Dookie succeeded by being unapologetically fucked up and uncompromisingly honest

desertrose

Permanent Records is an ongoing closer look at the records that matter most.

For a record that’s sold 10 million copies, it’s hard to imagine that, at one time, Green Day’s Dookie was subversive. The band’s early, underground years as a Bay Area punk band have been well documented, and given that in Dookie’s wake the band’s independent offerings (the collection of its first album and early singles, 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, and its sophomore LP, Kerplunk) would be certified gold and platinum, it’s almost even harder to imagine the group had ever been classified as obscure

When Dookie hit stores on that first day of February 1994, it was unknowingly serving as Nevermind’s follow-up. Not because of stylistic overlap, but due to Green Day’s status as a virtually unknown band jumping the ranks and setting up a seismic shock that would bring about punk rock’s heyday with the culture-at-large.

That kind of integration proved even though Green Day was on its way to superstardom, these guys were dead-set on doing it without compromise, and were attempting to take all their friends along with them.

Read complete article:

http://www.avclub.com/article/green-days-dookie-succeeded-being-unapologetically-202647

So I'm guessing no one actually read teh article then? Because it's very pro GreenDay.

Like GDC ever reads the entirety of a post before taking things out of context and going apeshit. :P

So I'm guessing no one actually read teh article then? Because it's very pro GreenDay.

Who reads things before making judgments on them? Idiot

Why would you post in a thread for an article without reading teh article or even the OP? You don't even need to click teh link to see that it's praising teh album you can see just from reading that extract.

Anyway great summing up of teh album. teh title is a brilliant way of putting it.

Not today.

Are you guys commenters on the Daily Mail website? Yay for the culture of whining about articles without reading them.

That was a really fun read! Thanks for posting it!:)

So I'm guessing no one actually read the article then? Because it's very pro GreenDay.

Céadóg how dare you be sane and rational :P

Good article BTW.

...But wait, this article's talking about Blue Night!

Relax, fangirls, the writer didn't mean that Dookie succeeded because it was a piece of shit :P

In title only :lol:

Archived