What general expectations do you have of a Green Day concert?

kataia

Todd is going to kill you :lol:

Wow, one of the thousands of people that have seen that song live. I should kill him, because I deserve that more than him?

I'll trade you seeing Disappearing Boy for Knowledge and Geek Stink Breath

I saw Geek Stink Breath, one of the few times they played it last tour. Knowledge takes too long, and the live version they do is nothing like the studio version, but I'd like to see that too

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, one of the thousands of people that have seen that song live. I should kill him, because I deserve that more than him?

Not because he saw the song. Because He's WhiteTim and he saw the song. :P

- I expect them to play the majority of popular songs ( Jesus of suburbia etc)

- I expect that they will sing and play live ( like no lip syncing like Britney Spears)

- I expect them to play relatively the same setlist they do night after night but with a few substitutions ( which could be both a con or pro)

- I expect Billie to have one of his famous speeches haha.

- lots of audience interaction- pulling people on stage, hey ohhs haha,

- and I expect to be squished like a sardine in the Pitt haha

- I expect that they play for 2 1/2 hours as well.

- but come with low expectations for their opening band lol

- i expect for the tickets to be less than $100 Canadian ( which is relatively at par with US currency)

- obviously I expect to have the time of my life!!

As above except for dookielukie :mad:

I expect them to play KFAD & wish they would pick something else

I expect billie to stuff up the lyrics of at least one song but the crowd sing on regardless

Most of all after the concert is finished I have feel happy that they came but sad cause I know it is going to be ages before they are back ;)

I really wish they would play more stuff off of Slappy Hours and Kerplunk, as well as the occasional rare track. They were pulling out all kinds of great shit during the 21st Century Breakdown tour and when they were starting the promotion for Uno it seemed like the setlists were getting even better but when they came back they became more predictable than ever. I would LOVE to hear songs like Only of You, 409 In Your Coffeemaker, Dissapearing Boy, One of My Lies, or Christie Road. They blend right in with the rest of the set because the songs have gotten more epic with age and are played for a massive stadium, not a club full of kids.

Also, it would be amazing to hear Pulling Teeth, Westbound Sign, Scattered, Church on Sunday or Blood Sex & Booze instead of King for a Day or Know Your Enemy for the billionth time. However, Green Day played a pretty predictable setlist both times I saw them and the shows were fucking epic. I guess all I really expect is to feel satisfied, and I don't think anybody has ever walked away from a Green Day show feeling disappointed.

As above except for dookielukie :mad:

I expect them to play KFAD & wish they would pick something else

I expect billie to stuff up the lyrics of at least one song but the crowd sing on regardless

Most of all after the concert is finished I have feel happy that they came but sad cause I know it is going to be ages before they are back ;)

C'mon. We all know you go to that post-concert baby batter blast.

I expect them to play the classics, the huge hits (we all know them Basket Case, Brain Stew, Hitchin' A Ride, Minority and all)

I expect them to barely play the true oldies (pre-Dookie)

I always expect Green Day to please the fans rather then teasing them (so they'll everything you wanna here, but they usually don't throw in much surprises)

I always expect al LOT of interaction with the fans, that's what makes a Green Day concert a Green Day concert.

Actually (concluding all of the above) I always expect a kind off 'standard format' in which the switch only a few (2 or 3) songs

On the one hand (as a diehard fan) it saddens me I've never heard Android, The Grouch or Horse Shoes and Handgrenades live, on the other hand I understand I am/we are quite unique in my/our way of Green Day loving and Green Day just wants the 'regular fan' to have a good time singing along with Basket Case, American Idiot and Know Your Enemy.

To me personally I really expect to cry when I see them coming on stage and starting their first song.. That's how I am, I'm about 2 meters tall and 21 years old, but when my heroes come on stage I can't keep it dry haha :lol:

-I'ma Dutchie btw, they play like only once per tour in the Netherlands, that also could be part of the reason they only play their major hits-

- i expect for the tickets to be less than $100 Canadian ( which is relatively at par with US currency)

I expect the tickets to be about €40,- which is about $55,-

Is this research paper of yours official? As in, do you hand it in for a mark or is it mandatory to some sort of course?

Indeed, I attended a course called "Understanding Popular Music" and I chose this topic as I thought I'd be easy, regarding my knowledge on that topic...

turns out, knowing too much isn't that helpful :D especially if you have a kind of emotional connection..

C'mon. We all know you go to that post-concert baby batter blast.

If you're not going to contribute anything to this thread other than being gross please don't bother.

I expect to have the time of my life pretty much, after waiting outside all day. After the show I'll be sad because it's over, probably with fractured ribs and so on. When it comes to the venue, I except them to start to play smaller venues here at least. The two last times they played stadium shows, it didn't quit work so well last time I think. I'm guessing they'll play at a a venue with the capacity for 10-20 000 next time. I would hope and prefer if they'd played at a venue that took 10 000. When it comes to the setlist, I expect them to play their most known songs, but I'm would have liked them to play pretty much all of their pre-Dookie stuff and songs from Insomniac (not brain stew and jaded).

I'd like to see them in a small venue but that's probably unachievable for most but however, i would appreciate any kind of green day show, no matter in what venue

they should at least play for 2 1/5 hours and involve the crowd as in eveny green day show

at first i missed the pyro on the trilogy tour, as i loved it on the last tour but pyro isn't that important

i imagine the setlist like on the 21stCB tour and trilogy tour whith some surprises like homecoming or so :)

but despite of those requirements, every green day show is awesome to me no matter of some particulars as listed above, i just want to see them live :)

I expect them to play the classics, the huge hits (we all know them Basket Case, Brain Stew, Hitchin' A Ride, Minority and all)

I expect them to barely play the true oldies (pre-Dookie)

I always expect Green Day to please the fans rather then teasing them (so they'll everything you wanna here, but they usually don't throw in much surprises)

I always expect al LOT of interaction with the fans, that's what makes a Green Day concert a Green Day concert.

Actually (concluding all of the above) I always expect a kind off 'standard format' in which the switch only a few (2 or 3) songs

On the one hand (as a diehard fan) it saddens me I've never heard Android, The Grouch or Horse Shoes and Handgrenades live, on the other hand I understand I am/we are quite unique in my/our way of Green Day loving and Green Day just wants the 'regular fan' to have a good time singing along with Basket Case, American Idiot and Know Your Enemy.

To me personally I really expect to cry when I see them coming on stage and starting their first song.. That's how I am, I'm about 2 meters tall and 21 years old, but when my heroes come on stage I can't keep it dry haha :lol:

-I'ma Dutchie btw, they play like only once per tour in the Netherlands, that also could be part of the reason they only play their major hits-

I expect the tickets to be about 40,- which is about $55,-

Lucky you saw them in Amsterdam then, I'd do anything to see Green Day there.

An emotional rollercoaster. Amazing and entertaining. surprise songs are great.

I want to thank all of you for your participation, it really helped me a lot! :)
If anybody is curious about the paper - feel free to send me a message and I might send you a copy back, when I'll be done.

Of course, feel free to keep commenting :happy:

When I go to Green Day concerts, I convince some fangirl that I'm Billie Joe using my massive knowledge of him. Then I tell her to blow me after the concert. Getting my dingus wet and getting milk out of my dangus is what I expect at a GD concert.

You scare me.

When I go to Blue Night concerts, I convince some fangirl that I'm Billy Jo using my massive knowledge of him. Then I tell her to blow me after teh concert. Getting my dingus wet and getting milk out of my dangus is what I expect at a bn concert.

I bet there's someone at each show dumb enough to actually fall for that

At this point, if I'm going to spend money on a Green Day show, I'd want it to be at a smaller venue like a club or theatre. I've seen them at a 20,000-seat amphitheater, and while it was awesome and fun, I don't think I'd do so again. When you're playing to 20,000 casual fans, you're going to do a greatest hits set for the most part. I got lucky, and got Platypus, The Judge's Daughter, Cigarettes & Valentines and fucking Dominated Love Slave (wow such epic Tre), but much of the time in big-venue tours, the deep cuts get passed over in favor of newer stuff and big hits. There's only so much time in a concert and I get that, but bands tend to be more experimental with their setlist at smaller venues where more of the tickets are going to the die-hard fans. Throw some new covers in there. Go Springsteen and take a bunch of song request signs from the audience, then scrap your setlist for an hour and play those instead.That's the type of show I'd want to see, not just the hits from AI and Dookie, a scattering of 21CB, a couple Trilogy songs and Minority/Good Riddance.

Special effects? I thought that the lighting, massive video screens and copious pyro (Gene Simmons must have been jealous) on the 21CB tour worked well for the larger-than-life show they were presenting by the end of the 2010 summer leg. Thing is, since that tour, I've seen the Foo Fighters deliver an arena performance that was perfect as-is, and would have actually suffered had pyro been used. I saw Roger Waters use a shitload of pyro in the opening song to complement the theme of it, then not touch the stuff again, and put on perhaps the greatest rock show I'll ever have the privilege of seeing in the meantime. I've also seen several bands at small theaters with no pyro, no lighting rig of their own, no video screens and no feather boas or drunk bunnies, and they've been great. One band is right up there with Waters. They don't go larger-than-life, they just get onstage, play the hell out of their songs and let the music alone carry the evening. That's the type of performance I'd go see Green Day again for. If I want to see them cross-dress and hey-oh for three hours, I'll watch Youtube videos at this point. There are very few artists that I'd go to an arena for at this point.

I'd also hope that the hey-ohs are restrained, and Billie Joe does less preaching and more playing.

Ultimately, I guess it comes down to this: in 2010, I thought that Green Day had a perfect show. As I've aged, so has my taste in music and concerts, and the type of show that Green Day likes to put on just isn't for me anymore. Call me when they go to smaller venues with a stripped-down, bare-bones rock show, and I'll be first in line for tickets.

Archived