Last live song to be played from Green Day...

midschool22

Homecoming would be awesome, but I think Haushinka would really be great as a last song. That song to me sort of encapsules what the band is all about. Also, I buy stock in the theory that Green Day won't ever really have a true "final show." What bands ever really have, besides The Ramones?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Riddance would be the only acceptable choice (and it probably will actually be the last song they ever play which is cool). They'd have to precede it with something brilliant from the whole band though, I'd say Homecoming with Mike and Tre getting to sing their parts would be perfect.

I don't want to drag the thread don't even further, but here's something to consider: nobody wants to think about this, but it's just as likely to happen as the proposed scenario in the original post.

What if we don't know they played their final show until it's too late? Billie always said he would play in this band until the day he dies. Can't discount the possibility that they never have a chance to give a proper farewell performance.

This is true, however the end of every show is already like a farewell to the crowd, you already feel like you're saying goodbye to them. If the last show they played before that happened was a usual show where everyone had a great time and then they finished off with Good Riddance I think that'd be fine, might be better than if everyone knew it was the last one seeing as that would probably give it a weird and sombre vibe.

Good Riddance is absolutely the worst possible choice for Green Day to end on, because whilst the lyrics may suit the mood, it's perhaps their only song that does not involve Tre and Mike in the performance. It's more of a Billie Joe showcase, so for you all to want GD to sign off with only 1/3rd of the band....shame

I'm of the belief that they're not the kind of band who need a farewell show, per se. Every time I've seen them, at the end of Good Riddance I've always been well aware that it might be the last time I ever see them, which is emotional enough in itself but something that's relatively easy to accept given how they always end their shows absolutely perfectly. Mike and Tre coming back out while the lights are still down at the end of Good Riddance to wave to the crowd is a brilliant touch.

Good Riddance is absolutely the worst possible choice for Green Day to end on, because whilst the lyrics may suit the mood, it's perhaps their only song that does not involve Tre and Mike in the performance. It's more of a Billie Joe showcase, so for you all to want GD to sign off with only 1/3rd of the band....shame

It's about the content of the song, though. It's the perfect song to sign off on in terms of the song itself. Like Hermione said, if it came after something like a full performance of Homecoming it'd be perfect.

They should put on their last show as Sweet Children, and play a setlist consisting only of 39/Smooth, 1000 Hours, Slappy, and Sweet Children songs (and then end with Holden Caulfield)

Good thing there's no negative rep :P

They should put on their last show as Sweet Children, and play a setlist consisting only of 39/Smooth, 1000 Hours, Slappy, and Sweet Children songs (and then end with Holden Caulfield)

Good thing there's no negative rep :P

Well they don't play any of those songs often enough, I'll give you that :P

What if we don't know they played their final show until it's too late? Billie always said he would play in this band until the day he dies. Can't discount the possibility that they never have a chance to give a proper farewell performance.

Lots of performers say that. Comparatively few fulfill the promise, and I'm happy for that. Green Day aren't the Rolling Stones. They won't be performing together into their 60's.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but Ceadog and I have already expounded at length in other threads about how we think they'll break up within the next five years.

I wouldn't be shocked, especially if there's another Trilogy-tank in there. At some point, and I think we're inching towards it, Billie Joe is going to get tired of singing songs about masturbation to 15-year-old girls and shift his focus more to his Broadway and artsy-fartsy side projects.

As to the final song? It'll probably be Good Riddance, but you'd hope that they'd return to the Bay Area for their final show (maybe even 924 Gilman?) and have Billie Joe do Good Riddance, then come back out for one final encore of Homecoming.

'Breaking up' isn't Green Day's style. Anyone who thinks they will formally break up is quite simply wrong; they may stop performing, touring and writing together for increasingly (decade +) amounts of time, but they won't cease to exist. I can see them doing shows into their 60's. That is exactly the type of band Green Day are, and exactly the types of people they are.

The last song? Who knows. Who cares. It's literally impossible to say.

Lots of performers say that. Comparatively few fulfill the promise, and I'm happy for that. Green Day aren't the Rolling Stones. They won't be performing together into their 60's.

What makes you think that? They live for making music and performing and unlike many bands they're actually really good friends both inside and outside the band, literally best friends in the case of Mike and Billie. If there's a band around at the moment that still has a good chance of being together when they're much older I'd say Green Day is it.

Also there's nothing that crazy about wanting to perform music in your 60s, you don't just stop being interested in doing something you love just because you're older. My dad's still playing in bands at 57 and pretty sure if he can do it Green Day can :lol:

At the library or Why do you want him....for obvious reasons duh!

Obvious reasons? Not really that obvious. Can you explain?

Obvious reasons? Not really that obvious. Can you explain?

hahaha well At the library...Green Day´s first song on their first LP and Why do you want him was apparently the first song Billie wrote for Green Day. So you know that would be very nostalgic to the band although maybe not so much to the 14 year old at the concert that barely knows what an LP is.

hahaha well At the library...Green Day´s first song on their first LP and Why do you want him was apparently the first song Billie wrote for Green Day. So you know that would be very nostalgic to the band although maybe not so much to the 14 year old at the concert that barely knows what an LP is.

why choose At the Library over 1000 Hours? That was their real first song

why choose At the Library over 1000 Hours? That was their real first song

but that was their first ep right not full record? and 1000 hours ugh dont know...even Billie cringes when talking about that song

but that was their first ep right not full record? and 1000 hours ugh dont know...even Billie cringes when talking about that song

Lol it doesn't matter. That's still their first song :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Jesus Of Suburbia... maybe Redundant... maybe Words I Might Have Ate

But i think the Jesus Of Suburbia is the best for the last!! xx

Lol it doesn't matter. That's still their first song :P

They wrote other songs before it though. They should go with Best Thing In Town :P

They wrote other songs before it though. They should go with Best Thing In Town :P

Anything before that though, probably had very little contribution as a group, I'd say Billie did most of that stuff himself.

Archived