Misconceptions you had about Green Day as a new fan

Todd

When I got back into Green Day around winter 2011, and I began downloading their albums, I thought Shenanigans was just a shitty studio album that didn't chart any singles.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first got into American Idiot just after the single came out, I thought Tre was the best drummer in rock.

I though Warning was hated by most fans, and Brain Stew was regarded as Insomniac's best.

I got into them when I was reeeaallly little (my mom gave me her copy of dookie when I was like, 4) and I remember seeing a picture of them at a store or something, recognizing Billie and Tre, and not having a clue who the fuck Mike was :lol:

I got into them when I was reeeaallly little (my mom gave me her copy of dookie when I was like, 4) and I remember seeing a picture of them at a store or something, recognizing Billie and Tre, and not having a clue who the fuck Mike was :lol:

I bet Longview was fun at that age.

When I first heard KYE, I assumed it was from a much older album because of how poor the lyrics were.

Also, the file of BOBD that I first heard cut off roughly three seconds before the end. I thought it was just like that until I finally downloaded the whole album.

When I first joined GDC I thought people on here liked Green Day

When I first joined GDC I thought people on here liked Green Day

We bitch because we love. :P

Back in 2009 when KYE came out, I remember seeing the music video on tv (lol who watches music videos on tv anymore) and liking the song :P

Before I figured out how singles are released and chart, I didn't understand how Letterbomb wasn't a hit.

I thought Warning was one of their more successful albums

I also thought Working Class Hero was on 21st Century Breakdown.

I also assumed Good Riddance was on Warning. Makes sense...

I thought they were like emo at first and then I was like ohhhhhhhhhhhh when I broke through the wall of misconceptions

And somehow my friend convinced me that they were like satan worshippers lol

The first Green Day album I ever listened to was American Idiot (the existence of which I learned via Weird Al's Canadian Idiot :D), followed up by 21st Century Breakdown, then backwards to Warning. Imagine my surprise when I finally listened to 1039 and Kerplunk.

Before I'd seen any pictures of them I always pictured Billie as a tall blonde dude

Back in 2009 when KYE came out, I remember seeing the music video on tv (lol who watches music videos on tv anymore) and liking the song :P

There was a music video for KYE?

Legitimately had it in my head that they all lived together in the same house when they got off touring :lol:

That the lead singer uses the alter ego Gerard Way for his side project My Chemical Romance

With no internet I assumed Dookie was their first album, and when I did hear about the existence of Kerplunk and 39/Smooth I assumed they wouldn't be available to buy or listen to and that I'd never hear them.

There was a music video for KYE?

Don't get excited about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IclmVdWNbI

I do enjoy Mike in the making of though, prefer it to the actual video

Before I'd seen any pictures of them I always pictured Billie as a tall blonde dude

First I thought Billie's natural hair color was really black. Then blonde. When I saw his pics as a kid having curly brownish (?) hair I didn't know what to believe anymore. :P

(Honestly though I didn't know what I was in at the time. You could've told me Tre's hair was really green and I would've gone 'O rly'?)

I once thought they were English. I was upset when I found out they were actually American.

I also thought BOBD was called "I Walk Alone" and had that title in my MSN personal message for ages.

Yes, most things about my childhood were embarrassing.

I used to think that Tré was the best drummer around. Same with Billie and Mike for their instruments. I also used to believe it was necessary to wear GD shirts all the time to show off being a fan.

... I was 12 so that pretty much sums up those thoughts in a nutshell.

My uncle gave me a CD with a bunch of different green day songs on it, for some reason semisonics closing time was on it too so for ages I thought that was a green day song and that Mike sung it :P

I remember reading that kerplunk was the first album they used tv/movie snippets, so when I first heard favourite son I assumed it was from that and got really confused as to why it wasn't on the track list.

When Dookie came out I thought Kerplunk was the bands first album as that's what I had been told. Imagine my surprise when going to a record store with my parents and seeing 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, it was like Christmas. Green Day was the gift that kept on giving.

Archived