Green Day Instruments

Connor Finlayson

What instruments do you use to play your favourite Green Day songs? Do you have any of the signature models?

I think we already have a thread for this.

Anyhoo. I have a Gibson Les Paul Junior which is my baby. :wub: TV Yellow like Billie's.

I think we already have a thread for this.

Anyhoo. I have a Gibson Les Paul Junior which is my baby. :wub: TV Yellow like Billie's.

That's the color of my pbass. Sexy as hell.

I believe there's a thread for this already somewhere, but as I'm on mobile right now I can't merge them. Or even find them, but there we go.

I have a Mike Dirnt P Bass in white, with a black star. I absolutely love it. I did buy an Epiphone Les Paul Junior in sunburst a few years ago, but I got rid of it as it was awful. I now play standard tuned stuff on a blonde Fender Baja Telecaster and flat tuned on a 1996 MIK Squier Telecaster, which is ivory and leopard print.

That's the color of my pbass. Sexy as hell.

I love mine, such a sexy color for an instrument.

I did buy an Epiphone Les Paul Junior in sunburst a few years ago, but I got rid of it as it was awful.

What was wrong with it?

I believe there's a thread for this already somewhere, but as I'm on mobile right now I can't merge them. Or even find them, but there we go.

I have a Mike Dirnt P Bass in white, with a black star. I absolutely love it. I did buy an Epiphone Les Paul Junior in sunburst a few years ago, but I got rid of it as it was awful. I now play standard tuned stuff on a blonde Fender Baja Telecaster and flat tuned on a 1996 MIK Squier Telecaster, which is ivory and leopard print.

I love the baja tele, if I played guitar that's what I'd play. I'm considering getting a tele bass. The ones that look like teles though and not the weird ones

I use the Billie Joe Tv Yellow Les Paul Junior doublecut signature for the really punchy GD songs (the H-90 in it seems to be a little dirtier) and for solos with really high notes, and my Billie Joe sunburst single cut Les Paul Junior for almost anything (it has a really full sound, being much thicker/bigger than the doublecut).

For Dookie/insomniac stuff I use my MIM Fender Stratocaster with a JB humbucker pickup.

All oldschool GD goes on "Baby Blue" (94 blue copy) that has a Bill Lawrence L-500XL dimebucker pickup.

All goes through my Marshall DSL40c......

yea I need to update the profile picture

on a side note, my brother owns a 57 reissue that he just rewired completely with a Seymour Duncan Antiquity P-90....and OMG it sounds the closest to actual recording for a lot of songs... but is a little twangy at times (my favorite pickup is a tie between the H-90 and that Antiquity)

I use the Billie Joe Tv Yellow Les Paul Junior doublecut signature for the really punchy GD songs (the H-90 in it seems to be a little dirtier) and for solos with really high notes, and my Billie Joe sunburst single cut Les Paul Junior for almost anything (it has a really full sound, being much thicker/bigger than the doublecut).

For Dookie/insomniac stuff I use my MIM Fender Stratocaster with a JB humbucker pickup.

All oldschool GD goes on "Baby Blue" (94 blue copy) that has a Bill Lawrence L-500XL dimebucker pickup.

All goes through my Marshall DSL40c......

yea I need to update the profile picture

How do you afford all this? :cry:

I have two LP Junior copies: one's a TV yellow Dillion, an almost exact carbon copy of a '58 double-cut Junior like Billie's recent main guitar. It's a beautiful, well-built, great-sounding axe that gets me pretty close to the guitar sound that's been on the band's records since Warning. The other is a sunburst Epiphone that the previous owner had modified with new pots and a Duncan Phat Cat pickup. It used to be my main guitar, but in comparison to the Dillion, it's a lot more like the flat-tuned songs that GD plays in their shows, so now it's my main flat-tuned guitar. I do have a Squier Strat with a bridge humbucker (my very first guitar) that I use from time to time as a flat-tuned-or-lower guitar, but I don't use it too often 'cause the intonation needs to be fixed and I'm a lazy person with little money. I string up all my electric guitars with Ernie Ball Cobalt 10's. Very bright, very clear, very punchy, perfect for the stuff I play.

All this goes through an Ibanez TS9 set to the same settings as Billie's Boss Blues Driver, and it's run into a Vox Valvetronix VT30, with the attenuator set to around roughly 10 or 15 watts, both master and gain volumes cranked, amp model set at "Modded Clean" (it's supposed to be modeled after a Dumble-modified Fender Showman, but it sounds a lot more like Billie's Marshalls), gain set fairly high at around 2 or 3 o'clock (it's a very clean sounding amp model, so I need to push the gain just to get a crunchy sound), and the EQ flat at 12 o'clock with the treble pushed juuuuust a touch.

For bass, I have a Squier P-Bass, all stock except for the pickguard which is a nice tortoise-shell red, strung up with regular Ernie Ball Slinkys. That goes directly into my Ampeg BA110 combo, volume set fairly low 'cause any more and it gets pretty loud, and the EQ flat at 7 or so with the bass pulled back a bit. I wish the BA110 had a gain control so I could give the bass sound a bit more dimension, but it is what it is.

Nah no replicas, I play an Epiphone Thunderbird and a Cort of some sort electric guitar, I dunno the model :P

I had a Mike Dirnt Precision Bass for about a week in 2005. I hated it, and ended up trading it for my black/black/rosewood '04 American P-Bass. Now all I play are that and a lightweight black/black/maple Precision built for me in 2007 by Certainbass.

I also have a baby blue Korean Stray which at one point I had turned into a Blue replica. For the life of me, I can't find anyoif the pictures of it from before all the stickers/tape came off.

I have one guitar and one bass. My guitar is a cherry sunburst Epiphone Les Paul Special II and my bass is a shitty gear4music bass with terrible pickups.

I had a Mike Dirnt Precision Bass for about a week in 2005. I hated it, and ended up trading it for my black/black/rosewood '04 American P-Bass. Now all I play are that and a lightweight black/black/maple Precision built for me in 2007 by Certainbass.

I also have a baby blue Korean Stray which at one point I had turned into a Blue replica. For the life of me, I can't find anyoif the pictures of it from before all the stickers/tape came off.

What didn't you like about the Dirnt?

What didn't you like about the Dirnt?

Didn't like the way it played, or the sound of the pickup, which I think was supposed to be a Custom Shop '59? The whole thing felt kind of slapped together. It was the first production run, which have had something to do with that.

I have the BJA Doublecut junior and it is great. Especially through a Marshall. It sounds ok with an overdriven sound, but I generally keep my gain at 4 or 5. I use that for Nimrod on. For Insomniac and back, I use my cheap Squire Strat that sounds great as well through a Marshall. I keep the Strat in flat tuning.

How do you afford all this? :cry:

Saved up..for a while.... waited for the perfect chance to get em

I love the baja tele, if I played guitar that's what I'd play. I'm considering getting a tele bass. The ones that look like teles though and not the weird ones

It's honestly the second best guitar I've ever played, behind my Korean Squier Tele. People usually laugh at me when I say that, but then they play the Squier and are amazed. I really struck gold with that one, I don't know how but it's just magic. The neck is green from how much I've played it.

The Baja is great though, the phase switcher on the pickups means you can get a very convincing humbucker sound, as well as the obvious Telecaster tonal options. It's so versatile it's unbelievable.

Nah no replicas, I play an Epiphone Thunderbird and a Cort of some sort electric guitar, I dunno the model :P

I've got a Thunderbird too :D

No one will ever understand how much I want $3000 right now.

I understand. That thing is sexy as fuck.

That´s what I actually have guitar-whise:

k6dkb2g9.jpg

Guitars from left to right

Fender 50s Classic Stratocaster with a slanted Seymour Duncan SH-4 at the brige ... that´s my kind of Blue, but rather a copy if Billie´s Strat that he´s been using at Basket Case in Bullet in a Bible or that MTV Live Show in Italy, back in 2005.

Yamaha Pacifica 112: My very first electric guitar ... I´m thinking about throwing a Seymour Duncan SH-4 in as well.

Gibson Les Paul Jr. (BJA Signature): I replaced the original H90 pickup with a Seymour Duncan Antiquity. So this one´s pretty much the same as Billie Joe´s silver sparkling Jr.

Gibson Les Paul Studio: My first Gibson, replaced the pickus with a Seymour Duncan SH-4 and SH-1n (Hot Rodded Humbucker Set). I did pretty much everything with that guitar (all kind of mods and different wirings), it´s somehow my "Frankenstein". It´s currently not working because there´s something wrong with the electronics, hope to fix that soon. The binding is actually just sticked on, probably remove it by the next opportunity.

Gibson Les Paul Jr. (1958 Reissue): That one´s a real working horse. Due the contrast you can´t actually see that the lacquer is wearing off because of my heavy struming, but this one´s really fucked up. It got signed by Prima Donna (GD support band back in 2009 ... their singer Kevin is 2nd guitarist of the Foxboro Hot Tubs) at one of their shows.

You can see two acoustic guitars on the very left. That´s my Faith Eclipse Venus (not a well known company, but they build absolutely superior handmade guitars for great prices) and a cheap ass no-name guitar. I got another classic guitar (my very first guitar ever), but it´s actuallly sleeping in a bag on the top of my shel for years now.

The amp is a Marshall 1959 Super Lead Plexi head with the Dookie mod - just got it today. Absolutely the same amp Dookie was recorded with (and pretty much all further records as well ... just in combination with other amps). Billie Joe and Jason play that amp still live today (together with another Plexi head with the SE Lead mod). The cab is a Marshall 1960B with Celestion V30´s. I have two another Marshall 4x12 cabs here, but they´ll be sold soon.

I got some more amps (Fender Frontman 212R and Roland Micro Cube), but this one´s pretty much the only amp I really use. Got a Yamaha keyboard and Sonor drumkit (a really nice old one, Made in Germany), as well hella lot of recording equipment (I´m currently setting up a little home studio for band recordings).

Cheers,

Luke

Archived