Misconceptions you had about Green Day as a new fan

Todd

the first song I heard of them was American Idiot, on MTV because my sister watched modern music, and I thought they were young kids who just complained about the government, so I didn't like them. then I realized they wrote Basket Case and when I saw that music video on MTV (at the certain time in the morning where they played one 90s song per hour) and loved it! so I was like huh, they must be okay, since they had been around that long. and bought International SuperHits and was so confused on which songs went where lol. I think I also thought that 21st CBD and AI were like the same album, when I'd see 21st artwork I just thought it was something from AI.

and of course, when I started into them (especially since INSH didn't have any pre dookie) I thought Dookie was their first album :lol: I thought Kerplunk was more of a live or demo album, just the cover made me think that. and I thought Insomniac was just a different album by a different band named 'Green Day' lol. it looked too heavy metal type by the artwork!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the beginning I was in honest doubt about whether it was spelled "green day" or "greenday", mainly due to seeing an equal amount of mp3's which suggested either.

And like someone has already said, I too remember having weird tracks laying around my mp3-player which I thought was Green Day. Back then it seemed like the quickest way to get a hold of specific music was to go on LimeWire (or similar) and download the songs individually, so I'd do a bunch of "green day"/"greenday" searches, and download whatever seemed most legit, or should I say "least sketchy". I don't recall them all, but there was a handful, one in particular called "Give Up The Grudge" by whoever, and then a few amateur recordings.

This also lead me to believe that "Dearly Beloved" and "Tales From Another Broken Home" were individual songs, as I heard them on seperate tracks before I heard Jesus Of Surburbia, which I avoided to download for a while because I didn't think 9+ minutes in length sounded like a legit file, I thought it was a hoax or a virus.

I feel like there was a bunch of more things that I understood incorrectly, but I'm afraid I've replaced these misconceptions with reality over the years :)

I honestly don't know why I thought this but I thought that they were racist because someone I knew had their Green Day songs on shuffle and they played American Eulogy (the modder is a compulsive liar when he says it's just a bunch of...) and right after it they played Platypus and I thought they were on the same album...

When i started off as a new fan, i thought all of the guys we're single and that Billie, Mike and Tré were the only ones in the band. :lol:

I didn't figure out more of this information until i bought Bullet In A Bible, and when i was watching it i got confused on why there was more band members with them lol.

For the longest time, i thought Coming Clean was about Billie coming out of the closet and saying he was bisexual. It wasn't until one of my friends said, "Um Jen, he's singing about sex" and i was like this :o the whole time and felt embarrassed.

At two points in my life, i used to think that American Idiot was their first album, and that they were like 34 years old all the time :lol: that's all they ever look like anymore, is them being in their mid - 30's and it confused me lol :lol:

I don't remember why, but I thought Billie had recently gotten married.

For the longest time, i thought Coming Clean was about Billie coming out of the closet and saying he was bisexual. It wasn't until one of my friends said, "Um Jen, he's singing about sex" and i was like this :o the whole time and felt embarrassed.

I'm pretty sure he's said before that Coming Clean is about him being a bisexual, and a tiny part of Basket Case as well.

I don't remember why, but I thought Billie had recently gotten married.

So did I, but it was true at the time. :o

I'm pretty sure he's said before that Coming Clean is about him being a bisexual, and a tiny part of Basket Case as well.

I know, i sometimes still think it is, but i don't understand the song good enough because there are parts that kind of relate to the sex part. But when i hear the whole song, and not hearing those few lines alone, i think differently about it. It's rather confusing =/

I know, i sometimes still think it is, but i don't understand the song good enough because there are parts that kind of relate to the sex part. But when i hear the whole song, and not hearing those few lines alone, i think differently about it. It's rather confusing =/

Sexuality, sex. It all kind of goes together.

Sexuality, sex. It all kind of goes together.

That's what i was thinking, it's probably that.

That's what i was thinking, it's probably that.

I've never interpreted it as being about sex. So that's just me.

I've never interpreted it as being about sex. So that's just me.

I never did either, even when i first listened to that song, i didn't really think about it all that much lol

I got into Green Day a few months before they announced Uno! The first song I heard was "Wake Me Up When September Ends". I liked it, so I listened to the rest of American Idiot and BIAB. When I first listened to "Time of Your Life" I was in disbelief because I heard that song in every single graduation I ever attended and I thought that some country band wrote it. I finally got around to listening to 21st Century Breakdown and I was disappointed that Green Day wrote the song that I always used to make fun of "Know Your Enemy" *shudders*. When I finally finished their whole catalogue, I was blown away by how many songs I heard in the past that I didn't know Green Day wrote.

I never did either, even when i first listened to that song, i didn't really think about it all that much lol

If you try hard enough a lot of their songs could be sexual.

If you try hard enough a lot of their songs could be sexual.

:lol: i think Dominated Love Slave kind of defines that :P but i see what you mean haha!

:lol: i think Dominated Love Slave kind of defines that :P but i see what you mean haha!

I was thinking more like 2000 Light Years Away. :P

I was thinking more like 2000 Light Years Away. :P

I don't know why i keep thinking of Fuck Time :lol: but Last Night On Earth is a better example i think :P or 80 :lol:

I don't know why i keep thinking of Fuck Time :lol: but Last Night In Earth is a better example i think :P or 80 :lol:

I think you just ruined Last Night on Earth for me. :lol:

Missing You and Restless Heart Syndrome are another two.

I think you just ruined Last Night on Earth for me. :lol:

Missing You and Restless Heart Syndrome are another two.

I accidentally spelled it wrong :lol:

does Drama Queen count?

i just discovered this thread :D

Anyway, the first live video I ever saw of Green Day was American Idiot on BIAB and I too thought they were British.

The first music video I saw was BOBD and I honestly thought Billie was in his early 20's. So finding out he was in his 30's by the time I became a fan was shocking.

When I first became a fan at age 12 my mom didn't approve at all lol. She's verrrrry conservative and a huge Bush supporter and called them "liberal assholes". so you can imagine how that went. But I literally got down on my knees and begged her to take me to a concert and in August 2009 we went and she's loved em ever since. So I guess that was my mom's misconception, not mine.

why?

Don't take them seriously, they have an odd sense of humour. Everybody is welcome here. :hug:

Archived