Misconceptions you had about Green Day as a new fan

Todd

My elementary school jazz choir always sang "Good Riddance" during their final performance in June every year. Then when I became a Green Day fan when I was eleven, I was so shocked that it was their song! It was used everywhere, so I thought it was by an old guy in the 1970s or something.

(On a side note, I was completely obsessed with Green Day, so I auditioned to be in jazz choir just so I could sing that song at the end of the year. I got in, but then choir was cancelled for the year.)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I got to know Green Day only about two and a half years ago, I was so excited to have found a new band. I mean... a really new band! So I told everybody that I had found a newcomer band - me, who doesn´t have a clue of music and bands - and everybody was going "yawn... old... once were quite nice... no... but you should listen to this and that band..." So I learned that Green Day were already dinosaurs in music biz, and I was a pretty late OldPunk (hi Oxymore, that´s the truth about me... :D ) ... :cry:

Short time later I found the musical CD of AI, and that made clear they were an old band... no one would make a musical that quick if the band was just out of the egg... I´m so behind time... :blink:

Since I became a fan only last summer, when I first listened to Kill The DJ I thought it was classical Green Day style.

I also thought Horseshoes and Handgrenades was one of the most popular Green Day songs.

Since I became a fan only last summer, when I first listened to Kill The DJ I thought it was classical Green Day style.

I also thought Horseshoes and Handgrenades was one of the most popular Green Day songs.

OMG that's one of the best misconceptions of this thread :lol:

Basket Case

I don't understand what you mean. Can you rephrase this post?

I thought Billie Joe Armstrong was cruel and that Mike and Tré laughing was rubbing it in. Then when I heard that song off of Dookie, I was disappointed that they had written it because I actually liked the song.

[Edit:] Ooooh, nevermind. I get it now.

I'm afraid I don't get it, could one of you explain a bit more?

I'm afraid I don't get it, could one of you explain a bit more?

Eternity thought Billie was a cruel person (the misconception) and because of this was upset that a song they'd liked was by the band.

For a long time, before it ever listened or bought Shenanigans, I read online the track list and it said stuff like:

10. "Sick of Me" (from "Hitchin' a Ride", 1997)

11. "Rotting" (from "Good Riddance", 1997)

12. "Do Da Da" (from "Brain Stew/Jaded", 1996)

13. "On the Wagon" (from "Longview", 1994)

I had no clue what it meant by "From Longview" and how some singles had extra bonus songs, so I assumed parts of the singles were used in these sings like the instrumental and thought the songs were just the same thing with different lyrics.mi don't know why but now that I think of it, it was kinda foolish of me :/

omg same!!! I thought they were like a second part of the original song lol

I thought 21st Century Breakdown told a story and was trying to figure out what the story was for a while, then realized it didnt tell and a story and just had reoccurring characters and I got stuff on Nimrod and Insomiac confused (i thought Platypus was on Insomniac and Walking Contradiction was on Nimrod). I was told Stop, Drop, and Roll!! was around a 15 minute album with only 6 songs, i didnt know Highway 1 existed either. I think thats it for now :3333

Eternity thought Billie was a cruel person (the misconception) and because of this was upset that a song they'd liked was by the band.

I get that bit but the thing about Mike and Tre laughing is still going over my head.

Ahh I see. Eternity why'd you think that about Billie and where did Mike and Tre laughing come into it? You've made me curious.

When I first got into them I read an article about them in a magazine that had Mike labelled as Tre in a photo, and Tre labelled as Mike. So for ages I thought Mike was Tre and Tre was Mike :lol:

When I knew that the drummer was called Tre, I thought his real name was Trevor and I was telling everybody that the drummer was some guy called Trevor lol

I also used to think that Tré was Mike and Mike was Tré. Until my friend told it was the opposite and I, stubborn as fuck, said she was wrong. So we bet...

:lol:

When I bought American Idiot, I thought I'd heard BoBD on a Christian radio station but I'd just heard it in the background on regular stations.

I also used to think that Tré was Mike and Mike was Tré. Until my friend told it was the opposite and I, stubborn as fuck, said she was wrong. So we bet...

:lol:

When I first got into Green Day, I thought Mike and Tre looked a lot alike and I always got them mixed up. "That's the drummer. No wait, that one is!"

I thought 21st Century Breakdown told a story and was trying to figure out what the story was for a while, then realized it didnt tell and a story and just had reoccurring characters and I got stuff on Nimrod and Insomiac confused (i thought Platypus was on Insomniac and Walking Contradiction was on Nimrod). I was told Stop, Drop, and Roll!! was around a 15 minute album with only 6 songs, i didnt know Highway 1 existed either. I think thats it for now :3333

The Stop Drop and Roll EP from 2007 was 6 songs with Highway 1, and then the full album came out the next year with 12 songs minus highway 1

The Stop Drop and Roll EP from 2007 was 6 songs with Highway 1, and then the full album came out the next year with 12 songs minus highway 1

Was there an actual EP or is that just what you call their Myspace account?

Was there an actual EP or is that just what you call their Myspace account?

It was a digital EP from the myspace. It has a slightly different cover

Wonder why Highway 1 was not included on the retail

Wonder why Highway 1 was not included on the retail

I heard they thought it sounded too close to Stop, Drop, & Roll but when has that ever stopped them hah

Bear in mind I was 8, I thought Billie Joe was black?

How did that happen?

Ahh I see. Eternity why'd you think that about Billie and where did Mike and Tre laughing come into it? You've made me curious.

Mike and Tre were laughing at something Billie said on television, and I felt what he was saying was cruel... which made their laughing about it worse. I have been looking for video of it for years.... it is a part of pubic domain and since I do not have the info for what channel it was on or the exact date, it is proving to be difficult to locate. Maybe if I was able to see it again, my thoughts about it would change... or I might see it differently. There were some good parts in it, a poem and a few songs, one of the songs being about using a washing machine... the other song I did not get to hear because someone put it on mute before I could hear any of it. Because I have not found it, I feel like I am part of a mean joke... It doesn't make for good feelings when you can not prove that something you saw existed. Will something that is from my teenage memories ever surface or will I be always considered as crazy for thinking too much about someone's writing that no one can find?

Archived