Green Day going to China to tour this June?

Aaron Maple

Havn't heard any word of this, but exciting. I hope the guys get a good break before they go.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should take Justin Bieber with them and push him over the North Korean border.

I thought 'they've already been to China!' but then I remembered that was the name of Aaron Cometbus's zine lol.

It would be cool but I don't see a few peoples tweets and instagram posts being legit.

Aaron's book is awesome but they never actually played in mainland China (the title is intentionally ironic) and it seems very unlikely to me that they would be allowed to.

Aaron's book is awesome but they never actually played in mainland China (the title is intentionally ironic) and it seems very unlikely to me that they would be allowed to.

Why would it be unlikely?

I don't think Green Day is currently allowed to perform in China. There's an official list where all artists get published as soon as they are accepted to perform (along with which songs they are allowed to play) but Green Day doesn't seem to be on it.

The promotor may have requested the performences though, probably takes some time before the Chinese government accept/declines those requests, I've got no idea how those sort of things work :P, it still seems like a somewhat unlikely rumour.

I really doubt they'll play in China with a tour called "99 Revolutions Tour" which the first song is called "99 Revolutions".

I saw someone on instagram comment on one of the guys' pics "Seeing you in May!" or something like that. It puzzled me, cause there are no May dates.

I doubt this is true man. This just sounds like the desperate rumour people make every time a band announces a break or a hiatus. Plus, like others are saying, Green Day aren't even allowed to perform there.

Green Day in China? As someone of Chinese decent, I can say this- Hell no.

I was back in China for a over 2 months the summer of 2012, and no one, absolutely no one, had ever heard of Green Day. And during my time there, I was in Harbin, Beijing, Changsha, Shanghai, XingDao, Hangzhou etc. Which spans from nearly the most northern parts of china to parts of the south. I was curious about the presence of GD in china, so I asked around.

Plus I looked for GD albums there as I wanted to buy some. And I never found any. I went to all of the stores that sold cd's and looked. Not a single GD disk to be seen. I also asked the storekeepers of those stores, and none of them had any clue what GD was, even after me trying various translations and explanations of the band.

Also, even if people knew who GD was, they wouldn't be welcome or liked. Because GD is simply not a band that goes well with Chinese culture. Nor the government for that matter. I showed and translated some GD songs (American Idiot, Blvd, Longview, Basket Case etc- the more "popular" songs) for my cousins and they looked at me with horror and disgust, and were very much concerned that I listened to this type of music.

So yeah. No way. Just no. This rumor can go away now.

How different is Hong Kong from mainland China? Sorry, I don't know much about my Asian geography. Green Day played there in 2010 though

Green Day played in Tokyo for Awesome as Fuck...are Tokyo and China like the same thing?

Green Day played in Tokyo for Awesome as Fuck...are Tokyo and China like the same thing?

Kind of. China is in Tokyo.

Kind of. China is in Tokyo.

Ok...thanks. I knew that there was some type of similarity there. Is Tokyo where the Great Wall runs through?

Ok...thanks. I knew that there was some type of similarity there. Is Tokyo where the Great Wall runs through?

Where the great wall meets the yellow mountain.

Two names for the same continent I think.

Doesn't really work when you're not American, does it? :P

No, dude. Fucking dumb ass American. The great wall surrounds the city of China and keeps people from Tokyo out (except for the Chinese obviously). That's why this is a big deal, they've never let a punk band inside the great wall.

Guys, please don't fuck with me...I'm being serious. I would appreciate it if you helped instead of being assholes. Thanks.

Guys, please don't fuck with me...I'm being serious. I would appreciate it if you helped instead of being assholes. Thanks.

Wait.... if you legit dont know, Tokyo is in Japan. Which is a series of islands off the coast of China.

Wait.... if you legit dont know, Tokyo is in Japan. Which is a series of islands off the coast of China.

I said be serious, Tokyo is NOT in Japan. I know that for sure.

I said be serious, Tokyo is NOT in Japan. I know that for sure.

Silly me.

With all seriousness, Tokyo is a country in the clouds above china so they are practically the same thing, yes. Kind of like heaven y'know.

Archived