demolicious vs the trilogy

peppermint butler

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Trilogy > AI

*drops mic*

I'm not even going to bother debating you on this again. :P

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

21st Century Breakdown > Demolicious

*runs and hides under the bed while awaiting the impending shitstorm about to hit*

I'm not even going to bother debating you on this again. :P

American Idiot is better than the Trilogy, theres no debate^^

The only reason I'd go for Demolicious is for State Of Shock, but since I recently found out that it's really just a collection of songs from the trilogy(GREEN DAY HAS BETRAYED ME), I'd just say the trilogy.

The best sounding demos are far superior to their final counterparts. Baby Eyes wins the first spot. That intro bass *-*

Sex, Drugs and Violence is another one that I find really cool. 99 revs, Carpe diem, Angel blue and Nuclear Family are great. They all sound like a radio session.

I don't know. The energy I felt from Demolicious got me excited. The Trilogy was fun but never really caught me in a "wow" moment, except Brutal Love.

Demolicious. The distortion really helped some of those songs. get rid of stay the night acoustic and add oliva or dreamcatcher and we've got a keeper here!

The SD&V demo beats the shit of the trilogy version. I imagine rusty james, LBNT, fell for you the same. Only through first 6 songs and only slight disappointment so far is carpe diem. I was hoping for something more like the first live version that debuted on youtube. Plus it's too slow compared to the 3-4 tracks before it. Drumming is really great though. Almost instantly better than most of the trilogy. Add Brutal Love, DRB, Amanda, and 8th Ave. Serenade and it's probably better than I ever thought my favorite 8 tracks from the trilogy were, which were Nuclear Family, Stay the Night, Carpe Diem, Let Yourself Go, Rusty James, Brutal Love, X-Kid, and 8th Ave. Serenade when they were first released.

Just got done listening to it, and the first thing I noticed was it doesn't sound much like their Lookout days as Mike promised on Instagram, but it does sound very rough and, well, demo-ish. The guitar sound overall is fiercer which I like, but they could've used a bit more punch rather than bite; however, there are a lot of songs where I felt the guitar was just be really hollow and boring, and I've compiled that list below. Bass is more present which is good, drums could've used some polishing, and I like the drier vocal sound but it needed to be more present and less shrill. When it comes to all the changes in song structure and performance, I felt that some of them were welcome like certain hiccups in the melody like in Angel Blue when he sings "Wakin' up the dead and everything will be alright," and then some of them really took me off guard and I wasn't too fond of them, like the key change in 99 Revolutions and the repetition of the first verse as the second in Ashley. And as for the acoustic Stay The Night, I say it is what it is. Nirvana fans knew what they were getting into when the "Sliver" and "With The Lights Out" box sets were released and they heard Kurt's old acoustic demos, so all of you guys should know going in that this acoustic version isn't gonna sound like you're hoping it will. I'll admit I wished they had gone the polished studio route for it, but for what it is, it's not too bad.

I dunno, choosing one over the other seems a bit pointless to me. There are times where the Trilogy served these songs much better, and then there are times where Demolicious hit it right out of the park; they're just two completely different monsters birthed out of the same 18 songs. However, if you twisted my arm and made me choose, I'd say Trilogy only because there's just so much more and the production helps to clean up the rough spots and be more cohesive. I like Demolicious, but the Trilogy seems like the more solid piece of work.

And now, the Demolicious songs I felt had just a shitty guitar sound:

State Of Shock

Let Yourself Go

Ashley

Fell For You

Stay The Night (started out promising with the intro but then they got all shitty)

Stray Heart

Makeout Party wasn't all that great, but it wasn't horrible

Oh Love

If Brutal Love, X-Kid, and Dirty Rotten Bastards were on Demolicious, then maybe...

Plot twist: The trilogy are the real demos of Demolicious.

The Trilogy > AI

*drops mic*

On this, as in many other things in life, quantity does not trump quality. 37 songs averaging about a C- are not greater than 13 songs averaging a solid A.

21st Century Breakdown > Demolicious

*runs and hides under the bed while awaiting the impending shitstorm about to hit*

Somehow, I agree with this. I also think that 21CB was the most godawful heap of shit that GD bothered to commit to tape until Dos came out. I'm also not really sure that Demolicious counts for comparison standard, as it's an album full of demos that were deemed not good enough to be on the Trilogy, a song deemed to be the 38th best out of 37 songs, and a shitty cell phone-quality recording of Billie Joe singing Stay the Night off-key while trying to make it sound like Good Riddance. It's not like they created a bunch of new material to make this record happen. They just threw the best of the worst together, basically.

The only reason I'd go for Demolicious is for State Of Shock, but since I recently found out that it's really just a collection of songs from the trilogy(GREEN DAY HAS BETRAYED ME), I'd just say the trilogy.

Forgive me if I'm asking a really stupid question, but what the hell did you think an album called "Demolicious" would contain?

Uno has to be the best out of this whole era. sorry

Uno was the best record of the trilogy error, I agree.

This thread makes my head hurt...

The trilogy wins, it's my favorite collection of GD music.

20090911_obama_dirty_look.jpg

Now now maybe he's never have heard another cd except for Dos in his life...

I'm sensing that this pic is going to be useful here in GDC. (Pretty much sums up what this thread is heading towards.) Oh god the deja vu. :D

W4ONnW4.png

Lol what kind of question is that? Ofcourse the trilogy is way better than the demolicious. Demolicious is bunch of unfinished, tracks with bad sound. Trilogy is a well mixed finished product.

The Trilogy > AI

*drops mic*

We all know AI is shit

Demolicious. Because distortion.

remove Fell For You, add Fuck Time, Lazy Bones, Brutal Love, X-Kid, DRB and The Forgotten and there's my personal condensed trilogy playlist...

the only thing that irritates me about demolicious is the quality, because it sounds absolutely shitty on my already shitty earphones. It's way better on my expensive headphones though, but they're too big to wear on the bus

Does no one like Tre the most out of the Trilogy? Am I the only one??

Out of the trilogy, Tre is definitely the most solid. But Demolicious is just better IMO.

You're joking, right? This is a joke.

Archived