Process: Green Day album cover for Demolicious-How the cover was created

desertrose

This is a great article of the bands collaboration and how the cover was created

Tom Neely @iwilldestroytom 3h

I wrote a process blog post about the making of @GreenDay 's Demolicious Alubm cover art:

Process: Green Day album cover for Demolicious

I recently had the opportunity to work with Green Day for an album cover that will be released this Saturday for Record Store Day. It was such a fun, quick, back-and-forth collaboration that I thought I’d write a quick process blog about how it came to be.

http://iwilldestroyyou.com/main/2014/04/17/process-green-day-album-cover-for-demolicious/

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is so cool! I was actually hoping for something like this on how the cover art came to be. Very interesting from both a Green Day fan's perspective and an artist's perspective :)

Cool read! I found it amazing that he was able to create such a detailed cover in such a short amount of time.

You know a story is gonna be good when the it starts with "So, I got a call from Mike Dirnt."

wow this guy is so talented! :o it's cool to see the texts he received from mike too :)

Awesome article! I love the way he wrote it :) *Funniest part when Billie wants him to change the guitar "I fixed the guitar and Billie-Joe approved!" :lol:

And the cover is spectacular. Probably because it was done in a short amount of time. The green and red versions are amazing too; but the one they chose is the one :cool:

That was quite a nice read! I've always been interested how album covers were done.

Album covers are so intriguing. It's the first thing you see when you buy a record. You might associate each song or even the band with that one album cover. The process it takes to get an album cover just right is tough but well worth it in the end.

I can't believe this cover was made in three days! :D The whole process of how this cover came together is amazing!! So many details and references. Reading articles like this inspires me even more to pursue my goals of wanting to be a publicist. Promoting, managing, designing album covers, I want to do it all. Who knows, maybe one day I'll design one for Green Day. haha Wishful thinking I know.

Great to see the process develop within a few hours, the guy did an awesome job :)

I didn't like the album artwork at first glance but reading this has certainly helped. Especially considering he had less than 1 week to do it.

what is meant by a reference to E.B.P.M?

E.B.P.M= East Bay Punk Mafia. Billie has a tattoo with the "E.B.P.M" on his hand I don't know for the others. :)

Edit: Mike and Tre also have that tatoo.

That was very interesting to read, thank you! I'm not a big fan of the cover but this is certainly a great piece of art. I like the back cover as well.

"I did google Billie-Joe’s guitar, but I guess I didn’t find the right one."

http://youtu.be/PrfK9_uhibY

Awesomesauce! It's exceptional that he only had 3 days to finish the whole thing and it turned out that great!

I really like the red color scheme too.

I love this! So impressed with the artist for creating such fabulous artwork in such a short time, and it's really cool that the band were involved in the process like that. Really interesting insight into it.

Simply awesome story and talent! Sometimes I´m really happy that I payed attention to my English teachers then... paid off... :)

That's so cool! I love seeing the process of an art piece! That's always the most fun for me when I'm doing art too. I love having documentation of how it looked starting out, sometime in the middle, and the final product. The evolution of an artwork is one of the most beautiful things in life.

Archived