Green Day lyrics about recovery

BrutalLove

The band almost broke up because Billie was being bossy and didn't want to listen to Mike and Tre's ideas

Just because you're a cutie doesn't mean you get to make all the decisions.

I bet he was manstruating. :ninja:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really, honestly. I mean yeah there is interpretations and I think it's great when people do that, but that doesn't mean everybody is always right. If you think American Idiot is about seal clubbing, for instance, you are totally wrong. Starting a topic like this is such a specific thing that it's crazy if you just want to post songs that helped you recover through something at all? That's way too broad, that is literally anything and most likely a huge chunk of all their songs for us here on GDC.

What has seal clubbing got to do with anything? The point is that lyrics can be interpreted in a variety of ways. Billie has even said himself that he likes it when people find their own interpretations of his songs. Like WMUWSE being interpreted as a 9/11 reference when it was initially about his dad, for example. Obviously no one would ever think American Idiot is about seal clubbing because there's nothing in the lyric that would remotely suggest that. I think you're intentionally missing the point. I don't honestly know what's wrong with the question at all. I guess it could be considered broad, but that just means there's more to discuss.

What has seal clubbing got to do with anything? The point is that lyrics can be interpreted in a variety of ways. Billie has even said himself that he likes it when people find their own interpretations of his songs. Like WMUWSE being interpreted as a 9/11 reference when it was initially about his dad, for example. Obviously no one would ever think American Idiot is about seal clubbing because there's nothing in the lyric that would remotely suggest that. I think you're intentionally missing the point. I don't honestly know what's wrong with the question at all. I guess it could be considered broad, but that just means there's more to discuss.

An artist wanting people to find their own meaning does not equal asking people what their favourite lyric about recovery is when there aren't really any lyrics explicitly about that, and everything is up to how people say it. Do you really not see how people thinking WMUWSE is about 9/11 is different than people assuming any song they want is about "recovery?" Just because I used Playtpus to help me recover through an illness doesn't mean it's my favourite song about recovery.

Also why did you close a thread somebody made for Green Day maybe getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (an actual news topic, it would've made more sense in that case to have two threads since the initial one hadn't been used in a while. I'm not saying we need two, I'm just saying it would've made a bit more sense) yet you leave this thread open, a thread that not only has been discussed to death (I am sure you could go look find a thread that's basically the exact same as this one) and is also too broad to warrant any good discussion? I don't know man, it's just stupid as hell. I don't care, whatever hahaha.

An artist wanting people to find their own meaning does not equal asking people what their favourite lyric about recovery is when there aren't really any lyrics explicitly about that, and everything is up to how people say it. Do you really not see how people thinking WMUWSE is about 9/11 is different than people assuming any song they want is about "recovery?" Just because I used Playtpus to help me recover through an illness doesn't mean it's my favourite song about recovery.

Also why did you close a thread somebody made for Green Day maybe getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (an actual news topic, it would've made more sense in that case to have two threads since the initial one hadn't been used in a while. I'm not saying we need two, I'm just saying it would've made a bit more sense) yet you leave this thread open, a thread that not only has been discussed to death (I am sure you could go look find a thread that's basically the exact same as this one) and is also too broad to warrant any good discussion? I don't know man, it's just stupid as hell. I don't care, whatever hahaha.

Of course I see how it's different to WMUWSE, but that doesn't mean people aren't allowed to discuss it. Maybe people just want to talk about their interpretations of certain lyrics. Nothing wrong with that.

As for the hall of fame thread, we already had one, so I closed the new one and directed everyone to the old thread. Which is how we deal with duplicate threads. That way we don't have two threads full of people talking about the same thing, because doing that inhibits discussion. Nothing "stupid as hell" about it, "hahahaha."

I like Church On Sunday. Billie does tend to write about being in the thick of emotion - tearing shit down rather than building it up again - but this is definitely a recovery song. This is a bit of a broken up lyric but "I'll die for you, and this compromise" has always stayed with me. I remember listening to Green Day as a young teenager and being taught that even a bond so strong as marriage can be broken, but it also can be mended if you both make scarifies.

I always thought "Bloodshot deadbeat and lack of sleep

Making your mascara bleed

Tears down your face

Leaving traces of my mistakes" was some of the greatest lyrics Billie ever wrote

Yeah, definitely. :) Church On Sunday is really underrated. They're my favourite lyrics of the song but I didn't wanna post them since they're not technically about recovery.

Good point, I probably should have put it in unpopular opinions haha

Archived