How often does Green Day mess up live?

Todd

As the frontman of a band who also plays guitar, you have a lot to think about; Performing in a way that's interesting to watch while you're stuck to the microphone, playing the right guitar part, playing said guitar part IN SYNC with the rhythm section, switching between pedals, remembering the lyrics, trying to sing the right notes...

Whenever I see/hear Billie mess up, it reminds me of myself. I mess up within an 8 song setlist, he's playing a 30 song setlist, and putting a hell of a lot more into his stage presence than I do.

Also, forgetting lyrics is a nightmare for me... your head is scrambling trying to remember even that one word that will remind of the rest... Imagine doing that in front of 20,000 other people who all know the lyrics

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the frontman of a band who also plays guitar, you have a lot to think about; Performing in a way that's interesting to watch while you're stuck to the microphone, playing the right guitar part, playing said guitar part IN SYNC with the rhythm section, switching between pedals, remembering the lyrics, trying to sing the right notes...

Whenever I see/hear Billie mess up, it reminds me of myself. I mess up within an 8 song setlist, he's playing a 30 song setlist, and putting a hell of a lot more into his stage presence than I do.

Also, forgetting lyrics is a nightmare for me... your head is scrambling trying to remember even that one word that will remind of the rest... Imagine doing that in front of 20,000 other people who all know the lyrics

A few debatable things there. He doesn't mess with his rig or pedals live, guitar techs do. The songs become muscle memory and he can be thinking about everything but the song no problem and still play through and put on a show. My bands songs are drilled so hard in my head I barely think about the songs when playing shows. And usually small crowds are more intimidating than arenas as weird as it sounds.

I've never had that experience, but it seems really tough.

Archived