Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Misconceptions you had about Green Day as a new fan

200 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

When I got back into Green Day around winter 2011, and I began downloading their albums, I thought Shenanigans was just a shitty studio album that didn't chart any singles.

Posted · Report post

When I first got into American Idiot just after the single came out, I thought Tre was the best drummer in rock.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I though Warning was hated by most fans, and Brain Stew was regarded as Insomniac's best. 

Posted · Report post

I got into them when I was reeeaallly little (my mom gave me her copy of dookie when I was like, 4) and I remember seeing a picture of them at a store or something, recognizing Billie and Tre, and not having a clue who the fuck Mike was  :lol:

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I got into them when I was reeeaallly little (my mom gave me her copy of dookie when I was like, 4) and I remember seeing a picture of them at a store or something, recognizing Billie and Tre, and not having a clue who the fuck Mike was  :lol:

I bet Longview was fun at that age.

Posted · Report post

When I first heard KYE, I assumed it was from a much older album because of how poor the lyrics were.

Also, the file of BOBD that I first heard cut off roughly three seconds before the end. I thought it was just like that until I finally downloaded the whole album.

Posted · Report post

When I first joined GDC I thought people on here liked Green Day

We bitch because we love. :P

Posted · Report post

Back in 2009 when KYE came out, I remember seeing the music video on tv (lol who watches music videos on tv anymore) and liking the song :p
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Before I figured out how singles are released and chart, I didn't understand how Letterbomb wasn't a hit.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I thought Warning was one of their more successful albums

I also thought Working Class Hero was on 21st Century Breakdown.

Posted · Report post

I also assumed Good Riddance was on Warning. Makes sense...

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I thought they were like emo at first and then I was like ohhhhhhhhhhhh when I broke through the wall of misconceptions

And somehow my friend convinced me that they were like satan worshippers lol

Posted · Report post

The first Green Day album I ever listened to was American Idiot (the existence of which I learned via Weird Al's Canadian Idiot :D), followed up by 21st Century Breakdown, then backwards to Warning. Imagine my surprise when I finally listened to 1039 and Kerplunk.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Before I'd seen any pictures of them I always pictured Billie as a tall blonde dude

Back in 2009 when KYE came out, I remember seeing the music video on tv (lol who watches music videos on tv anymore) and liking the song :p

There was a music video for KYE?

Posted · Report post

Legitimately had it in my head that they all lived together in the same house when they got off touring :lol:

Posted · Report post

That the lead singer uses the alter ego Gerard Way for his side project My Chemical Romance
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

With no internet I assumed Dookie was their first album, and when I did hear about the existence of Kerplunk and 39/Smooth I assumed they wouldn't be available to buy or listen to and that I'd never hear them.

There was a music video for KYE?

Don't get excited about it

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IclmVdWNbI[/media]

I do enjoy Mike in the making of though, prefer it to the actual video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxmDTgCW4c

Posted · Report post

Before I'd seen any pictures of them I always pictured Billie as a tall blonde dude

First I thought Billie's natural hair color was really black. Then blonde. When I saw his pics as a kid having curly brownish (?) hair I didn't know what to believe anymore. :p

(Honestly though I didn't know what I was in at the time. You could've told me Tre's hair was really green and I would've gone 'O rly'?)

Posted · Report post

I once thought they were English. I was upset when I found out they were actually American.

I also thought BOBD was called "I Walk Alone" and had that title in my MSN personal message for ages.

Yes, most things about my childhood were embarrassing.

Posted · Report post

I used to think that Tré was the best drummer around. Same with Billie and Mike for their instruments. I also used to believe it was necessary to wear GD shirts all the time to show off being a fan.

... I was 12 so that pretty much sums up those thoughts in a nutshell.

Posted · Report post

My uncle gave me a CD with a bunch of different green day songs on it, for some reason semisonics closing time was on it too so for ages I thought that was a green day song and that Mike sung it :P
I remember reading that kerplunk was the first album they used tv/movie snippets, so when I first heard favourite son I assumed it was from that and got really confused as to why it wasn't on the track list.

Posted · Report post

When Dookie came out I thought Kerplunk was the bands first album as that's what I had been told. Imagine my surprise when going to a record store with my parents and seeing 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, it was like Christmas. Green Day was the gift that kept on giving.

Posted · Report post

Don't get excited about it

Ah, I see why I'd forgotten about it