Dirty Rotten Bastards

Joe Van Winkle

Hi guys, as you all may know, Green Day's 99 Revolutions tour is over, unless of course they have a few more club dates planned. Throughout the tour, they never played Dirty Rotten Bastards, not even once, so I want to hear your opinions. Could it be that Billie Joe found it too long and too fast to play live? (But, they've played Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming live many times!) Billie Joe even said once that this would be an arena sing along type song! Do you think Mike would be able to pull off that killer bass solo live?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I recall correctly, Mike said they were waiting for more sales or some other stupid reason before they played it (and other songs).

:(:cry:

And other trilogy songs too..they are all "forgotten".. like Lazy bones..walk away (Billie played like 30 seconds at Leeds and never again)

Who knows why..

Yeah, iScottie is right. I believe Mike was asked about it during an interview and he said they wanted to wait until ¡Tré! had higher sales numbers so people knew the song better.

But that didn't stop the band from playing "Brutal Love" and "Missing You." (I would say "X-Kid" as well but it was a single)

If I recall correctly, Mike said they were waiting for more sales or some other stupid reason before they played it (and other songs).

Where did you get that from?

Where did you get that from?

He said it to some fans during a meet and greet he did when the US tour started last march

The way I see it, the song had such a feel of rousing camaraderie to it from the band itself that if the audience didn't know it that well, the song would lose some of its magic. But everyone knows that the opening riff of Minority fits into the end of DRB like a hand into a glove (unless you're OJ Simpson). I want to see it live so badly :cry:

I feel indifferent about Dirty Rotten in particular, but I wish they'd play more than the same few trilogy songs every show (a couple more from ¡Dos!, particularly). Even Kill the DJ or Sweet 16 would've been cool every now and then, I think. Amy and Drama Queen would've made for nice acoustic songs.

Not trilogy-related, but I really wish they'd drop Know Your Enemy and choose another 21st Century Breakdown song.

I feel indifferent about Dirty Rotten in particular, but I wish they'd play more than the same few trilogy songs every show (a couple more from ¡Dos!, particularly). Even Kill the DJ or Sweet 16 would've been cool every now and then, I think. Amy and Drama Queen would've made for nice acoustic songs.

Not trilogy-related, but I really wish they'd drop Know Your Enemy and choose another 21st Century Breakdown song.

KYE is one of their best singles. They're not gonna drop it. There aren't any better singles from that album except 21Guns, but Idk if you want them to play that instead

KYE is one of their best selling singles. They're not gonna drop it. There aren't any better singles from that album except 21Guns, but Idk if you want them to play that instead

I would rather them play almost anything else from 21CB. I need my Murder City fix!

KYE is one of their best singles. They're not gonna drop it. There aren't any better singles from that album except 21Guns, but Idk if you want them to play that instead

Yes.

Didn't Billie somewhat address this on the Jeff Matika show? He said something about playing it before all of Dookie? I think his words were "Dirty Rotten Dookie" or something like that.

Didn't Billie somewhat address this on the Jeff Matika show? He said something about playing it before all of Dookie? I think his words were "Dirty Rotten Dookie" or something like that.

Oh yeah you're right. Totally forgot about that till now..but still..

. The tour is over and it was never played :(

Btw they soundchecked it in Milan last May...

I'm not sure why. It doesn't have the depth or personality like JoS has but it's still a song that's grand in scale and I think it'd be a great one to hear live, even if people don't know the words. But they've done this before in not playing perfectly good upbeat songs. In the 21stCB era Billie was interviewed saying he'd love to play Christian's Inferno live to hear the crowd learn and sing the chorus but it never happened.

Looking forward to a discussion on this song :)

:(:cry:

And other trilogy songs too..they are all "forgotten".. like Lazy bones..walk away (Billie played like 30 seconds at Leeds and never again)

Who knows why..

Because those songs, are songs, which are really emotional for Billie. Like Lazy Bones or Restless Heart Syndrome, I think we'll never hear those again.

If they're making decisions based on album sales, they need to rethink things

Because those songs, are songs, which are really emotional for Billie. Like Lazy Bones or Restless Heart Syndrome, I think we'll never hear those again.

Yeah I know..and it's a pity cause those (Restless heart included)are my favourite Green Day songs.. so maybe is it the same for Dirty Rotten Bastards?? Maybe parts like: "next stop is theraphy" or the "Julianna Homicide makes my demons come to life" are hard to sing for Billie?

This is extremely sad. :cry:

I really thought it was going to be that one song to get everyone pumped up and singing along near the end of the set (and it would even work with a crowd that doesn't know the lyrics, so not selling enough is a stupid excuse, I need another explanation Green Day!)

Oh yeah you're right. Totally forgot about that till now..but still..
. The tour is over and it was never played :(

Btw they soundchecked it in Milan last May...

This is even worse, the bastards always play awesome songs at soundchecks and then totally ditch them for the actual shows! :angry:

This is extremely sad. :cry:

I really thought it was going to be that one song to get everyone pumped up and singing along near the end of the set (and it would even work with a crowd that doesn't know the lyrics, so not selling enough is a stupid excuse, I need another explanation Green Day!)

This is even worse, the bastards always play awesome songs at soundchecks and then totally ditch them for the actual shows! :angry:

I can totally see how they would do it!

Yeeeaaaahhh! Yeaaahhh Yeahhhh!!!

SAY HEY OH!!!! C'MON!!!!

SAY HEY OH!!!!

Calling all demons this is the season....

By the way, does anyone have any video of the Milan soundcheck?

Dirty Rotten isn't a great song at all, but I'll admit it would be interesting to hear.

I still really wish I could have heard Lazy Bones live, that song was simply wow.

The song makes no sense. Glad they didn't play it.

IT'S FUCKING GREAT MATE.

Dirty Rotten Bastards is a weird one for me. It starts off sounding like a sing along for pirates but when it picks up with the 'Juliana homicide, make my demons come to life', 'California's burnin' down' and that guitar solo, it's an orgasm for the ears. So good. Then it ends pretty weak.

Archived