Billie Joe playing with The Replacements

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
video via Tony Pierce @busblog twitter ~ Apr 18 2014
The Replacements encore "I O U" with Billie Joe from Green Day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs2LNzyLz5k
Via GDLoT

I saw The Replacements at Riot Fest in Chicago this last September and it was fucking epic. If I went to see them and Billie Joe was part of the band, I would shit my pants instantly.

Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong joins The Replacements during second Coachella set

Coachella’s second weekend is under way now, and The Replacements took the stage tonight for the second of the reunited band’s appearances at the two-weekend fest — and dropped a big surprise on the crowd, as Green Day’ Billie Joe Armstrong joined the ‘Mats for part of the band’s set while Paul Westerberg played and sang from an on-stage couch.

Westerberg came onto the stage at the opening of the band’s set walking with a cane, and some tweets from audience members suggest he’d hurt his back, hence the need to hit the couch on stage. But it’s not entirely clear whether something actually was wrong, or whether it was just a joke.

Reports are still coming in, and we’ll update this as the evening progresses. But below you can see some photos and video from tonight’s Replacements set at Coachella.

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2014/04/18/replacements-billie-joe-armstrong-photo-video/

Instagram Video

grimygoods
1 hour ago · Coachella Outdoor Theatre
Real stoked that at least 80% of the people at #Coachella don't know what a GOOD band is; nice up close spot for #TheReplacements. Paul hurt his back so Billy Joe of #GreenDay is on the front lines while Paul shreds from the cozy couch.

http://instagram.com/p/m9Q3GKPk4u/

Jessica Letkemann @Letkemann 32m

#coachella Just saw the Replacements for the 1st time & Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong played the whole set w/em

BljyOFlCEAAQmKO.jpg

10249192_1474025292826869_2077006623_n.j

0a9395fec77b11e39dbc0002c95314b2_8.jpg

1cf126c6c77b11e397aa0002c9e105bc_8.jpg

billiejoesreject

1 hour ago

RIGHT NOW!!! Billie Joe Armstrong joining the replacements at coachella! #greenday #bj #bja #billie #billiejoe #billiejoearmstrong

3af32936c77511e3aee20002c99b47a6_8.jpg

mrturk

2 hours ago

A #turkfest with #billyjoel from #greenday and #thereplacements all in #mrturk #coachella

e4599678c77411e3aeb80002c956826e_8.jpg

decabet

2 hours ago · Outdoor Stage - Coachella

#paulwesterberg turns the mic over to #greenday's #billyjoeaemstrong for #thereplacements classic "I'm in Trouble"!!! #coachella and they are now doing "Kiss Me On the Bus"

917070_1584579091766513_1428254908_n.jpg

jcaugust7

40 minutes ago

BJ Armstrong and Tommy Stinson. #thereplacements #greenday

b5a40826c77511e3a06e0002c9e1a0d8_8.jpg

067fe00ec77511e3ac900002c9d78d6e_8.jpg

Coachella: Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong Joins The Replacements (for a Night)

After what was regarded as a lackluster first weekend set, the Replacements returned to Coachella's Outdoor Stage with a vengeance, recruiting Green Day singer Billie Joe Armstrong to fill in for ailing frontman Paul Westerberg, who was laid up on the couch -- literally.

Complaining of having thrown out his back, Westerberg spent most of the weekend two set on his back, laying on a sofa while playing guitar and sitting up to tackle vocals. The night's surprise, bringing out Armstrong, came early in the set and featured some of the band's most beloved songs, including "Color Me Impressed," "Can't Hardly Wait" and "Alex Chilton."

Fairly well-rehearsed, possibly as a result of the Replacements' own influence on the punk rock star, Armstrong played with the band for their whole set some songs more ably than others. That prompted bassist Tommy Stinson to crack at one point, "You'll get it Billie; It's in E like all the others."

They then proceeded to knock out several more favorites from the Replacements canon, including ""I'm In Trouble," "Kiss Me on the Bus," "Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out," "I Don't Know" and "IOU." Westerberg called Armstrong's addition an "expansion" of the band.

Compared to the Replacements' April 11 performance, their first in California since 1991, the week two appearance was much better attended and the band, despite Westerberg's injury, seemed far more invested. The addition of Armstrong, who seemed excited to be essentially fronting a band that informed his own music, certainly helped. And even he cracked, "Dreams really do come true!"

The band looked better, too, dressed in matching tan suits which Armstrong also wore (his hair, much longer than on the Grammys earlier this year, was scraggly and he sported a full beard) except for Westerberg, who broke form and went low-key with sneakers and a khaki jacket emblazoned with a giant P.

The woe-is-me act didn't hold up with all Replacements loyalists, some of whom snickered that laying down to play (then standing for the last three) felt more like shtick. But according to festival insiders, Westerberg had been experiencing pain.

Regardless, the set marked a triumphant return for a band that should be relishing in its victory lap not mocking it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/earshot/coachella-2014-billie-joe-armstrong-697688

Blj_Wd9CcAAfTvW.jpg

167cf058c78111e38cd50002c95626cc_8.jpg

10254262_1408903092715215_2121656264_n.j

Most of the crowd: "Who the fuck is this hobo playing with the Replacements?"

Seriously, I love you Billie, but that beard and hair combo looks like you just woke up in a dumpster.

I'm really happy for him but that hair is cracking me up, it's such a timewarp to baby billie but with a beard.

Since Green Day are taking a break atm, BJA would've grown the beard/hair as to not be recognised so much in public

Looks like he's trying out his early 90's hair again

Zu3FhNf.jpg

Dat bong

This is awesome! He got to play with his favourite band of all time and wear a matching suit and everything :wub:. Makes my heart swell with happiness for him :D. It's really cool to see him performing looking totally different to usual as well. Cutest hobo ever.

I think it's only fair that he gets a chance to perform with his favourite band after giving so many fans the chance to perform with theirs - most recently me!

This is great news, Billie must be totally happy to play with one of his most favorite bands :)

:sick: Someone mentioned it the other day in the Instagram thread, I believe, but this motherfucker truly is Charlie Hanson now. There's no denying it.

Cool show appearance while having a nightmare personal appearance.

Nawwwwww

"The addition of Armstrong, who seemed excited to be essentially fronting a band that informed his own music, certainly helped. And even he cracked, "Dreams really do come true!"

I feel so happy for him right now :)

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/music-festivals/6062676/coachella-2014-green-days-billie-joe-armstrong-joins-the

Nawwwwww

"The addition of Armstrong, who seemed excited to be essentially fronting a band that informed his own music, certainly helped. And even he cracked, "Dreams really do come true!"

I feel so happy for him right now :)

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/music-festivals/6062676/coachella-2014-green-days-billie-joe-armstrong-joins-the

How adorable!

Archived