Misconceptions you had about Green Day as a new fan

Todd

When I got into them in 1995, I thought nobody else liked them and that I am going to suffer for liking something nobody likes.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first saw the clips on TV and heard about their music on Youtube in 2008/2009, I thought they were 25 years-old.

I bet Longview was fun at that age.

A guy I used to be friends with back in the days was playing it to his nephews who were 3-5 years old solely to laugh at how they sing about masturbation.

I used to think American Idiot was their first album, until I saw the bit on Bullet in a Bible where Billie says 'we've been a band now for the last 16 years', and I was like:

31450808.jpg

Back in 2009 when KYE came out, I remember seeing the music video on tv (lol who watches music videos on tv anymore) and liking the song :P

I heard it on the radio and I was jumping up and down listening to this song and I thought it was St Jimmy and not KYE :lol:

When i first got into GD around 2004-05 i was watching vids and they were on TRL and they were kissing i thought they were GAY .

I thought that Dookie was their first album and couldn't understand the ponit on having a live album with only 7 songs (BBBPP)

For some reason, I thought the recording industry had rules specifying that a band's first album must be self-titled. And then I couldn't find an album that was just called Green Day.

I also thought that, after listening to the Woodstock bootleg, Billie Joe's stage/singing voice and natural speaking voice were one and the same.

I always thought I wouldn't hear Maria in good quality

To all the guys saying Tré isnt the best drummer in the world:

How good is he in relation?

I was always wondering and recently found out how important a drummer for band is, knowing tre is a pretty good one but not the best, soo... ? :)

I also thought that, after listening to the Woodstock bootleg, Billie Joe's stage/singing voice and natural speaking voice were one and the same.

I thought the same thing. :D I was more surprised when I heard what Tre's voice really sounds like though.

Another one: when high Billie does this random rant about pet rocks before She during Jaded in Chicago I wondered whether he still does that, considering that (going by bootlegs) he seemed to do that almost every dang time during the Dookie era. :P And then I learned that he's now 'hey ohs' and 'let's go fucking crazy.' :D

I bet Longview was fun at that age.

I really liked longview, basket case, chump and FOD. Not like I understood what any of them were about.

I thought Shenanigans was just another studio album, just like Todd. I was 10, and back then I thought the covers were originally theirs until my dad was all like "WTF are you talking about? Those were by the Ramones and The Kinks!" (he didn't listen to Fang :P ). Oh, I did think Dookie was their first album for like a month, then somebody (I don't remember who the fuck it was) told me about 1,039.

Besides that, I can't think of anything.

Oh, when I first got into them I downloaded a random selection of songs from a really sketchy mp3 site. There was an absolutely shit cover of When I Come Around that was labelled as Green Day, so I thought it was them, and I hated it. When I discovered the original a few months later I was confused, but it instantly became one of my favourite songs.

I used to think they were bad people cuz they swore and did drugs (mind you, I was a brainwashed 9 year old soooo) :P

I used to think they were bad people cuz they swore and did drugs (mind you, I was a brainwashed 9 year old soooo) :P

But you were right lol jk

#shotsfired

Lol naw if cussing makes you bad then im one of the baddest fuckers around lol (tho I need to try to cut back on that)

i didnt have any real misconceptions tbh, as soon as i heard AI, i researched the band like crazy :lol: hearing their speaking voices freaked me out, though. i was like 'THE FUCK KINDA ACCENT IS THAT'.

To all the guys saying Tré isnt the best drummer in the world:

How good is he in relation?

I was always wondering and recently found out how important a drummer for band is, knowing tre is a pretty good one but not the best, soo... ? :)

He's a pretty decent drummer. In the pop-punk genre he's near the top. A lot of the high hat stuff he does no one else does.

In the grand scale of things he's pretty low. He's not very creative and rarely shows off anything other than the occasional fill.

He's a pretty decent drummer. In the pop-punk genre he's near the top. A lot of the high hat stuff he does no one else does.

In the grand scale of things he's pretty low. He's not very creative and rarely shows off anything other than the occasional fill.

That's a great point regarding his hi-hat work. It's subtle sometimes too, easy to miss if you're not paying attention.

That's a great point regarding his hi-hat work. It's subtle sometimes too, easy to miss if you're not paying attention.

Yeah my brother loves it. He says it's the only thing he'd miss if Tré quit GD :P

I figured that since J.A.R was wrote by Mike it must of been him singing and he just had an almost identical voice to Billie!

What great hi-hat stuff are we talking about - what examples?

I used to mildly disapprove of them for doing drugs.

It's quite subtle so I'm not sure exactly how to explain it.

I guess it's just that he adds in a lot of beats on the high hats that most punk drummers don't bother with. It's the kind of thing drummers and music nerds jizz over, but it's not really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

i still do that :P

Archived