How often does Green Day mess up live?

Todd

He forgot the words to Brain Stew at Rosemont

He forgot Brain Stew always

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guitar was completely out of tune to the point that when the roadie came onstage halfway through the song to switch guitars (it was really unplayable) he smashed it on the ground instead. I was impressed he managed to make it sound any way decent to be honest.

Yeeah I know, but in the beginning of the song (3rd line) he played it wrong :)

Mike messed up on 409 In Your Coffeemaker at Irving Plaza, he forgot a lot, but that's understandable since they hadn't played it since 2001

Mike messed up on 409 In Your Coffeemaker at Irving Plaza, he forgot a lot, but that's understandable since they hadn't played it since 2001

You'd have thought they'd have practiced it at some point before the show though :P

When they have one fucking minute left

That's it; you win the thread. We can all go home.

I know there's one video of Billie performing Good Riddance live on New Year's and he's so drunk he can't remember the words, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

And on Time of your Life, Billie is completely drunk and apologizes for it! hahaaha

You'd have thought they'd have practiced it at some point before the show though :P

It was spontaneous :P

During Nuclear Family in 2012 Billie was doing a guitar solo and forgot he had to sing after it

I really love when he fucks up and just laughs about it. :wub:

Mansfield, MA in 2010. Mike mistimed a jump during the Celtic part of 21st Century Breakdown and ended up hitting the note a beat too early. Then he looked out to the crowd with his "Oops!" face.

Not sure if this was mentioned but Billie Joe messed up the lyrics a little.

I'm surprised they don't mess up more. There is so much to remember.

Also this

I'm surprised they don't mess up more. There is so much to remember.

Playing stuff from memory just becomes second nature after a while, though. I've always found it weird how many songs it's possible to remember, but there it is. Even more so when they're your own songs.

I have a feeling Billie's messing up a lot more because he hasn't been able to take pills to help him sleep anymore. I'm pretty sure in that old Rolling Stone interview about his rehab he said he was an insomniac.

I have a feeling Billie's messing up a lot more because he hasn't been able to take pills to help him sleep anymore. I'm pretty sure in that old Rolling Stone interview about his rehab he said he was an insomniac.

Except he isn't messing up a lot more. He's always messed up sometimes, the amount hasn't changed. Not that we'd be able to draw that conclusion as to why even if he was messing up more since we know nothing about his personal health issues, plus it isn't our business anyway.

Playing stuff from memory just becomes second nature after a while, though. I've always found it weird how many songs it's possible to remember, but there it is. Even more so when they're your own songs.

I think it's amazing that I can memorize almost 140 songs but not dates for history class.

Except he isn't messing up a lot more. He's always messed up sometimes, the amount hasn't changed.

I feel like people turn a blind eye to this thing a lot more than is logical. Sure, he's made mistakes before, but I think it's pretty clear that they're worse lately. JoS at Reading is just embarrassing.

I started a thread for videos of this a while back. It's in the old downloads archive somewhere, I think it's titled "Green Day Fuck-Ups" or just "Fuck-Ups". Hit up that search bar.

I feel like people turn a blind eye to this thing a lot more than is logical. Sure, he's made mistakes before, but I think it's pretty clear that they're worse lately. JoS at Reading is just embarrassing.

Probably because it isn't true. I've been watching lots of videos of their live performances during the 21st century breakdown era, I was at two shows during both the 21st cb and Trilogy era and I can see no difference in the amount of his mess-ups. I guess after the whole rehab situation people just like to overanalyse all of his live performances and watch him more closely. While it didn't use to matter ao much if he messed up the lyrics a little bit oder played a wrong note every now and then, people now start to make a big deal out of it. Maybe Reading just wasn't a good day for him if he made more mistakes than usual, not every day is the same. Saying it was embarrassing is a huge exaggeration anyway and even then, that one show is no proof of how he's making more mistakes all the time now. I remember someone comparing Reading to Brixton a few days before and saying he made a lot more mistakes in his guitar playing at Reading and as I don't think his overall skills at guitar declined so much over two days, I assume it was just his "form on the day".

I feel like people are seeing things that aren't there because they're looking too hard/expecting to see things since Billie was in rehab :thumbsup:

There is also an acoustic version of She's a rebel and he sings like "aaandd I forgot the lyrics" lol

I feel like people are seeing things that aren't there because they're looking too hard/expecting to see things since Billie was in rehab :thumbsup:

Pretty much. We're much more aware of the differences in Billie now.

I think it's amazing that I can memorize almost 140 songs but not dates for history class.

You should write songs about the dates :P

Tried to once, the day off a test. :lol:

I always do that!!!

I wrote a song for the name of the human bones so I could remember them when I was 12 and it worked! I still remember that :lol:

Archived