How would you introduce Green Day to your friends/family?

Todd

I did this very successfully with my sister. I did it by putting BIAB on while she was round, telling her amusing things about them and obviously just telling her I thought their music was good, and getting her to read the My Adventure With Green Day story in the Kerplunk booklet :lol:. That warmed her to them enough to borrow their CDs from me. She happened to listen to Warning first and it turned out Blood Sex And Booze was what made her realize they weren't just some boring pop punk band and were actually interesting and good, and became a massive fan from there. This might not work for everyone though lol.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually show them the 21 Guns video, which is my favorite, then contrast it with American Idiot (which I also love) because those are so different and give an idea of Green Day's variety and broadness. I would also have people listen to an interview with Green Day so they can get a feeling of what they are like as people - that they aren't just "sellout" rock star jerks, they're actually really nice, intelligent, and good people.

I know my dad has a lot more respect for Billie since I made him read the interview in Rolling Stone after the rehab and listen to an interview about the AI musical. He also really appreciates that he's a good singer now too because he likes Foreverly and some other songs that Billie has done on the side and not in Green Day.

I'd show some parts of Bullet in a bible because this live is just perfect, and would say BJ masturbates onstage from time to time. My parents would love it.

The photo in the OP was one of my absolute favourites when I was a wee one. :)

As for the actual question, I stopped doing this in about 1997, because it never worked. I must have been doing it the wrong way. I guess I should forget about that. :P

I'd probably book us a table at a nice restaurant and help guide through the small talk until they find a mutual ground ("Oh well Billie was quite into drugs, tell them about rehab Billie", "Did you know that Tre only has one gonad?") then just sit back and watch them become friends/lovers :wub:

anyone who has ever been in my room since i was 15 knows of Green Day thanks to the mass amount of posters.. but tbh i generally avoid introducing GD to people as one of two things happens. either they already know of them & like them, or they know of them & say 'you're a wannabe punk then huh' and i punch them in the dick.

I'd probably book us a table at a nice restaurant and help guide through the small talk until they find a mutual ground ("Oh well Billie was quite into drugs, tell them about rehab Billie", "Did you know that Tre only has one gonad?") then just sit back and watch them become friends/lovers :wub:

Me too: making sure, of course, to introduce Mike first, since I believe he would be the most likely to shake hands and perhaps say something halfway polite.

I introduced my (ageing) parents to GD by making them sing along to Green Day Rock band. They sang Pulling Teeth, Basket Case and American Idiot. They seemed to enjoy it, but thought they had been listening to three different bands! When I told them months later that I was going to see them live, they told me they'd never heard of them, so they made an impact then! Give up

Then, a really prudish Adele fan saw my posters on the wall in my office at work and asked who they were. I gave her my ipod and selected Horseshoes and Hand Grenades to wean her in gently. She said it sounded like Rainbow (?) Give up.

I am glad I am the only person I know who likes them. I'm special. And lonely.

I introduced my (ageing) parents to GD by making them sing along to Green Day Rock band. They sang Pulling Teeth, Basket Case and American Idiot. They seemed to enjoy it, but thought they had been listening to three different bands! When I told them months later that I was going to see them live, they told me they'd never heard of them, so they made an impact then! Give up

I do that with my mom! She's big on karaoke so it's kind of a compromise.

or they know of them & say 'you're a wannabe punk then huh' and i punch them in the dick.

Some...arguments....occurred over this in the distant past...

...OK, recent past...

...OK, 2013, before the show here.

Some...arguments....occurred over this in the distant past...

...OK, recent past...

...OK, 2013, before the show here.

Lots of dick punching I assume?

It was a girl. She also claimed I know shit about music. I then asked her about proto-punk and the first two psychedelic rock bands that existed and used the label. No answer. LOLOLOLOL.

I would show them King For A Day/ Shout (BIAB). That captures pretty much what I love the most in them. But other than that, I think I would give different songs to different people, depending on the music they usually listen to.

Pics? Probably a recent picture, not sure which one, but if they watched the BIAB clip, they have an idea already :P

It was a girl. She also claimed I know shit about music. I then asked her about proto-punk and the first two psychedelic rock bands that existed and used the label. No answer. LOLOLOLOL.

PUNCH HER IN HER LADY PEEN

Archived