Radio Edits

Mega Man

Anyone else here interested in the alternate mixes, radio edits and B-sides? I got into collecting singles, imports, and other releases a while ago, just to get as many alternate mixes as possible. Of course some times it's the nostalgia... American Idiot was what transformed me from a casual listener into a lifelong fan (can you believe that was ten years ago?). I can clearly remember when Green Day was taking over the airwaves, and it was a day and night difference to what was on the pop radio stations.

Anyways, I tried to track down the versions of the songs that I heard growing up. So far, I've found the Pop/Clean Edit of "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" (3:34) was the most played edit, and that was on PRO-CDR-101480. The Radio Edit of "Wake Me Up When September Ends" (4:16) was on PRO-CDR-101602. But then there's "American Idiot" and "Holiday" ("Jesus of Suburbia" did not get much airplay in my area). I remember "American Idiot" the least because that was the least played out of the set, but I have the US radio edit, and I do not remember the humor TV censor bleeps in it. If anything, I think it was the same mix used for the music video. "Holiday", on the other hand, got much more airplay. Though the only US edit backmasks the word "fag" (an unusual practice in radio edits). Meanwhile, the version I remember just took out the whole bridge and went straight into the chorus. Were any of these versions actually released, or were they just done by individual radio stations?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The album versions are always the best in my opinion why should I have to deal with censorship.

The album versions are always the best in my opinion why should I have to deal with censorship.

What if you had a kid and wanted to listen to GD in the car?

I have an 8 year old while I'm not in denial about him not knowing cuss words but I rather him not to be exposed to it when he's around me so censorship comes into play during some things

What if you had a kid and wanted to listen to GD in the car?

I have an 8 year old while I'm not in denial about him not knowing cuss words but I rather him not to be exposed to it when he's around me so censorship comes into play during some things

That's fair but I was more or less just stating my opinion on the issue as a single adult male. But in your case I can understand the need for it.

That's fair but I was more or less just stating my opinion on the issue as a single adult male. But in your case I can understand the need for it.

Trust me I'm the same as you I prefer the album version when he's with me I play music that's safe anyways cause I hate the silencing of the songs

Trust me I'm the same as you I prefer the album version when he's with me I play music that's safe anyways cause I hate the silencing of the songs

Agreed if you know what should be there its really irriatating.

I would just listen to clean music with my kid, tons of great clean stuff. I'd rather just listen to another artist than listen to something I know is purposely censored and edited. Just bugs the shit out of me but I can see how it's not even a thing for a lot of people.

For me, "censorship" is one the lowest priority when it comes to owning a certain cut. I mean, it's either done for nostalgia, or just being a completist and wanting to own all mixes available. But aside from that, a different cut, or a different mix of a song provides a substantially different listening experience. While not often better than the album version, it does provide an interesting alternative to the main version we know so well

I'm a music collector. I try to download the alternate versions of songs but as far as censored songs go, I mostly avoid them unless a lyric is changed to something else and not just removed (for example: Kill the DJ) or if there is a difference in the mixing or added instruments (for example: Last of the American Girls).

I collect singles and different versions of albums. And I really don't care if it's censored or not. I prefer the original or a remix... but if lyrics are cut out purposely (like Kidz Bop) it can get quite irritating.

I live in MD. DC 101 plays Green Day fairly regularly (at least when I listened a year or two ago), and they always used radio edits (the one for "American Idiot" beeps both "fuck" and "f*ggot," while "Holiday" backmasks "f*gs"). "Minority" is also edited, obviously, as is "Longview" (sort of - they silence both uses of "fucking" in the song and the one use of "shit" in the first verse, but they don't censor the drawn out "shiiiiiiiiiit" in the chorus or "masturbation" in the third verse). 98 Rock has played "Holiday" (uncensored, surprisingly) and "Brain Stew" ("fucked" is edited in a weird way... hard to describe, and "Jaded" is not always played). I've noticed DC 101 is a bit stricter about language than 98 Rock. The former will leave words like "bitch" in "What's My Age Again?" and "Right Now" and "goddamn" in "I Write Sins, Not Tragedies" and "Flagpole Sitta" (it is edited in "Ms. Jackson," though), but I've heard them edit "ass" in "Feel Good Inc." 98 Rock, on the other hand, will basically edit "fuck" and "shit." "Goddamn" (in "X-M@$"), "asshole" (in "Everything Zen"), "bitch" (several songs), etc.

On a side note: one of the classic rock stations (100.7 - they don't play Green Day, obviously) doesn't edit their music. And by that, I mean, I nearly crashed my car the first time they played "Jet Airliner" by Steve Miller (because the line "funky shit" wasn't censored). I've heard "shit" ("Jet Airliner" and "Money"), "bitch" ("The Bitch is Back" and "Big Shot"), "goddamn" ("Life in the Fast Lane") and (in the song "Who Are You") "fuck" (the two F-bombs are hard to hear in the studio version, but they are there, and the song is played unedited; there is also a live version that I heard part of once, and the line "who the fuck are you" was, in contrast to the studio version, EXTREMELY audible [and STILL uncensored]). There's a reason that I listen to 100.7 over 100.3 (the other classic rock station in the area).

"when masturbation's lost it's fun and i lost the key"

that's a real radio edit.

so no. i do not want radio edits.

"when masturbation's lost it's fun and i lost the key"

that's a real radio edit.

so no. i do not want radio edits.

That's probably the best "censored" line I've ever heard of anything, ever.

As far as mixes and stuff go, here's what I have

2000 Light Years Away (Jerky Boys Mix)

Having a Blast (Rock Band Mix)

Longview (Clean Version)

Longview (Very Clean Version)

Geek Stink Breath (Radio Edit)

Geek Stink Breath (Version #2)

Brain Stew (Radio Edit/Faded Ending)

Brain Stew/Jaded (Radio Edit)

Brain Stew (Godzilla Remix)

Walking Contradiction (Radio Edit)

Walking Contradiction (Version #2)

Redundant (Wide Mix)

Good Riddance (Radio Edit)

Prosthetic Head (Remix)

Hold On (Original Mix)

I Fought the Law (Cuban Rhythm)

Boulevard of Broken Dreams (Pop Mix)

Holiday (Radio Edit)

Wake Me Up When September Ends (Radio Edit)

Jesus of Suburbia (Radio Edit)

Working Class Hero (Radio Edit)

Working Class Hero (Amended Version)

21 Guns (Radio Edit)

East Jesus Nowhere (Radio Edit)

21st Century Breakdown (Radio Edit)

Last of the American Girls (Radio Edit)

Oh Love (Radio Edit)

Kill the DJ (Radio Edit) (off the single, not the cut version from the premier recording)

I live in MD. DC 101 plays Green Day fairly regularly (at least when I listened a year or two ago), and they always used radio edits (the one for "American Idiot" beeps both "fuck" and "f*ggot," while "Holiday" backmasks "f*gs"). "Minority" is also edited, obviously, as is "Longview" (sort of - they silence both uses of "fucking" in the song and the one use of "shit" in the first verse, but they don't censor the drawn out "shiiiiiiiiiit" in the chorus or "masturbation" in the third verse). 98 Rock has played "Holiday" (uncensored, surprisingly) and "Brain Stew" ("fucked" is edited in a weird way... hard to describe, and "Jaded" is not always played). I've noticed DC 101 is a bit stricter about language than 98 Rock. The former will leave words like "bitch" in "What's My Age Again?" and "Right Now" and "goddamn" in "I Write Sins, Not Tragedies" and "Flagpole Sitta" (it is edited in "Ms. Jackson," though), but I've heard them edit "ass" in "Feel Good Inc." 98 Rock, on the other hand, will basically edit "fuck" and "shit." "Goddamn" (in "X-M@$"), "asshole" (in "Everything Zen"), "bitch" (several songs), etc.

On a side note: one of the classic rock stations (100.7 - they don't play Green Day, obviously) doesn't edit their music. And by that, I mean, I nearly crashed my car the first time they played "Jet Airliner" by Steve Miller (because the line "funky shit" wasn't censored). I've heard "shit" ("Jet Airliner" and "Money"), "bitch" ("The Bitch is Back" and "Big Shot"), "goddamn" ("Life in the Fast Lane") and (in the song "Who Are You") "fuck" (the two F-bombs are hard to hear in the studio version, but they are there, and the song is played unedited; there is also a live version that I heard part of once, and the line "who the fuck are you" was, in contrast to the studio version, EXTREMELY audible [and STILL uncensored]). There's a reason that I listen to 100.7 over 100.3 (the other classic rock station in the area).

Ah, interesting stuff. It's pretty much up to the record companies when it comes to what's censored/how it's done. As you've noted, different radio stations have different thresholds as you venture away from pop radio. "Longview" is interesting because it has no less than five edits. "Brain Stew/Jaded" (which also features just Brain Stew with a faded ending) uses this weird scratchy sound effect to censor "fuck" (I think it's the version present in the music video). The "Brain/Stew/Jaded" single happens to be one of my favorites because that's the only release with the original "Good Riddance."

Ah, interesting stuff. It's pretty much up to the record companies when it comes to what's censored/how it's done. As you've noted, different radio stations have different thresholds as you venture away from pop radio. "Longview" is interesting because it has no less than five edits. "Brain Stew/Jaded" (which also features just Brain Stew with a faded ending) uses this weird scratchy sound effect to censor "fuck" (I think it's the version present in the music video). The "Brain/Stew/Jaded" single happens to be one of my favorites because that's the only release with the original "Good Riddance."

The ONLY reason I bought the "Brain Stew" CD single was to get the original version of "Good Riddance." And FIVE versions of "Longview?" Can you elaborate - this sounds good!

Censorship is dumb because everyone knows the bleep/blur is a swear.

Also, I liked the clean Kill the DJ version. "Hold him underwater till he suffocates and drowns" was such a dark line. However, after being so against censorship in the past 10 years, it was weird for Green Day to not only make clean albums, but also to write new lyrics just for the edit of Kill the DJ.

BCap: Sorry, I haven't really gotten around to collecting the "Longview" singles, but because of the popularity of the song, coupled with the profanity, there was a bunch of censored variations of the songs. For example, the US had the Clean Version and the Very Clean Version in addition to generic radio edits, which vary between region. Different mixes are also present on the Dookie/Nimrod two pack, and on International Superhits. I haven't personally confirmed the latter, but I've been told multiple times that it eliminates the fade from "Chump."

As far as mixes and stuff go, here's what I have

2000 Light Years Away (Jerky Boys Mix)

Having a Blast (Rock Band Mix)

Longview (Clean Version)

Longview (Very Clean Version)

Geek Stink Breath (Radio Edit)

Geek Stink Breath (Version #2)

Brain Stew (Radio Edit/Faded Ending)

Brain Stew/Jaded (Radio Edit)

Brain Stew (Godzilla Remix)

Walking Contradiction (Radio Edit)

Walking Contradiction (Version #2)

Redundant (Wide Mix)

Good Riddance (Radio Edit)

Prosthetic Head (Remix)

Hold On (Original Mix)

I Fought the Law (Cuban Rhythm)

Boulevard of Broken Dreams (Pop Mix)

Holiday (Radio Edit)

Wake Me Up When September Ends (Radio Edit)

Jesus of Suburbia (Radio Edit)

Working Class Hero (Radio Edit)

Working Class Hero (Amended Version)

21 Guns (Radio Edit)

East Jesus Nowhere (Radio Edit)

21st Century Breakdown (Radio Edit)

Last of the American Girls (Radio Edit)

Oh Love (Radio Edit)

Kill the DJ (Radio Edit) (off the single, not the cut version from the premier recording)

There's also another version of "Boulevard" that's also on PRO-CDR-101480, assuming that's where you got the Pop Radio Mix from.

Censorship is dumb because everyone knows the bleep/blur is a swear.

They're meant for kids listening, ya dingus. They don't.

I was watching a live performance of Letterbomb back in the day, and they bleeped out "flunkie". I guess they thought he said something else, or maybe he did say something else that one time.

I was watching a live performance of Letterbomb back in the day, and they bleeped out "flunkie". I guess they thought he said something else, or maybe he did say something else that one time.

I saw that, too. I think it's because of Billie Joe's sometimes poor pronunciation, as well as his tendency to not exactly keep things clean "All the Time."

Not sorry for the stupid pun. But seriously, has Green Day ever actually self-censored? I know blink-182 and the Dead Kennedys have (I saw a performance of "Dammit" where Mark changed "fucked" to "sucked," because apparently that makes it less dirty somehow, while Jello has often changed a certain racial slur in "Holiday in Cambodia" to "brothers" in live performances). Green Day has actually done the same thing with the same word in "Mass Hysteria" part of "American Eulogy," but I believe it was changed to a (somewhat less offensive, but actually more topical) slur. There was also the time they had to play "Working Class Hero" on American Idol for the charity special, but I believe Billie Joe said they were forced to pre-record the song so that the network could remove the profanity (I guess they didn't have a tape delay?)

I saw that, too. I think it's because of Billie Joe's sometimes poor pronunciation, as well as his tendency to not exactly keep things clean "All the Time."

Not sorry for the stupid pun. But seriously, has Green Day ever actually self-censored? I know blink-182 and the Dead Kennedys have (I saw a performance of "Dammit" where Mark changed "fucked" to "sucked," because apparently that makes it less dirty somehow, while Jello has often changed a certain racial slur in "Holiday in Cambodia" to "brothers" in live performances). Green Day has actually done the same thing with the same word in "Mass Hysteria" part of "American Eulogy," but I believe it was changed to a (somewhat less offensive, but actually more topical) slur. There was also the time they had to play "Working Class Hero" on American Idol for the charity special, but I believe Billie Joe said they were forced to pre-record the song so that the network could remove the profanity (I guess they didn't have a tape delay?)

In that American Idol performance, are they singing/playing live or is he lip-syncing?

In that American Idol performance, are they singing/playing live or is he lip-syncing?

They're playing but it's prerecorded. It wasn't live.

They're playing but it's prerecorded. It wasn't live.

Oh so they performed, filmed it, and then showed the clip. Ok

Archived