[Opinion] What's next for Green Day?

Sanity Loan

A new album, maybe a proper UK tour would be nice. Also some kind of Shenanigans Vol 2, with b-sides and stuff from AI-now, all compiled in one nice package.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a clue what I hope for, or what to expect. I just hope it's sooner rather than later

Drifting further from punk into a general retro pop-rock sound. Sales don't matter any more. They'll always sell out 10k+ arenas now. They'll just make music as and when they feel like it as a band without pressure from the label, which in turn will mean the label stops promoting their music quite so much. They'll become a background fixture in the music scene with their dedicated fan base and no obligation to do anything particularly daring or out there. They don't need another American Idiot or Dookie and I wouldn't want one. It'd be too intense.

There'll be lots of various side-project stuff. Films, cafes, all that jazz. They'll each do their own thing and every 3-5 years pop out some Green Day stuff, do a world tour, then back to the homely things.

Album in mid 2015.

Not sure what style they'll go for, but will be a huge step up lyrically, especially compared to the trilogy.

Interested to see what Billie has been writing about, he must have been writing when he went to rehab.

They need to take their time and let the music come to them. Need another quality LP from them.

Whatever they may do, I hope for a Pop Disaster part 2 with Blink 182 again and whoever else.

I want them to play on letterman before he retires I don't care if they don't do anythimg else they have to do that.

CRAZY TRÈ MOMEMT

Album in mid 2015.

Not sure what style they'll go for, but will be a huge step up lyrically, especially compared to the trilogy.

Interested to see what Billie has been writing about, he must have been writing when he went to rehab.

Holy shit that drives me crazy. He was in outpatient rehab for a month. He spent it at HOME. I absolutely feel that whole time period will have inspired some great writing or ideas but it irks me when people say that like he was gone for a year or something. However I totally admire and support Billie getting sober and all, it ain't easy especially being a rock star and having lived his whole adult life that way. More than anything that very concept should inspire a shit ton of good writing cause that must be incredibly hard.

I really want them to make a live DVD or CD. They did it for the last two tours, so why not now?

Also I would love a new rock opera album. But I have no idea what to expect from them, I don't think they will be doing anything special.

Maybe a club show or something at most

Holy shit that drives me crazy. He was in outpatient rehab for a month. He spent it at HOME. I absolutely feel that whole time period will have inspired some great writing or ideas but it irks me when people say that like he was gone for a year or something. However I totally admire and support Billie getting sober and all, it ain't easy especially being a rock star and having lived his whole adult life that way. More than anything that very concept should inspire a shit ton of good writing cause that must be incredibly hard.

In sure that month was like a year for Billie

I have some friends who has in home and in rehab places and they say the in home was worst (of course everyone is different)

I'd imagine the trilogy was kind of...

Jesus shitting on the supper table, I am not reading that. You know how you stop and breathe in the middle of saying things? A paragraph break is the written form of that. Please learn to use the enter key when typing, and I'll consider reading your thoughts.

[Edit:] Ignore this and give us a delete button. Seriously. Stop making me send my deletes through a middle man. I know there's a delete button on the other end of this exchange, I just want it closer. That's all. thnx4listnin

#modlaw

Also I would love a new rock opera album.

Please no. They did it exceptionally well with AI, then did it exceptionally shittily with 21CB. I think they've about done the concept to death, and if they drop another 21CB, I just might burn whatever Green Day stuff I have left.

then did it exceptionally shittily with 21CB

funny considering 21CBD isn't a rock opera

I think that by next year we will hear mumblings of how Green Day is in the studio and will start seeing some instagram videos of them in the studio. I see the album being a bit more of the traditional Green Day (AI) sound but I don't think it will be as formal as say 21CB. I think with Billie having some serious themes and topics to write about the the songs will have more meaningful content in lyrics than the Trilogy.

I hope they take it easy for a while. Won't be good for GDA/GDC but all the pressure GD have put themselves under in the past has been part of their drive to be successful and constantly up there with the biggest bands of the age. It's admirable that they put so much effort into their work but it can't last if they want to.

Take a year or two out, write some good music, and hopefully Billie learns that he does not have to publish every single song he's ever written. 21stCB and the Trilogy had way too much filler. American Idiot and Dookie were both shortish albums, containing only the songs that it needed.

I would love to hear them evolve their sound too, not because I don't like it currently, just because I'm sick of people judging me for proudly listening to Green Day.

[Edit:] Ignore this and give us a delete button. Seriously. Stop making me send my deletes through a middle man. I know there's a delete button on the other end of this exchange, I just want it closer. That's all. thnx4listnin

Don't post such delete-worth stuff then.

I hoping for a new album in not so long, maybe next year sometime? :) After the trilogy I'm not sure what kind of album they'll make. Honestly, I just want them to tour again.

I see the album being a bit more of the traditional Green Day (AI) sound

Not sure how AI can be classed as Green Day's traditional sound when it's very much a one off. Dookie/Nimrod is probably closer to a "traditional" Green Day sound.

funny considering 21CBD isn't a rock opera

It is a bit though, isn't it?

Fuck Green Day I want new Blink182 album.

I would expect to see an album next year or the year after. So long as it's better than the trilogy, I'll probably be happy.

What are you doing posting in a Green Day section? :P

I'd like to say "tour", but it's probably impossible before new album release. So... I think we shouldn't expect anything this year, although anniversary of Dookie and American Idiot is great opportunity to make something special like tour, live DVD etc. I hope 2015 will be better :)

I think whatever album they release next it will be the last big thing for Green Day. And if it's bad than the trilogy was the last big thing. Do you guys really believe that they can have such a massive success like they did with dookie or AI again? They are not getting younger, you know. And teenagers today are literally listening to shit. So unless Green Day release a dubstep-rap-edm-core something they are not getting on mainstream tv/radio/etc. And I think nobody wants that. I don't think they'll retire or fall apart though. They'll still be writing and releasing stuff. Like Rolling Stones. That old fuckers still make albums. But who listens to them?

Billie Joe is going into norwegian black metal, so he's probably gonna release an album with Lordi, Gorgoroth or someone.

Or, he's gonna continue playing in front of Walmart's for beef or raw ham.

Tre is meanwhile going to make an rock-country opera about his lost nut.

And Mike? We don't know. Probably gonna play with Emily's Army and saying fuck my life all over and over again.

I think whatever album they release next it will be the last big thing for Green Day. And if it's bad than the trilogy was the last big thing. Do you guys really believe that they can have such a massive success like they did with dookie or AI again? They are not getting younger, you know. And teenagers today are literally listening to shit. So unless Green Day release a dubstep-rap-edm-core something they are not getting on mainstream tv/radio/etc. And I think nobody wants that. I don't think they'll retire or fall apart though. They'll still be writing and releasing stuff. Like Rolling Stones. That old fuckers still make albums. But who listens to them?

U2, Metallica and Bruce Springsteen have all been around forever and are still pretty relevant. It's not impossible to have a long and successful career, they don't have to fade away into memory.

I thought it was another old thread that someone had just updated..

Archived