but I'm hoping for a Springsteen-esque transition into graceful old age.

So they're gonna release absolute crap for the next 20 years before putting out anything good? :P

I think whatever album they release next it will be the last big thing for Green Day. And if it's bad than the trilogy was the last big thing. Do you guys really believe that they can have such a massive success like they did with dookie or AI again? They are not getting younger, you know. And teenagers today are literally listening to shit. So unless Green Day release a dubstep-rap-edm-core something they are not getting on mainstream tv/radio/etc. And I think nobody wants that. I don't think they'll retire or fall apart though. They'll still be writing and releasing stuff. Like Rolling Stones. That old fuckers still make albums. But who listens to them?

i don't exactly disagree with you but i kind of just want to play devil's advocate and point out that after the success of dookie i'm pretty sure no one thought they would ever have such a big success again, and they obviously did with american idiot. and no, not all teenagers today are listening to "shit." there have been a lot more rock-type songs that have been getting pretty high on the billboard hot 100 recently. not exactly green day's style, but certainly not all of it is "step-rap-dem-core." paramore's ain't it fun was number 7 on itunes yesterday. before anyone tries to murder me, i'm not trying to compare paramore and green day, but i'm just saying that mainstream success isn't impossible for rock bands nowadays.

They need to take their time and let the music come to them. Need another quality LP from them.

I agree. I like when the band is in the public spotlight and doing well commercially. A quality album (dare I say like AI) will really help that and put the band back on the map.

Maybe they'll actually put more effort than "Take pills. Get drunk. Write song in 5 minutes. Retain lukewarm popularity by pulling publicity stunts that make us look completely retarded." into their music.

Some great, serious responses so far. Thanks.

top kek

Maybe they'll actually put more effort than "Take pills. Get drunk. Write song in 5 minutes. Retain lukewarm popularity by pulling publicity stunts that make us look completely retarded." into their music.

top kek

Publicity stunts? Seriously?

No one took that "FUCK YOU JUSTIN BIEBER" shit seriously anyway. Everyone knows that Adrienne is a massive Belieber. Next time he should go after someone who actually deserves hate, like Pitbull, or Nickleback, or Ricky Gervais.

I don't really care what the next album is like I just want them to tour again, change up their live show a bit and play deeper cuts.

Honestly if Green Day only ever toured every couple of years and never made another album, I wouldn't complain.

Yeah...none of those results are relevant.

Apart from the very first one.

Pretty much yes.

I'd like a tour or a new album, maybe both but i would appreciate a tour more :)

I want them to get heavier in the sense of Platypus / Take Back type material. I hope their next album is like Nimrod in general. They can do all that experimentally junk they want, but give us something close to what made us like them in the first place. If Tre is the new direction they're going in, I'll be disappointed.

Archived