Radio Edits

Mega Man

But seriously, has Green Day ever actually self-censored? I know blink-182 and the Dead Kennedys have (I saw a performance of "Dammit" where Mark changed "fucked" to "sucked," because apparently that makes it less dirty somehow, while Jello has often changed a certain racial slur in "Holiday in Cambodia" to "brothers" in live performances). Green Day has actually done the same thing with the same word in "Mass Hysteria" part of "American Eulogy," but I believe it was changed to a (somewhat less offensive, but actually more topical) slur. There was also the time they had to play "Working Class Hero" on American Idol for the charity special, but I believe Billie Joe said they were forced to pre-record the song so that the network could remove the profanity (I guess they didn't have a tape delay?)

Obviously, the record company had to do that for singles when it comes to radio play, but I'm glad Green Day is strictly anti-censorship when it comes to their albums.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/howie-klein/walmart-wont-carry-the-be_b_207859.html

Their albums are how they choose to represent themselves. Asking them to change that is almost insulting.

Also, in terms of live censorship, this one stands out (not just because of Tre's awesome mohawk).

"...Because I walk so deep you can't run away." I get the funny feeling that's now what he actually said.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously, the record company had to do that for singles when it comes to radio play, but I'm glad Green Day is strictly anti-censorship when it comes to their albums.

They haven't really ever been strictly anti censorship they just didn't feel that 21st needed to be censor as they wasn't a lot of cussing

They released a censored version of AI for wal mart for a while then re issued it again in 2012

Plus edited versions of the trilogy even recorded clean version of Kill The DJ

They haven't really ever been strictly anti censorship they just didn't feel that 21st needed to be censor as they wasn't a lot of cussing

They released a censored version of AI for wal mart for a while then re issued it again in 2012

Plus edited versions of the trilogy even recorded clean version of Kill The DJ

I could never find evidence of a pre-2012 edited version of AI - in fact, I think it has been discussed somewhat heatedly on this forum. And I'm not sure how consenting the band was to the "clean" albums - my guess is they probably went in reluctantly (and possibly tried to have some control over how the albums were edited). I have heard brief clips from the clean albums, and it sounds like the curses are covered by guitar riffs or something (if I can recall correctly). Can anyone confirm? Also, is it just "fuck" and "shit" that are censored from the Trilogy clean versions (plus "f****t" and "f*g" in AI), or are "hell" and "damn" edited too?

I could never find evidence of a pre-2012 edited version of AI - in fact, I think it has been discussed somewhat heatedly on this forum. And I'm not sure how consenting the band was to the "clean" albums - my guess is they probably went in reluctantly (and possibly tried to have some control over how the albums were edited). I have heard brief clips from the clean albums, and it sounds like the curses are covered by guitar riffs or something (if I can recall correctly). Can anyone confirm? Also, is it just "fuck" and "shit" that are censored from the Trilogy clean versions (plus "f****t" and "f*g" in AI), or are "hell" and "damn" edited too?

Just fucks and shits, sometimes a shit will slip, but that's it.

Just fucks and shits, sometimes a shit will slip, but that's it.

Sounds like a major case of Getting Crap Past the Radar. What songs does that happen in?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/melissa-webster/green-day-walmart-censorship_b_1844276.html

Have to be honest, that news flew right under my nose. I can't out them for censoring their work to make it more marketable to a younger audience, but the change in mindset between albums is definitely something to consider.

Also, I think the article mentions that American Idiot was only recently censored in 2012. Which goes along with Billie Joe's statements on 21CBD that they've never censored their albums before.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/melissa-webster/green-day-walmart-censorship_b_1844276.html

Have to be honest, that news flew right under my nose. I can't out them for censoring their work to make it more marketable to a younger audience, but the change in mindset between albums is definitely something to consider.

Also, I think the article mentions that American Idiot was only recently censored in 2012. Which goes along with Billie Joe's statements on 21CBD that they've never censored their albums before.

I had a censored copy of AI in 04 couple others here have stated the same

It was pulled off the shelves

Reason why they never had to censor past albums was no albums before AI had PA stickers AI was the first GD album with it

Sounds like a major case of Getting Crap Past the Radar. What songs does that happen in?

Oh I don't know specifically for Green Day that's just what generally happens with censored albums

Green Day's stance (whatever it may be) aside, censorship of music and speaking in general just astounds me. Walmart won't sell music with swear words but is perfectly okay with selling R-rated movies, M rated games, and even GUNS in their hunting section. Words are so quick and meaningless. I've never felt uncomfortable with a curse word, but I have felt uncomfortable seeing TV violence.

I remember seeing an interview on the news with a little girl who's friend had been beaten and raped. They had no problem showing the little girl's bruised and bloody face, but when the girl being interviewed quoted that the molester said "cunt," the news lady freaked out and apologized to the viewers. It's just so ridiculous.

Green Day's stance (whatever it may be) aside, censorship of music and speaking in general just astounds me. Walmart won't sell music with swear words but is perfectly okay with selling R-rated movies, M rated games, and even GUNS in their hunting section. Words are so quick and meaningless. I've never felt uncomfortable with a curse word, but I have felt uncomfortable seeing TV violence.

I remember seeing an interview on the news with a little girl who's friend had been beaten and raped. They had no problem showing the little girl's bruised and bloody face, but when the girl being interviewed quoted that the molester said "cunt," the news lady freaked out and apologized to the viewers. It's just so ridiculous.

Music censorship is all due to thanks mainly to C Dolores Tucker thank her for that

Music censorship is all due to thanks mainly to C Dolores Tucker thank her for that

I thought it was Tipper Gore's fault.

I thought it was Tipper Gore's fault.

She played a big part too

It's not just one person to blame

I know they both were protesting and fighting for censorship pretty much the same time

What if you had a kid and wanted to listen to GD in the car?

I have an 8 year old while I'm not in denial about him not knowing cuss words but I rather him not to be exposed to it when he's around me so censorship comes into play during some things

Your child is going to hear the words sometime in their life. Besides, the best way to listen to music is to hear it in it's true form.

The taboo nature of profanity is necessary to language. Without it the expanse to which we can express ourselves in certain situations is limited. "That's a shame" doesn't have a kick like "God fucking dammit", and sometimes you need that to express what's in your head.

Your child is going to hear the words sometime in their life. Besides, the best way to listen to music is to hear it in it's true form.

I know that like I said I'm not in denial about that but that doesn't mean I have to be the one who introduce that to my son or people around me to introduce bad things to him

There's nothing wrong with trying to keep bad words or bad influences away from kids as long as possible...

It really depends on how the words are used, I suppose, and the frequency of their use. "Platypus" is incredibly vulgar, while something like "Angel Blue" is (relatively) more tame, even in the unedited version. And it's not like strong language can't be exposed to kids legitimately - the movies Spaceballs and Big both used the word "fuck" and were rated PG (and are otherwise quite family-friendly), and there are plenty of young adult novels with foul language (Harry Potter, anyone?)

(Harry Potter, anyone?)

I've read those novels over half a dozen times each and there's absolutely no bad language stronger than "damn" in there. I dunno what you're smoking, but that ain't foul language.

It really depends on how the words are used, I suppose, and the frequency of their use. "Platypus" is incredibly vulgar, while something like "Angel Blue" is (relatively) more tame, even in the unedited version. And it's not like strong language can't be exposed to kids legitimately - the movies Spaceballs and Big both used the word "fuck" and were rated PG (and are otherwise quite family-friendly), and there are plenty of young adult novels with foul language (Harry Potter, anyone?)

I've read HP tons of times other than "not my child you bitch" is there any other foul language?

But yeah I never said my son will never in life hear bad words just that I'm trying to limit as much as I can right now... I cuss way too much and I'm trying to stop that as really there's no reason to even use em in daily use like I use em anger yeah perfect use escp if you don't want to beat em up or like me simply have someone use do it for ya started incorporating cuss words in daily useage as a mid teens and now in my 30's trying to stop as I don't see the point of it

The other day I saw the word 'fuck' on the front page of The Sun. Right there, on the front page, the word 'fuck'. All they had to do to get it on the front page of the paper was to spell it 'F * * K'. Doesn't that still say 'fuck'? I'm pretty sure that still says 'fuck'. Just as the symbols 'C O W' signify a female creature of bovine extraction, so too the symbols 'F * * K' symbolise the word 'fuck'. If anything, it gets spelled that way so much it means fuck more than 'fuck' means fuck. It's kind of like a paedophile wearing his brown tinted aviator glasses when he goes to perve on kids at the pool. If anything, they make him look more like a paedophile. Interestingly, the protection afforded the word 'fuck' by the humble asterisk doesn't seem to extend to other, seemingly more innocuous words. Take, for example, the word 'finger'. Perfectly innocuous word. However, when used in a sentence such as 'I want to finger your mom', that word could be construed as offensive and thus seen to be worthy of censorship by the editor of a major national newspaper. However, you would not get that sentence on the front page of the newspaper by spelling it 'F * * G E R'. And that's because it's the context in which the word is used, not the word itself, that causes offense. In which case you might be better of spelling it 'I want to finger your M * M.'

I've read those novels over half a dozen times each and there's absolutely no bad language stronger than "damn" in there. I dunno what you're smoking, but that ain't foul language.

My old art teacher told me she didn't like Catcher In The Rye because Holden curses all the time. It's like, you work at a high school, you hear those words more in an hour than you'd read them in the book.

He does say fuck six times, but he's reading a graffito and talking about how awful it is.

While I'm not arguing that Potter is a fountain of profanity, because it's not, the words "bitch" and "bastard" do occur, and Ron and Vernon each use "effing". Oh, and Ron flips his brothers and Snape off more than once. Hardly shocking, but still. :P

It's ok, Praxus is at a Christian uni.

While I'm not arguing that Potter is a fountain of profanity, because it's not, the words "bitch" and "bastard" do occur, and Ron and Vernon each use "effing". Oh, and Ron flips his brothers and Snape off more than once. Hardly shocking, but still. :P

So basically stuff everyone has heard/seen on a daily basis by the time they hit 10? :P

I still find it hilarious that such a thing even exists. And Americans worry about religious fundamentalists in other countries :lol:

Praxus wasn't the one who made the claim. :P

So basically stuff everyone has heard/seen on a daily basis by the time they hit 10? :P

I still find it hilarious that such a thing even exists. And Americans worry about religious fundamentals in other countries :lol:

Like I said, not arguing that the original poster was right, just that there's worse than "damn" present. :P

As I'm actually attending one, I find it less hilarious and more fucking irritating. :lol:

Archived