GDA Review: 'Demolicious' is the raw Green Day sound we love'

Fuzz

Just posted my review of Demolicious up on GDA. Here's a snippit

Today marks the international release of Green Day's latest project, Demolicious, an album of demos stemming from the trilogy they started working on more than two years ago. As a matter of fact, it was exactly two years ago on April 11th that Billie Joe announced the trilogy on Twitter and the announcement video was released. Now we're getting an 18 track album gives us a glimpse of the unpolished sound Green Day puts forward as they work out the tracks and prep them for their journey into the final form of a cleaned up mixed and mastered Green Day album.

It's not very often that Green Day fans get to hear the different stages of a song before the final polish is added. It inevitably leads to conversation of comparison between the two versions of the songs and makes you wonder "why did they remove that" or "why did they change the lyrics here?"

Demolicious opens up with a very powerful version of "99 Revolutions", a perfect opener with one solid statement that stays true throughout most of Demolicious, holy shit those guitars sound great. The song feels louder, the guitars sound stronger and not as clean or perfect as on the final version. I immediately think back to a picture Billie posted on Instagram from their studio after the albums were released with the hashtag #reallyloudguitars. Yes, give me more of that.

Read the full thing: http://www.greendayauthority.com/news/4819/

I agree with pretty much everything you said in the review, Fuzz. I absolutely love this release (minus State of Shock, which I think is a really mediocre song), and prefer pretty much all the demo versions of the songs to the final versions. It's definitely got a much more passionate, raw, and (dare I say it) punk sound that is really refreshing after how over-polished 21CB and 123 were.

This is probably my favorite (non-live) Green Day release since AI.

Excellent review and very well written as well :)

Excellent review, well-written and I think I agree with most of it!

Archived