Misconceptions you had about Green Day as a new fan

Todd

Tre is pretty good on a technical level, in that there's some jazz influence there and it really makes him stand out in pop-punk. Compare him to the hundreds of other punk drummers who just have a splashy hi-hat and a bog standard 1-2 beat and he is pretty creative. He's not Travis Barker, but he seems to have a better ear for a song than Travis, and I guess "play the song, not the instrument" sums it up pretty well. But in the grand scheme of things? Well, he's never going to be Neil Peart, is he? But I guess the beauty of the genre means he doesn't need to be.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figured that since J.A.R was wrote by Mike it must of been him singing and he just had an almost identical voice to Billie!

In your defense, his backing vocals are mixed pretty high on that song.

What great hi-hat stuff are we talking about - what examples?

I used to mildly disapprove of them for doing drugs.

It's true, it is kind of hard to explain. The first song the comes to mind is Stay the Night though. In the verses, he does these little rolls of 16th notes on the hats, along with accenting some notes with an open hat. I don't know what you would call it...maybe a sizzle?

I think he does some similar stuff in JAR too.

Tre is pretty good on a technical level, in that there's some jazz influence there and it really makes him stand out in pop-punk. Compare him to the hundreds of other punk drummers who just have a splashy hi-hat and a bog standard 1-2 beat and he is pretty creative. He's not Travis Barker, but he seems to have a better ear for a song than Travis, and I guess "play the song, not the instrument" sums it up pretty well. But in the grand scheme of things? Well, he's never going to be Neil Peart, is he? But I guess the beauty of the genre means he doesn't need to be.

That's the problem with Travis Barker; to me, he sounds like a decent drummer, but the stuff he does is just too complicated for the songs Blink plays.

It's true, it is kind of hard to explain. The first song the comes to mind is Stay the Night though. In the verses, he does these little rolls of 16th notes on the hats, along with accenting some notes with an open hat. I don't know what you would call it...maybe a sizzle?

I think he does some similar stuff in JAR too.

I'll have to listen out for that kinda stuff. Sounds pretty nifty.

All of you saying "I used to think Tre was one of the best drummers ever", don't be deceived by flashing playing, Tre was and still is one of the tightest drummers in the world.

I first heard about Green Day through the Simpons, I truly thought they were a made up band just for the movie.

All of you saying "I used to think Tre was one of the best drummers ever", don't be deceived by flashing playing, Tre was and still is one of the tightest drummers in the world.

Being tight is all well and good, but there are hundreds of drummers just as tight but far more technical.

Well I was about 9 so I had thought that American Idiot was their first album but too my suprise it sure as hell wasn't.

----> ME 1e99ac90ebd134171a9294853eb27aee361fb026

There's no doubt he and Mike are one of the tightest rhythm sections in the world, but there are drummers out there who are just as tight and far more technical at the same time.

The big picture next to the lyrics for Emenius Sleepus in the Dookie booklet. I had a lot of trouble figuring out if that was really Tré or Layne Staley.

I thought it was always Billie singing when it was Tré or Mike (All by Myself, Dominated Love Slave, Homecoming) for some reason I thought Billie could do these different voices or maybe I thought they all sounded very alike. :lol:

The first ever copy of amercian idiot I had was like 2 quid off one of them guys who sell illegal copies and I homecoming used to cut out and I just thought that it was part of the track i think I bought Dookie and nimrod amd a couple more before I Re bought AN to release half the fucking song was missing

I thought it was always Billie singing when it was Tré or Mike (All by Myself, Dominated Love Slave, Homecoming) for some reason I thought Billie could do these different voices or maybe I thought they all sounded very alike. :lol:

Yes! I just thought that Billie change his voice. Eventually I realized it was two different people.

I thought Shenanigans was just another studio album, just like Todd. I was 10, and back then I thought the covers were originally theirs until my dad was all like "WTF are you talking about? Those were by the Ramones and The Kinks!" (he didn't listen to Fang :P ). Oh, I did think Dookie was their first album for like a month, then somebody (I don't remember who the fuck it was) told me about 1,039.

Besides that, I can't think of anything.

I thought the fang cover was theirs for the longest time :P

Yes! I just thought that Billie change his voice. Eventually I realized it was two different people.

Took me a long time to figure out the difference between Mike's and Billie's voices in AI and 21CB. Tre...let's just he's distinctive enough to my ears.

Took me a long time to figure out the difference between Mike's and Billie's voices in AI and 21CB. Tre...let's just he's distinctive enough to my ears.

Tre is a very special kind of person.

I was introduced to Green Day via Dookie when I was about 10 so I though they were a younger band until I realized they had way too much music out for a relatively new band.

I thought that WMUWSE was about going back to school in the fall.

Archived