Radio Edits

Mega Man

Praxus wasn't the one who made the claim. :P

Like I said, not arguing that the original poster was right, just that there's worse than "damn" present. :P

As I'm actually attending one, I find it less hilarious and more fucking irritating. :lol:

I guess I haven't read them in a few years so my memory isn't very fresh. Still, this was before my internet days, before I was desensitised to fuck, and none of that even registered with me. I really can't see how anyone would get pissy about it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bitch only appeared once in HP

that's not really enough to say it occurs like it pops up regularly or something

I guess I haven't read them in a few years so my memory isn't very fresh. Still, this was before my internet days, before I was desensitised to fuck, and none of that even registered with me. I really can't see how anyone would get pissy about it.

You underestimate the Christian Right.

Bitch only appeared once in HP

that's not really enough to say it occurs like it pops up regularly or something

Twice. (I've read each one twenty times, I remember these things. :P )

I've read HP tons of times other than "not my child you bitch" is there any other foul language?

Okay, not the best example. The other major example I could think of was Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers, which is, in fact, a young adult novel. However, Fallen Angels is pretty controversial due to its language (it IS a war novel about young American soldiers, and they swear quite a lot).

And Catcher in the Rye, I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a YA novel - I know that I did read it in high school (second reading, actually - I had read it once before).

The first appearance of "bitch" in HP (book #3) was in reference to a female dog, BUT it was a double meaning, I think - a stealth insult, if you will.

And Catcher in the Rye, I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a YA novel - I know that I did read it in high school (second reading, actually - I had read it once before).

Nope, Salinger wrote for adults—teens just tend to latch onto it (myself included) because of how easy Holden is to relate to.

You underestimate the Christian Right.

Twice. (I've read each one twenty times, I remember these things. :P )

Where's the second?

I see BCap saying the first appearance

Do y'all live in the UK or non US? Wonder if they changed words for different parts I know the UK text is a tad different for the first two novels than the US versions

I didn't realise Harry Potter was a Green Day radio edit.

I beg to dream and differ

from the hollow lies

this is the dawning of the last of our lives

on Harry Potter

Where's the second?

Molly screaming at Bellatrix is actually the second; the first is in Aunt Marge's discourse on breeding and Harry's parents in Azkaban.

from the hollow lies

on Harry Potter

Voldy died today

Got Expelliarmus'd into the bay

/Potter spam (sorry, Tom)

from the hollow lies

on Harry Potter

That reminds me, censoring "Zieg Heil" in Holiday was bad enough, but I once heard a version that censored "Eiffel Towers." Which was probably more offensive than if they hadn't censored it.

Molly screaming at Bellatrix is actually the second; the first is in Aunt Marge's discourse on breeding and Harry's parents in Azkaban.

/Potter spam (sorry, Tom)

Marge's wasn't swearing though because she was referring to a female dog.

/It's ok, moving on...

That reminds me, censoring "Zieg Heil" in Holiday was bad enough, but I once heard a version that censored "Eiffel Towers." Which was probably more offensive than if they hadn't censored it.

Well, I'm guessing that they thought that Eiffel Towers was what the cool kids were calling French dicks or something.

Or maybe they were paranoid racist fucks. Lets go with that.

Was this during the same period that we insisted on eating "freedom fries"? Jfc.

Was this during the same period that we insisted on eating "freedom fries"? Jfc.

Probably. "Redneck" was removed from American Idiot by the same station.

Well, I'm guessing that they thought that Eiffel Towers was what the cool kids were calling French dicks or something.

Or maybe they were paranoid racist fucks. Lets go with that.

It was Yorkshire, what do you expect? They probably didn't know what France was.

Probably. "Redneck" was removed from American Idiot by the same station.

It was Yorkshire, what do you expect? They probably didn't know what France was.

The Republican, it burns!

Praxus & BCap my bad just re checked y'all right

Damn I'm so used to cussing I completely overlooked that

I watched something on Green Day (I think it was on VH1), and they played a couple of songs in the background, including "American Idiot." They didn't mute out "fuck" from the song (probably because the song was being played quietly while the narrator spoke). I think they did the same thing with "Minority" in that same episode.

I'd love for Green Day to play the Super Bowl - they'd probably take full advantage of the fact that they were on live TV to actually let loose (and I think the Super Bowl airs without a tape delay, sort of like the news or Saturday Night Live - when the Ravens won - I remember the cameras cutting to Joe Flacco... just in time to hear him say "holy shit... fucking awesome!" on live TV, albeit during the Safe Harbor when the broadcasters can actually use that sort of language).

I watched something on Green Day (I think it was on VH1), and they played a couple of songs in the background, including "American Idiot." They didn't mute out "fuck" from the song (probably because the song was being played quietly while the narrator spoke). I think they did the same thing with "Minority" in that same episode.

I'd love for Green Day to play the Super Bowl - they'd probably take full advantage of the fact that they were on live TV to actually let loose (and I think the Super Bowl airs without a tape delay, sort of like the news or Saturday Night Live - when the Ravens won - I remember the cameras cutting to Joe Flacco... just in time to hear him say "holy shit... fucking awesome!" on live TV, albeit during the Safe Harbor when the broadcasters can actually use that sort of language).

Super Bowl are VERY strict on cussing they fined MIA half a million just for flipping the bird

And Catcher in the Rye, I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a YA novel

It's for young adults and adults. Teenagers like it because Holden's a whiny shit and they relate to that, adults read it and remember being like that.

The time "fuck" was left in but "faggot" was edited out was a fun one.

To be fair, though, it does sound like he's saying "fuck America" in that part. With faggot he's just calling himself that.

Super Bowl are VERY strict on cussing they fined MIA half a million just for flipping the bird

I'm not even sure how they have a legal basis for that argument. Unless her contract stated "you cannot use words x y and z and you can't raise your middle finger," it's possible that she could get out of it. I'm not a legal expert, though, so I may be wrong (hence my reluctance to state anything definitively).

I'm not even sure how they have a legal basis for that argument. Unless her contract stated "you cannot use words x y and z and you can't raise your middle finger," it's possible that she could get out of it. I'm not a legal expert, though, so I may be wrong (hence my reluctance to state anything definitively).

You don't have to lay out every possible word they're not allowed to say, the contract can just say "nothing profane" (but in legalese, of course).

You don't have to lay out every possible word they're not allowed to say, the contract can just say "nothing profane" (but in legalese, of course).

Point taken. Of course, a lot of words can be argued (hell, damn, ass, bitch, bastard, cock, Christ, douche, etc.) as having (legitimate) non-profane uses. Hell, Irish meatballs ARE called "faggots" (basically the only legitimate use of that word - the line "you scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot" in "Fairytale of New York" by The Pogues is actually probably referring to the meatballs).

What the fuck is an Irish meatball?

My bad, they are actually British. But they are made from off-cuts and offal (i.e. internal organs). Hey, you asked. Wikipedia says that pork is particularly popular. And they are, in fact, fairly inexpensive.

Archived