[Opinion] What's next for Green Day?

Sanity Loan

Since news is slow and will only get slower as this year presses on, let's speculate!

So what do you think is next for Green Day? Lyrical content, instrument sound, album themes, etc.

I'm very intrigued by which direction the band goes with their next project because I feel like the trilogy was more or less a "let's do something fun" project, rather than a ~normal release.

So what do you all think will happen next?

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They create that rap album we've always wanted.

Another few albums, a lame Superbowl show, and if Billie Joe is cool, a "fuck you" to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame like the Sex Pistols did.

"fuck you" to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame like the Sex Pistols did.

If this happens I will literally eat my own arse.

Another few albums, a lame Superbowl show, and if Billie Joe is cool, a "fuck you" to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame like the Sex Pistols did.

There's no way they're playing the Superbowl. :P And if they did a Broadway musical, they ain't turning down the Hall of Fame.

Some great, serious responses so far. Thanks.

Did you really expect all serious responses? :lol:

If this happens I will literally eat my own arse.

I'm holding you to this.

A live concert on DVD, behind the scenes footage, another leg to the tour, or R & R.

pretty sure they're gonna get inducted to the hall of fame next year. wonder if that'll include john...

Four words:

Greatest Hits, Vol. 2

by the way, that's only 3 words

For their next record, I'll be happy with whatever they decide to do. What I'd like to see though, is this- they build on what they were doing on TRE, and do what Billie said he wanted to do, make it a concept album and record it live in a room together. I think that would be super rad.

1. Greatest

2. Hits

3. Volume

4. Two

A live concert on DVD, behind the scenes footage, another leg to the tour, or R & R.

What's R and R?

During the hiatus, some small/club shows here and there. After the hiatus, next album will probably be a rock opera type (I hope so). :)

No, see, before you do that you're supposed to Google it yourself and make sure the results are actually there. I did it myself and there was nothing helpful, is it the magazine iScottie's talking about?

pretty sure they're gonna get inducted to the hall of fame next year. wonder if that'll include john...

Did you notice the disagreement Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons had with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame that ultimately led to KISS not playing their induction? Gene and Paul wanted to induct themselves, Peter Criss, Ace Frehley, Eric Carr, Bruce Kulick, Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer in as KISS. The HOF shot them down and said that only the "classic" lineup (Simmons, Stanley, Criss, Frehley) could be inducted.

There was some behind the scenes crap that went down with KISS, too. Supposedly the HOF had asked that the original four play--not Simmons, Stanley, Singer and Thayer--but Criss and Frehley didn't want to be on the same stage together. Basically, were it not for the "classic lineup only" rule, KISS would have found a way to play. Green Day's classic lineup is Armstrong, Dirnt, Cool. John Kiffmeyer definitely won't be inducted, and Jason White almost certainly won't either because he wasn't involved with GD when Dookie was released.

I'd imagine the trilogy was kind of a kick in the ass and their gonna want to prove themselves again cause that's just what they do. I'm hoping for a mature album, lyrically, I feel like things were going very good for the band with two mega albums and them being super popular and whatnot and now I think Billie's like "FUCK". I'm sure all this shit has taken a strain on his family life and I'd bet he's been feeling a share of self loathing and I'm hoping it brings out the beast once more. But I'd imagine it'll be a little while before anything's released but at the same time not too long cause I think they don't wanna wait to redeem themselves. However they cant rush shit. Musically I wouldn't mind the complexity of 21st again but I'd like if they kept it simple and stripped like the trilogy just without that bubble gum sound that it had. Billie's great at being a spokesman for a generation IE Dookie and AI and 21st. I wanna know how these times look to him now as a forty something year old who's lived the life he has. I mean picture what the world looks like to him, it must be bizarre. I don't really need more political stuff, though I do think it's one of his strong spots, but I wanna see (hear) more personal and introspective stuff. Either way I'm just excited to see if they pull it together after this. It's not like they haven't lost popularity before (though by now they are cemented in history and everyone knows who they are) but they've never really made "bad" stuff like the trilogy before so for the first time I feel like they really do have something to prove. Warning was not popular and didn't sell much but I cant see how they weren't proud of it either way. The trilogy on the other hand was pretty terrible and this time they're either gonna step it up or feel they don't have to prove anything anymore cause they've done enough. But I think we all know that wont happen, if for nothing else they like making music for themselves and will want to prove themselves to themselves again. But above all else I'll be waiting on Billie's lyrics cause he is an amazing lyricist, a poet, and that's by far what disappoints me most about the trilogy.

If they didn't include Chad Channing for Nirvana they better not John...

Green Day's classic lineup is Armstrong, Dirnt, Cool. John Kiffmeyer definitely won't be inducted, and Jason White almost certainly won't either because he wasn't involved with GD when Dookie was released.

That don't mean shit Dave Grohl was inducted in as Nirvana for an album he had nothing at all to do with...

I'm hoping for a darker side of green day :D

What's R and R?

rest and relaxation

Archived